The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 05:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

You asked what mistake there was to "eat." Jim quickly, succinctly, and accurately provided you with three. Then you get defensive when you don't like the answers he provided.

Sheesh.

Rich
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
You asked what mistake there was to "eat." Jim quickly, succinctly, and accurately provided you with three. Then you get defensive when you don't like the answers he provided.

Sheesh.
It is not often that I agree with Bfair, but I do share the following sentiments he expressed much earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair in reply to Alligator Bag
BTW, I want to compliment you on your candor to bring a situation like this to the forum.
It's difficult to admit error, but situations like this help us learn..........
FWIW, although there is no question that Jim's reply was everything you said it was, it is possible to read an accusatory tone into the last paragraph - whether or not Jim actually intended that to be the case. I believe that is what Al was reacting to.

Maybe we should ALL simply agree that TEXT messages cannot accurately convey the underlying TONE or INTENT of a post or the poster, and end this discussion on that note before it degenerates into yet another "he said/you said" pi$$ing contest. What do you say, Mr Deputy Scheriff?

Cheers
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

I think another mistake that was made here that I've not seen mentioned is that your final decision was to call a BOOT infraction.

BOOT is an appeal play.
The situation was not appealed, but the penalty was still imposed by the officials.

Even your chosen remedy was not in accordance with the rules when you made the decision to remedy the previous errors. That is not meant to fault your decision, but only to highlight that when looking for a remedy to a third world situation you need to look for something supported by the rules and supported by fairness for the situation.

While offense, defense, or officials could have been alert to note the irregularity as it occurred---none did. Still, the final outcome allowed the defense to benefit from the situation when they had done absolutely nothing to earn that benefit.

Freix

Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by Alligator Bag
Mr. Porter,
I understand that the mistake is ours. We all know we should pay attention. I for one am human. Since evidently you haven't mistakingly put the ball in play or awarded undeserved bases, you can't relate to this post. I simply put it out for discussion to see if it may be covered under any rule and hope that the rest of us learn from it.
Have a great day
I'm sorry, but you didn't say that you understood the mistake was yours. You said, "I am a little confused as to what mistake there is to 'eat'. Now you know.

You're right that I've never mistakenly put the ball in play or awarded undeserved bases. I guess when I was young and green I got lucky and didn't make any errors like that. Now, though, I know better and the reason I don't make those kinds of mistakes are because I carefully check the field constantly to make sure the runners and fielders are all where they're supposed to be. That's a good habit to get into.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Porter
You're right that I've never mistakenly put the ball in play or awarded undeserved bases. I guess when I was young and green I got lucky and didn't make any errors like that.
Wish I could say as much for myself...

"I am not judged by the number of times I fail, but by the number of times I succeed. And the number of times I succeed is in direct proportion to the number of times I can fail and keep trying."

Experience can be expensive, but my God, it is a good teacher.

Keep tryin' man!
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Oh, I never said I didn't make any mistakes. I just didn't make that particular mistake. Believe me, I've made my fair share. I'm making considerably fewer mistakes these days, though.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Alligator Bag

Here is the sitch. Runners on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out. 3-0 count and I from B position call balk. Score R3 and place R2 at 3rd. Junior high game.

I go to home book and ask to see it and find out if I missed placing the runner.

As it turns out, runner on 1st was batter and had a 3-0 count when he took off for 1st after the balk.
Now what?!

After much thought this is what I went with.
I called batting out of order. I placed runner from 3rd who scored back to 3rd.
Called the proper batter, now runner at 2nd, out.
And placed the batter who grounded out, the proper batter, back at the plate to bat.
Did I kick this or do you have anything else?

First things first. DO NOT go to the HOME-BOOK. IMO, that's the same as loosing the count and then asking the coach what the count is.

Whenever, there is confusion the first thing to do is GO TO YOUR PARTNER to settle it.

I would not have called BOO.

IMO, there's 2 trains of thought.

First one. Both the OFFENSE / DEFENSE should know the rules and KNOW what's going on. If the defensive coach was paying attention, he /she should have immediately requested TIME and asked what was B1 doing on first base.

He didn't. IMO that's a similar scenario to BOO, meaning if the Defense isn't smart enough to catch it - TOO Bad. Just ask Mr. Torre of the Yanks.

Therefore, you could let play stand.

Second one. As others have said "Do Over" meaning put everything back the way it was After the Balk call. The problem with that approach is: Suppose the batter hit one out of the park. Why should the HR be negated because of an umpire error.

Your ENTIRE situation could have easily been avoided if

1. You met with your partner first. You noticed B1 on First - Leave him there. The way out is to say B1 originally walked. After all as mentioned the defense did not question B1 in the first place.

Therefore, in summary your BIGGEST mistake was going to the Home Book First and not consulting with your partner. Then you compounded matters by calling BOO.

Whever, one messes up, Call TIME consult with one another and come up with the best solution. Also, talk about it after the game to avoid in the future.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Mr. Booth,

I went to my partner first PU and asked him where runner came from, he replied he didn't know. That is when I went to home book. I believe I stated that in original post, but may have skipped it. I now know I should have waited for an appeal for BOOT but probably knowing in the back of my mind this could all have been avoided, once I got to what sounded like a fair decision and a remedy to #%^&ed up play, I bounced on it.
We talked about it afterward and I was disgusted with myself for taking for granted in a Jr. High game, my partner who is not the strongest official, would be fine and I let my guard down.
Fool my once shame on you, fool my twice, shame on me!
NEVER AGAIN.