The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Double set position for the pitcher? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/98234-double-set-position-pitcher.html)

Brblueump44 Mon Jul 28, 2014 01:12pm

Double set position for the pitcher?

So Im watching an American Legion state championship game last night and the home teams left handed pitcher was definitely making a double set. There was a 3 man umpire crew on calling this game. The pitchers first set to a stop comes about equal to his mouth. His second set came to a stop, more than a few times it was rolled through, was just below his shoulders. No balk was ever called.

While Im watching the game in the 4th inning the head of umpires walks up to me and I bring his attention to the pitcher and this "double set". The pitcher does it again, I was told that was marginal. I said "keep watching." The next pitch he said to me "now that was a balk." I told him to watch and see if he rolls through the lower set postion, which he did. His next comment was "now that's another balk."

In a close game we had runners on third and on first base, this action that was being ignored was definitely decieving our runners on first.

So my question is do you call the balk after the first inning or do you let the pitcher to continue to abuse it and get the unfair advantage?

The head of umpires told me if they didn't call it by the 2nd inning that it wouldn't be called.

jicecone Mon Jul 28, 2014 01:37pm

Of course this is a HTBT situation but, just because it is the Championship game, doesn't always mean Championship caliber officials are working it.

Which is the assignor's fault.

The good Ole Boy system is still alive and well in many, many areas.

bob jenkins Mon Jul 28, 2014 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brblueump44 (Post 938376)
So my question is do you call the balk after the first inning or do you let the pitcher to continue to abuse it and get the unfair advantage?

Depends. If I missed it the first time, I'll try to get it the next.

But if I judged it to be legal the first time, then I'll judge it to be legal the next. Your judgment and my judgment might be different of course.

And, what was your role in this? Fan? Coach? Either way, I don't think the "head of umpires" should be talking to almost anyone during the game.

MD Longhorn Mon Jul 28, 2014 02:39pm

Head of Umpires...

UIC or TD?

UMP45 Mon Jul 28, 2014 05:24pm

Quote:

So Im watching an American Legion state championship game last night and the home teams left handed pitcher was definitely making a double set. There was a 3 man umpire crew on calling this game. The pitchers first set to a stop comes about equal to his mouth. His second set came to a stop, more than a few times it was rolled through, was just below his shoulders. No balk was ever called.

While Im watching the game in the 4th inning the head of umpires walks up to me and I bring his attention to the pitcher and this "double set". The pitcher does it again, I was told that was marginal. I said "keep watching." The next pitch he said to me "now that was a balk." I told him to watch and see if he rolls through the lower set postion, which he did. His next comment was "now that's another balk."

In a close game we had runners on third and on first base, this action that was being ignored was definitely decieving our runners on first.

The head of umpires told me if they didn't call it by the 2nd inning that it wouldn't be called.

It was none of your business what they called or didn't call. You just threw your BROTHERS under the bus! And you were a spectator at that. If I was on the crew, and found out about this, we would have come to Jesus meeting!

Publius Tue Jul 29, 2014 08:08pm

Quote:

I told him to watch and see if he rolls through the lower set postion, which he did.

He stopped, then "rolled through" a second stop? Pitchers do that all the time. It's called a "pitch" or "delivery".

umpjim Tue Jul 29, 2014 09:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 938505)
He stopped, then "rolled through" a second stop? Pitchers do that all the time. It's called a "pitch" or "delivery".

When we let them get away with a "double" stop, being that we see a wiggle or whatever at the top, we should enforce the stop at the bottom. When pitchers do this with R1 they will try to cheat at the bottom. With R2 they don't cheat.
But, I'm amazed that a coach has never sent a runner at the top stop and pushed the issue.

Rich Ives Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:28pm

So three umpires and the entire opposing team didn't notice it or care. Right? So just maybe it's not a balk.

ozzy6900 Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 938509)
So three umpires and the entire opposing team didn't notice it or care. Right? So just maybe it's not a balk.

Come on, Rich! You know that you can see everything better from the stands, don't you?

Rich Ives Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 938527)
Come on, Rich! You know that you can see everything better from the stands, don't you?

Folks can coach better from the stands too. :)

ozzy6900 Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 938530)
Folks can coach better from the stands too. :)

LOL!!! You're absolutely right!

Tim C Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:29am

ô!ô

Screen Name: Brblueump44

Quote from Post: " . . . we had runners on third and on first base, this action that was being ignored was definitely decieving our runners on first.

My Call: Fan Boy.

UES Thu Jul 31, 2014 08:40pm

Im with Rich on this one. Over the years, i have found that i call less & less balks at the higher levels. Given the situation as described, I may have discussed the move with one of my other partners in between innings to get his thoughts on it. If no one's complaining and the pitcher is not purposely doing it to keep the runner from getting a good jump, then I may just take a pass on it. Im not a big fan of calling balks that everyone in the house is wondering why you called a balk. If at all possible, i like to get balks early in the game and when it doesnt cost the team dearly. Obviously, that's not always the case but im not one to unecessarily interject myself into the game to showcase my strict interpretation of the balk rule. I'll sit back now and wait to get flamed by the rule book umpires :-o

jicecone Thu Jul 31, 2014 09:56pm

I have found that doing higher level baseball usually HAS less balks therefore, there are less to call. But, I am certainly not waiting for complaints in order to start calling balks. If you have to discuss whether or not a balk occurred, then obviously you are not up on what is, or is not a balk.

I don't believe this has anything to do about being a rule book umpire either, it is about doing your job. You are paid to umpire and know the rules, and enforce the penalties, when there is violation observed. Not when you feel like it.

Now I am not trying to come across as an ahole however, you can still be a nice guy and not interject yourself into the game but, do the job you are getting paid for.