The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   UVA Vandy collision (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/98100-uva-vandy-collision-video.html)

DRJ1960 Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:25pm

UVA Vandy collision (Video)

Can one of the NCAA guys explain what the decision on the baserunners was in the 8th on the collision at third?

thanks

BigTex Wed Jun 25, 2014 07:36am

They called the runner out for OFFENSIVE INTERFERENCE, not out because he was tagged.

6-2-g:
A.R. 2—
If the umpire declares the batter, batter-runner or a runner out for offensive
interference, all other runners shall return to the last base that was legally attained at the time of the interference.

Third base still legally belonged to the runner who was called out for interference, therefore the following runner was only legally entitled to second.

bob jenkins Wed Jun 25, 2014 08:00am

Didn't see the play, but the same ruling would hold true in OBR and FED.

nopachunts Wed Jun 25, 2014 08:03am

I don't see how that MC wasn't called on Papi. You could clearly see that he dropped his shoulder into F5.

johnnyg08 Wed Jun 25, 2014 01:15pm

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/k6zuXT6tpnI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

STL_UMP Wed Jun 25, 2014 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopachunts (Post 936687)
I don't see how that MC wasn't called on Papi. You could clearly see that he dropped his shoulder into F5.

Just curious on this sitch... how is he supposed to get back to the base with the fielder standing directly in his way?

nopachunts Wed Jun 25, 2014 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL_UMP (Post 936723)
Just curious on this sitch... how is he supposed to get back to the base with the fielder standing directly in his way?

Somehow other than dropping his right shoulder and plowing into F5. I'm not arguing that the fielder is between the runner and 3B, I'm saying he dropped his shoulder, should have been MC.

MD Longhorn Wed Jun 25, 2014 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL_UMP (Post 936723)

The easy answer is ... he's not.

The fielder has the ball and is between him and the base... why would you think there must be a way that he's "supposed" to get back to the base?

Rich Wed Jun 25, 2014 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 936727)
The easy answer is ... he's not.

The fielder has the ball and is between him and the base... why would you think there must be a way that he's "supposed" to get back to the base?

Exactly right. Sometimes the runner should just accept that he's going to be out.

nopachunts Wed Jun 25, 2014 04:27pm

Does anyone else have MC on Papi?

jicecone Wed Jun 25, 2014 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopachunts (Post 936737)
Does anyone else have MC on Papi?

Unless you have seen the entire play, I am not sure how anyone can make a call from the sitting position at home. There is just not enough shown here.

johnnyg08 Wed Jun 25, 2014 05:52pm

Fair enough jicecone

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/SNjIyWH6hxc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JJ Wed Jun 25, 2014 08:11pm

MC. Of course, I have the benefit of seeing it in slow-mo from a better angle than any of the umpires.

JJ

jicecone Wed Jun 25, 2014 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 936741)
MC. Of course, I have the benefit of seeing it in slow-mo from a better angle than any of the umpires.

JJ

Thanks JJ.

Your right, easy call. MC. Definitely dropped the shoulder.

nopachunts Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:07am

I was watching in real time and told my wife they were going to eject him. Didn't take replay for me. I thought the runner's interference was a lame call.