The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Balk?

Came across this Question/Answer about a balk on the web. Shouldn't the umpire have called a balk on himself?

Jordan asked: I was recently umpiring a baseball game and I was the field umpire.

My partner that was behind the plate called a balk that basically ended the game because it put a runner in scoring position.

What happened was the pitcher threw the pitch; but the batter was not set yet and was still bringing his foot into the box from getting his signs.

My partner called a balk on the pitcher for not waiting for the batter to be "reasonable set".

I always thought this was just a no pitch, but I just want to make sure he made the right call.

Thanks
JP

Rick answered: Jordan, thank you for your question.

The rule covering this particular situation is Rule 6 Sec 1 Pitching Art 1...The pitcher shall pitch while facing the batter from either a windup position or a set position. The position of his feet determine whether he will pitch from the windup or set position. He shall take his sign from the catcher with his pivot foot in contact with the pitcher's plate.

The pitching regulations begin when he intentionally contacts the pitcher's plate. Turning the shoulders to check the runners while in contact with the pitcher's plate in the set position is legal. Turning the shoulders after bringing the hands together during or after the stretch is a balk.

He shall not make a quick-return pitch in an attempt to catch the batter off balance.

Plate umpires almost always will have a hand extended towards the pitcher until the batter gets himself completely in the box, at which time he will signal the pitcher he can go.

The pitcher must have just gone ahead, whether looking for an advantage, or just lost his focus.

Sounds like a costly error on his part, moving the runner into scoring position.

Plate umpire's call was correct, even if he hadn't extended a hold on the pitcher.

Yours in baseball,

Rick
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

If the hand was up, time was out, and there can be no balk.

Without the hand up, then it sounds like a quick pitch, and the call was correct (but some preventive umpiring could have been taken -- and maybe it had been taken earlier, so now it was time to enforce the rule)
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

You, as the plate umpire should control the game whether it is the first or last inning, batter or pitch of the game. Although I don't know all the details that led up to this call, but something like this is totally preventable.

On the surface, it seems as though the official did not do his job and as a result, had to make an unnecessary call. If the batter was not ready I would be calling time and make sure there was no pitch.

Technically a balk can be called but, professionally as an official it may have not been necessary.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAZBA View Post
Came across this Question/Answer about a balk on the web. Shouldn't the umpire have called a balk on himself?
Dunno who Rick is, but he shouldn't be answering umpiring questions.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Dunno who Rick is, but he shouldn't be answering umpiring questions.
Why not? It was a quick pitch which is a balk. And his comment about putting up a do-not-pitch sign is in line with standard thought/management. Maybe the PU should have put up the sign but he didn't. Doesn't excuse the quick pitch.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 09:03am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Why not? It was a quick pitch which is a balk. And his comment about putting up a do-not-pitch sign is in line with standard thought/management. Maybe the PU should have put up the sign but he didn't. Doesn't excuse the quick pitch.
While I agree w/ Rich. For me it depends on the level. Try to work with your catchers to make sure they're not giving the signs until the batter is set. At any level that I work if I let that happened, that's on me but I'm also going to balk it.

BUT, if I miss it and my partner gets the balk...by rule it's a balk. Plain and simple.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is implicit in Rick's answer that a quick pitch (balk) is the correct call even if the umpire's hand is up. That is wrong. Rick's last sentence would be correct if 'even' were changed to 'only'. Everything else (except the rule quote) is wrong.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 09:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
While I agree w/ Rich. For me it depends on the level. Try to work with your catchers to make sure they're not giving the signs until the batter is set. At any level that I work if I let that happened, that's on me but I'm also going to balk it.

BUT, if I miss it and my partner gets the balk...by rule it's a balk. Plain and simple.
I am not one to put a hand up. If a batter isn't ready and the pitcher is either starting to pitch or is about to, I'll call time and have them reset.

I will tell batters who ask for time, "I won't let him throw till you're ready."

By rule? I guess it could be a balk. Never in a million years would I call it that way. I'd call time and have them reset.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I am not one to put a hand up. If a batter isn't ready and the pitcher is either starting to pitch or is about to, I'll call time and have them reset.

I will tell batters who ask for time, "I won't let him throw till you're ready."

By rule? I guess it could be a balk. Never in a million years would I call it that way. I'd call time and have them reset.
That's pretty much the way I handle it.

You can't have a balk for a quick pitch unless the pitcher delivers an actual (live ball) pitch, and that should never be allowed to happen.

If F1 tries to throw a quick-pitch, I will kill the ball and tell him: "don't start your motion/stretch until he's looking at you." If he continues to ignore this directive, he gets ejected (haven't had to do that yet), but I will never have to balk a quick-pitch because there will never be one.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You can't have a balk for a quick pitch unless the pitcher delivers an actual (live ball) pitch, and that should never be allowed to happen.

If F1 tries to throw a quick-pitch, I will kill the ball and tell him: "don't start your motion/stretch until he's looking at you." If he continues to ignore this directive, he gets ejected (haven't had to do that yet), but I will never have to balk a quick-pitch because there will never be one.
Exactly!!!
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

THANK YOU! That was a great explanation!
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 10:51am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

I don't put the hand up either.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is implicit in Rick's answer that a quick pitch (balk) is the correct call even if the umpire's hand is up. That is wrong. Rick's last sentence would be correct if 'even' were changed to 'only'. Everything else (except the rule quote) is wrong.
How should it be handled if the pitcher throws when the batter isn't looking but time is out? It's just as dangerous.

Rule 8.05(e) Comment: . . . . The quick pitch is dangerous and should not be permitted.

Can't give the pitcher a free shot can we?

Warn?

Warn after the trainer hauls the batter off on a stretcher?

Call it unsportsmanlike and eject (don't need a live ball here)?
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 01:51pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
How should it be handled if the pitcher throws when the batter isn't looking but time is out? It's just as dangerous.
If time is out, then there cannot be a balk, as has already been stated. Balks can only occur during a live ball.

I agree that it is dangerous, and it shouldn't happen if the PU is paying attention. But if it does happen, a warning to the pitcher is appropriate.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rule 8.05(e) Comment: . . . . The quick pitch is dangerous and should not be permitted.

Can't give the pitcher a free shot can we?

Warn?

Warn after the trainer hauls the batter off on a stretcher?

Call it unsportsmanlike and eject (don't need a live ball here)?
Whatever you like, but unless the ball is live, it can't be an illegal pitch (balk).