The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Foul Tip (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/97854-foul-tip.html)

JR12 Sun May 04, 2014 03:40pm

Foul Tip

I would have called Foul Ball.
Thoughts. .. CBSSports.com APP
550220/video-yadier-molina-catches-foul-tip-with-thigh-no-really

Robert Goodman Sun May 04, 2014 05:56pm

Can't watch the video, but does it make a difference? If he caught it before it hit the ground, isn't it either a fly out or a foul tip held by the catcher after 2 previous strikes? I could see differences if further plays were possible, but as to the batter, isn't he out either way? Or is there some in-between where a ball hit into foul ground can neither be caught there for an out nor considered a tip direct to the catcher?

bob jenkins Sun May 04, 2014 06:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 933329)
Can't watch the video, but does it make a difference? If he caught it before it hit the ground, isn't it either a fly out or a foul tip held by the catcher after 2 previous strikes? I could see differences if further plays were possible, but as to the batter, isn't he out either way? Or is there some in-between where a ball hit into foul ground can neither be caught there for an out nor considered a tip direct to the catcher?

Ditto on not watching the video (could not even follow the link), but to be a foul tip, it must first hit the glove or hand. If it first hits the mask, or protector, or thigh, then it's just a foul ball.

JR12 Sun May 04, 2014 07:22pm

CBSSports.com APP

JRutledge Sun May 04, 2014 07:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR12 (Post 933337)

This takes you to a way to download an app. You probably should use a more direct link.

That being said, this was a foul ball. He never caught the ball with his glove.

Peace

umpjim Sun May 04, 2014 09:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 933338)
This takes you to a way to download an app. You probably should use a more direct link.

That being said, this was a foul ball. He never caught the ball with his glove.

Peace

And, it was not a fly ball. But what did the ump see and rule to get an out?

JRutledge Sun May 04, 2014 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 933344)
And, it was not a fly ball. But what did the ump see and rule to get an out?

Well the ball never hit the ground. I think umpire assumed he caught the ball and it appears no one challenged that ruling.

Peace

JR12 Mon May 05, 2014 08:24am

Yadier Molina completes strikeout by catching a foul tip with his knee | MLB.com

bob jenkins Mon May 05, 2014 08:38am

Should have been a foul ball. Impossible to see from the plate (depending on what happened after the .gif that they don't show us). ::shrug::

LRZ Mon May 05, 2014 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 933357)
Should have been a foul ball. Impossible to see from the plate (depending on what happened after the .gif that they don't show us). ::shrug::

Did anyone ask the PU to ask for help--he's got three partners. If questioned, I'd go to my partner and ask what he had. Get it right, no?

bob jenkins Mon May 05, 2014 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 933369)
Did anyone ask the PU to ask for help--he's got three partners. If questioned, I'd go to my partner and ask what he had. Get it right, no?

That's the issue.

JRutledge Mon May 05, 2014 11:51am

Why can't the BU just make the call if they clearly see this? It was not even close. That was the reason Molina was hurt, the ball hit his thigh.

Peace

LRZ Mon May 05, 2014 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 933375)
Why can't the BU just make the call if they clearly see this? It was not even close. That was the reason Molina was hurt, the ball hit his thigh.

Peace

These reasons occur to me:
(1) Some version of "that's my call, unless I ask for your help." At my level, it's something to discuss in the pre-game; usually, we would treat this as something the BU could jump in quickly, like a 3d-strike pitch in the dirt or a shot that jumps up and hits the batter in the box.
(2) You can't overrule your partner. If he needs or wants your help, he'll ask for it.
(3) If your partner calls X, and you, equally positive, call Y, what a mess!

JRutledge Mon May 05, 2014 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 933379)
These reasons occur to me:
(1) Some version of "that's my call, unless I ask for your help." At my level, it's something to discuss in the pre-game; usually, we would treat this as something the BU could jump in quickly, like a 3d-strike pitch in the dirt or a shot that jumps up and hits the batter in the box.
(2) You can't overrule your partner. If he needs or wants your help, he'll ask for it.
(3) If your partner calls X, and you, equally positive, call Y, what a mess!

When I worked baseball, this would have been discussed by me as the PU/UIC to have my partners call a foul ball immediately if they saw one on a play like this. If they did not see anything, then I would not expect them to make a call. But I discussed this so that they were empowered to do their job. Of course there were things I would have to ask about to be sure and sometimes that might be because the coach wanted to know something, but I already knew the answer by what we discussed in pregame with my partner.

Peace

jicecone Mon May 05, 2014 01:01pm

Do you think that maybe the No. 1 reason it probably wasn't called correctly was...........

NO ONE SAW IT!

PERHAPS:confused::confused::confused: