The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 22, 2014, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Batting out of Turn

Had this happen tonight and checking to see what the proper call should have been. Here is the bottom of my line-up.

Batting Order
6 - Andrew
7- Jared
8 - Ezra
9 - Dawson

Ezra improperly bats in the 6th position and strikes out (1st out), Jared bats correctly and reaches first, the other team appeals but since Jared had received a pitch is safe. My question is who is now the proper batter? The ump put Ezra back since he would be the proper batter after Jared.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2014, 11:12pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Edited because I was an idiot. I was thinking the pitch legitimized Jared.

Last edited by w_sohl; Wed Apr 23, 2014 at 09:34pm.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2014, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Let me see if I have this right (OBR, but I don't think there's a difference between codes on this, correct me if I am wrong):

The pitch to Jared legitimizes Ezra's (8) at-bat, so the proper batter is now Dawson (9), not Jared (7).

Since the appeal occurs immediately after Jared's at-bat, Dawson is out for failing to bat in his proper turn.

There are now 2 out and the proper batter is whoever is at the top of the lineup (assuming a 9-player batting order).
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Four-Oh. Remember, the penalty is on the Person Too Stupid To Bat when It Was His Turn
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four-Oh View Post
Let me see if I have this right (OBR, but I don't think there's a difference between codes on this, correct me if I am wrong):

The pitch to Jared legitimizes Ezra's (8) at-bat, so the proper batter is now Dawson (9), not Jared (7).

Since the appeal occurs immediately after Jared's at-bat, Dawson is out for failing to bat in his proper turn.

There are now 2 out and the proper batter is whoever is at the top of the lineup (assuming a 9-player batting order).
That is correct. Ezar' at bat was legitimized by the pitch to Jared however, because Jared is now an improper batter (instead of Dawson), then Dawson is out and the top of the order is up.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
That would be correct...
Not even close to correct.

Also "Jared bats correctly" from the OP is incorrect as well. It was not Jared's turn, it was Dawson's turn. Dawson is out. B1 is up to bat.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

I think I know the answer to this one, but better to ask the question than assume - Jared would remain at 1st along with the 2 outs?
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I think I know the answer to this one, but better to ask the question than assume - Jared would remain at 1st along with the 2 outs?
No. Jared is removed from first.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
No, he was an improper batter.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Confused now

Ezra's strikeout stands (out 1)...agreed
But the post goes on to say that Jared is out (taken off of 1st) and Dawson is out now we go to the top of the order. We can't turn a double play on the batting out of order call. (And to the kids defense for the person that called them stupid - we had two line ups prior to the game that we were considering, one batting Ezra 6th and Andrew 8th and then the line-up we used. A kid on the bench opened the coaches notebook and read out the wrong line-up versus the one hanging up.)

So if I'm understanding this it goes...Ezra (8th) batted and effectively skipped the 6th and 7th place batter. So Jared is out and Dawson is up?
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasper16 View Post
But the post goes on to say that Jared is out (taken off of 1st) and Dawson is out now we go to the top of the order. We can't turn a double play on the batting out of order call. (And to the kids defense for the person that called them stupid - we had two line ups prior to the game that we were considering, one batting Ezra 6th and Andrew 8th and then the line-up we used. A kid on the bench opened the coaches notebook and read out the wrong line-up versus the one hanging up.)

So if I'm understanding this it goes...Ezra (8th) batted and effectively skipped the 6th and 7th place batter. So Jared is out and Dawson is up?
Lets take this one step at a time:
1) Ezra bats (result of at-bat is not relevant).
2) The moment the next pitch is thrown to anyone (regardless of where he appears in the lineup), Ezra's appearance is made legitimate.
3) Since Ezra's appearance is now legitimate, the proper batter should now be whoever follows Ezra (Dawson in this case) in the lineup.
4) Since Dawson should bat but someone else did (Jared in this case), this constitutes batting out of turn.
5) When anyone is called out for BOOT, it's the guy who should have batted, not the guy who did bat.
6) So, Dawson is out, and whoever follows Dawson on the lineup card (your leadoff batter) is now up.

Make sense?
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

And the result of Jared's at bat (a single) stands and he stays on first?
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And Jared is removed from 1B because he was the improper batter. NFHS 7-1-2 Penalty 2 ".... the proper batter is declared out and return all runners to the base occupied at the time of the pitch"

Where was Jared at the time of the pitch? Not on Base!!!! He is just removed from 1st base.

Nobody said Jared was out.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And the result of Jared's at bat (a single) stands and he stays on first?
No. Because Jared batted instead of Dawson, Dawson is declared out and a confused Jared is sent back to the dugout to await the coached explanation as to exactly what just happened.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
No. Because Jared batted instead of Dawson, Dawson is declared out and a confused Jared is sent back to the dugout to await the coached explanation as to exactly what just happened.
Which nullifies Jared's at Bat.