The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

rule reference

NFHS rules. Looking for a rule reference for pitchers wearing neoprene/ medical sleeves?

Any help
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

2014 Interps:

SITUATION 17: The starting pitcher comes to the mound to take his warm-up throws to start the game. He is wearing a compression sleeve only on his throwing arm. The opposing coach demands that the sleeve be taken off before the pitcher may pitch. RULING: A pitcher may wear a compression or medical sleeve on one or both arms that is any color, including one that is white or gray, provided it does not extend below the elbow. A doctor’s signed permission slip is not required. If the pitcher wears a sleeve that extends below the elbow, it can be worn on either arm, provided it is not white or gray or have white/gray on it. It also cannot be of a color or color combination that would be deemed distracting by the plate umpire. (1-4-2; 6-2-1i)
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
2014 Interps:

SITUATION 17: The starting pitcher comes to the mound to take his warm-up throws to start the game. He is wearing a compression sleeve only on his throwing arm. The opposing coach demands that the sleeve be taken off before the pitcher may pitch. RULING: A pitcher may wear a compression or medical sleeve on one or both arms that is any color, including one that is white or gray, provided it does not extend below the elbow. A doctor’s signed permission slip is not required. If the pitcher wears a sleeve that extends below the elbow, it can be worn on either arm, provided it is not white or gray or have white/gray on it. It also cannot be of a color or color combination that would be deemed distracting by the plate umpire. (1-4-2; 6-2-1i)
Bob, I saw that interp when it first came out and I am still wondering about the "Ruling", first sentence, says it can not extend below the elbow, (including one that is white or gray) and then the second sentence implies that the pitcher can werar it below the elbow, "provided it is not white or gray or have white/gray on it."

Are they possibly talking about a shirt sleeve vs a compression or medical sleeve???
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

If it's above the elbow, the color doesn't matter.

If it's below the elbow, then it can't be white or gray or distracting.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If it's above the elbow, the color doesn't matter.

If it's below the elbow, then it can't be white or gray or distracting.
It also says that if it "extends below the elbow", it is NOT allowed, regardless of color.

Which was how it was enforced in our area this year.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
It also says that if it "extends below the elbow", it is NOT allowed, regardless of color.

Which was how it was enforced in our area this year.
The last clause ("provided it does not extend below the elbow") is meant to apply only to the previous clause ("including one that is white or gray")
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, I didn't get the interpretation of the interpretation.

Probably the same guy that put out the CR ruling in PA though.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't get the interpretation of the interpretation.

Probably the same guy that put out the CR ruling in PA though.
So what does "if the pitcher wears a sleeve that extends below the elbow" refer to? The uniform sleeve?
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
So what does "if the pitcher wears a sleeve that extends below the elbow" refer to? The uniform sleeve?
Are you directing this to me or Bob?

I already stated that the interpretation was ambigous. One sentence says you can't wear anything (Medical or Compression) sleeve extented below the elbow and the other one says you can., ""provided it is not white or gray or have white/gray on it."

Somehow Bob interprets that as "The last clause ("provided it does not extend below the elbow") is meant to apply only to the previous clause ("including one that is white or gray"), which i am not saying is wrong but, I can more readily accept it , if I knew it to be true.

Again, our area enforced this as no Medical or Compression sleeve can be worn that extends below the elbow. Uniform sleeves are in conformance with their applicable rule application.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, for the love of a comma...

"A pitcher may wear a compression or medical sleeve on one or both arms that is any color, including one that is white or gray provided it does not extend below the elbow. A doctor’s signed permission slip is not required. If the pitcher wears a sleeve that extends below the elbow, it can be worn on either arm, provided it is not white or gray or have white/gray on it. It also cannot be of a color or color combination that would be deemed distracting by the plate umpire."

Does that make more sense?
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I already stated that the interpretation was ambigous. One sentence says you can't wear anything (Medical or Compression) sleeve extented below the elbow and the other one says you can., ""provided it is not white or gray or have white/gray on it."

Somehow Bob interprets that as "The last clause ("provided it does not extend below the elbow") is meant to apply only to the previous clause ("including one that is white or gray"), which i am not saying is wrong but, I can more readily accept it , if I knew it to be true.

Again, our area enforced this as no Medical or Compression sleeve can be worn that extends below the elbow. Uniform sleeves are in conformance with their applicable rule application.
Is this 2009 interp ambiguous?

SITUATION 5: The pitcher is wearing a white compression sleeve on his pitching arm that extends below the elbow. RULING: This is not allowed. While a pitcher may wear a compression sleeve, if it is white and worn on his pitching arm, it may not extend below his elbow. A compression sleeve of any length that is neither white nor gray, or deemed to be distracting, may be worn by the pitcher on either arm. (1-4-2)
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't think the interpretation is ambiguous at all. The bolded sentence above shows where the confusion is. Contrary to what your association seems to think, the interpretation does not say "can't wear anything". Instead it tells us one thing that the pitcher may do. That doesn't tell us what the pitcher may not do. Then the interpretation goes on to tell us another thing the pitcher may do.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Is this 2009 interp ambiguous?

SITUATION 5: The pitcher is wearing a white compression sleeve on his pitching arm that extends below the elbow. RULING: This is not allowed. While a pitcher may wear a compression sleeve, if it is white and worn on his pitching arm, it may not extend below his elbow. A compression sleeve of any length that is neither white nor gray, or deemed to be distracting, may be worn by the pitcher on either arm. (1-4-2)
Thanks.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Oh, for the love of a comma...

"A pitcher may wear a compression or medical sleeve on one or both arms that is any color, including one that is white or gray provided it does not extend below the elbow. A doctor’s signed permission slip is not required. If the pitcher wears a sleeve that extends below the elbow, it can be worn on either arm, provided it is not white or gray or have white/gray on it. It also cannot be of a color or color combination that would be deemed distracting by the plate umpire."

Does that make more sense?
Better yet!

""A pitcher may wear a compression or medical sleeve on one or both arms that is any color. A doctor’s signed permission slip is not required. If the pitcher wears a sleeve that extends below the elbow, it can be worn on either arm, provided it is not white or gray or have white/gray on it. It also cannot be of a color or color combination that would be deemed distracting by the plate umpire."

Thanks
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Better yet!

""A pitcher may wear a compression or medical sleeve on one or both arms that is any color. A doctor’s signed permission slip is not required. If the pitcher wears a sleeve that extends below the elbow, it can be worn on either arm, provided it is not white or gray or have white/gray on it. It also cannot be of a color or color combination that would be deemed distracting by the plate umpire."

Thanks
Now that we have determined that the pitcher can wear a compression sleeve, what sleeve do they choose to wear? The UA with the little white logo showing. I now leave it alone since nobody complains and both sides use it. I started out asking the pitcher to rub some dirt on it or turn it inside out. Usually they would just take it off. Shows how much they need it. Usually just for show.