The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Can the starting pitcher also be the DH in FED? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/97729-can-starting-pitcher-also-dh-fed.html)

archangel Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:21pm

Can the starting pitcher also be the DH in FED?

3-1-4 says "a starting defensive player cannot be listed as the DH in the starting lineup".
Nothing covering this in the casebook.
My assignor says its OK, he saw a notice from NFHS on this, after getting a call from a varsity coach whose #1 pitcher is also their best hitter, AND who has that notice printed out. I just havent seen that yet.

Matt Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by archangel (Post 931283)
3-1-4 says "a starting defensive player cannot be listed as the DH in the starting lineup".
Nothing covering this in the casebook.
My assignor says its OK, he saw a notice from NFHS on this, after getting a call from a varsity coach whose #1 pitcher is also their best hitter, AND who has that notice printed out. I just havent seen that yet.

Your assignor is wrong. There is no such notice.

There's no reason for it to be in the casebook because there's no interpretation necessary. Is the pitcher a defensive player or not?

archangel Thu Apr 10, 2014 01:17pm

Contacted OHSAA who says the same thing- not allowed!

CT1 Thu Apr 10, 2014 01:19pm

No P/DH in FED. NCAA used to allow it -- not sure if that's still current.

bob jenkins Thu Apr 10, 2014 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 931293)

It is.

DG Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:24pm

If the best pitcher is also best hitter he needs to play another position when he is not pitching.

I recall a particular best pitcher/hitter, who played CF when not pitching, and all the scouts said he would never pitch in the SHOW because he was too good a hitter.

johnnyg08 Fri Apr 11, 2014 06:36am

Tell you assigner to stick to assigning games. Yikes!

dash_riprock Sun Apr 13, 2014 06:48pm

The pitcher can bat for himself when he's pitching, and DH for someone else when he's not. He just can't do it in the same game unless he DH's first.

dash_riprock Sun Apr 13, 2014 06:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 931293)

As Bob said, NCAA allows a P/DH (one player) or a P and a DH (two players), but only FED allows the DH to bat for someone other than the pitcher.

UmpJM Mon Apr 14, 2014 01:51am

archangel,

As others have already told you, this is not "FED legal".

I'm trying to figure out why the coach might want to do this.

It's certainly legal for the pitcher to bat under FED rules.

What is NOT legal is, say after 4 or 5 innings, the coach now wants to bring in a new pitcher, but keep the previous pitcher in the batting lineup, and the new pitcher will not bat.

Nor would it be legal if the pitcher is "in the zone" but having a "rough day" at the plate, and the coach wants to keep him pitching, but wants to bring in a new guy to bat for him.

If there are not 10 guys in the lineup presented to the PU at the plate conference (one of whom does not bat), then they are stuck with nine (or, conceivably 8) for the remainder of the game. And under FED rules, the "pitcher" is not relevant. He is no different from any other defensive player in the context of this rule.

JM