The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 15, 2003, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Why do the umpires ignore Sammy Sosa touching them? If you haven't seen a Cubs game, Sosa always taps the PU and the catcher on their left leg with his bat just before his first at bat. This just seems so out of place to me.

Any comments??
Old Fri Aug 15, 2003, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

its a way of saying hi to the umpire if they know them and they havent seen them in a while. i was at the cubs-cardinals game a few weeks ago(actually a long time ago), pujols and sosa both did it. you just dont "see" the umpire aknowledge it.

at least thats what i have been told, makes sense to me. just a little meet and greet thing, since he cant chat with them and hold up the game. its like saying "whats up"
Old Sat Aug 16, 2003, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Our coaches must be watching the pros

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
Why do the umpires ignore Sammy Sosa touching them? If you haven't seen a Cubs game, Sosa always taps the PU and the catcher on their left leg with his bat just before his first at bat. This just seems so out of place to me.

Any comments??
In the last two years, I have noticed more coaches touching me in a spirit of friendship. Taps on the back, things like that. This never happened earlier in my career and I must admit that it makes me nervous. Figuratively speaking, I wonder when the shoe is going to come up my butt.

So far, nothing bad has happened so like the umpires in the pros I have let it pass, but it seems like a worthy topic of discussion.
Old Sat Aug 16, 2003, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Any comments??
It used to be a common form of greeting. A few players around here still do it.

Don't you think that if it was a problem the umpires would have addressed it?
Old Sat Aug 16, 2003, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

I guess i'm just a bit conservative. I don't think umps have any business showing friendliness/fraternization on the field. Saying "Hi" is one thing. Being part of a player's at bat is another.

I realize Sammy is held to a different level than the players in youth baseball that I ump. Sammy's my favorite player. I just don't think it belongs in baseball.

(kind of like those LL umps shown dancing with mascots before/during those LLWS games)
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I really do not have a problem with it. The more receptive blues are the lesser the problems usually.. Coaches get less agressive, as do players, when they know the blues.
There is a blue that calls the Srs in little league around here. He is horrible, really, but been calling it for a number of years. The players and coaches rarely give him grief because he is receptive and friendly to them. Some coaches are pulling other teams out of other leagues to join this one because we work at keeping it fun. Players, coaches and a good portion of the blues have fun and we rarely have reasons to even think about ejections.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Wink Lighten up, Francis!

Quote:
I guess i'm just a bit conservative. I don't think umps have any business showing friendliness/fraternization on the field.

(kind of like those LL umps shown dancing with mascots before/during those LLWS games)
Follow Cowboy's example
[quote]Originally posted by Cowboy1
The more receptive blues are the lesser the problems usually.. Coaches get less agressive, as do players, when they know the blues. [quote]

A friendly, receptive personality makes a tremendous difference in how your calls are received. We should not be the IMPERSONAL, automated robots that some might suggest. Friendliness goes a long way towards GOOD game management. Of course you must be open, and equally friendly to both teams.

JMHO, Tony