The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Question

Is anyone out there connected with the Federation Rules Committee (if there is indeed one)? I'm not conversant at all except where Fed. parallels OBR. I do my umpiring in Senior and Junior LLB and have had a problem (minor but agravating none-the-less) with catchers and the different requirements for safety equipment. Up until this year, I've had kids wanting to wear skull caps - I believe the Federation went to the full helmet. I'm sure someone will point it out if this is not true. I'm still left to fight the dangling throat protector battle ad nauseum (hockey-style and traditional masks). Luckily, for them, I carry a spare in my equipment bag. If both catchers are without, I make them share. Is the Federation considering requiring the throat protector?
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VaUmp
Is anyone out there connected with the Federation Rules Committee (if there is indeed one)? I'm not conversant at all except where Fed. parallels OBR. I do my umpiring in Senior and Junior LLB and have had a problem (minor but agravating none-the-less) with catchers and the different requirements for safety equipment. Up until this year, I've had kids wanting to wear skull caps - I believe the Federation went to the full helmet. I'm sure someone will point it out if this is not true. I'm still left to fight the dangling throat protector battle ad nauseum (hockey-style and traditional masks). Luckily, for them, I carry a spare in my equipment bag. If both catchers are without, I make them share. Is the Federation considering requiring the throat protector?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~`
Fed requires full head protection, could not tell you LL, but PONY allows skull caps, the throat protector must be an extension of the mask, or a dangler.

Where I see the most danger is the kid with the ill-fitted chest protector, hangs 4 inches from bottom of throat, big open space....
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chris s
Quote:
Quote:
Fed requires full head protection, could not tell you LL, but PONY allows skull caps, the throat protector must be an extension of the mask, or a dangler.

Where I see the most danger is the kid with the ill-fitted chest protector, hangs 4 inches from bottom of throat, big open space....
this might just be local, but the catcher must wear the connected helmet with ear protection. dangling throat protector is a must as well i believe.

[Edited by brian43 on Aug 6th, 2003 at 09:13 PM]
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Umpires are not coaches

Quote:
...I'm still left to fight the dangling throat protector battle ad nauseum (hockey-style and traditional masks).

Luckily, for them, I carry a spare in my equipment bag. If both catchers are without, I make them share. Is the Federation considering requiring the throat protector?
I hope you don't think me harsh.

While I commend your resourcefulness I think that this is a risky proposition at best. What happens next week when Umpire Jones has these same teams and he does not carry a throat protector? Your decision to just happen to have a spare seems to be something a coach should do. Jim/NYC
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Ump 20 - No doubt you're right about the manager's responsibility. However, remember why we're there - give the kids a chance to play and keep it safe. Most managers make sure that their players are properly equipped thereafter.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is the Federation considering requiring the throat protector?
Already required. FED 1-1-5: "A throat protector, which is either a part of or attached to the catcher's mask, is mandatory."

Old Mon Aug 11, 2003, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks, Bob that's the info. I was looking for.