The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   A-Rod and Dempster (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/95869-rod-dempster.html)

ozzy6900 Wed Aug 21, 2013 06:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 903014)
And as the schedule lands ... he'll miss ZERO games.

So? Suspension is suspension in MLB. The Player's Union and MLB could never agree to actual games played as a suspension basis. Heck, they were arguing that when I played eons ago! As a matter of fact, I sat a suspension for our clean up hitter. Back then you could do that!!

dash_riprock Wed Aug 21, 2013 07:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 903019)
Strasburg missed on several attempts, never actually hit the batter, but was eventually ejected by the PU. No suspension.

Dempster missed on several attempts and eventually hit A-Rod. No ejection, but suspension.

The penalty is for intentionally pitching at the batter. To me, the suspension is MLB saying (among other things) Dempster should have been ejected.

briancurtin Wed Aug 21, 2013 09:40pm

Maybe next year Girardi can throw a red flag and then the base umpires will vote on the ejection, or they'll poll the audience based on cheers.

LMan Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 903017)
What's the difference between Strasburg and Dempster?

The difference is, Dempster was doing the Lord's work. ;)

tjones1 Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 903064)
You do not even have to eject them, suspend their behinds. Then when bullpens are going to be messed up during a crucial stretch, this crap will stop.

Peace

That would certainly stop it. But you'd have to include the dugouts too (which is fine).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 903071)
Obvious to who?

Obvious to anyone knowing what's going on - including Ray Charles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan (Post 903118)
The difference is, Dempster was doing the Lord's work. ;)

It's hard to disagree.

MD Longhorn Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 903078)
So? Suspension is suspension in MLB. The Player's Union and MLB could never agree to actual games played as a suspension basis. Heck, they were arguing that when I played eons ago! As a matter of fact, I sat a suspension for our clean up hitter. Back then you could do that!!

True. but if MLB REALLY want to address this, the suspension must be longer than just a normal rest cycle plus 1 game. 7-8 games would actually address the issue.

Manny A Fri Aug 23, 2013 08:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 903120)
Obvious to anyone knowing what's going on - including Ray Charles.

Then I guess there are a lot of players on the Braves team named Ray Charles, as well as suits in MLB HQ.

JRutledge Fri Aug 23, 2013 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 903120)
That would certainly stop it. But you'd have to include the dugouts too (which is fine).

And that just proves they are not serious about stopping fighting all together.

Peace

Steven Tyler Sat Aug 24, 2013 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 903054)
Wouldn't it be great if all the relief pitchers in the bullpens got ejected and suspended if they left their areas and jogged toward the mound/plate during a "base-brawl?"

Most of them look too winded to do anything after they get there.

Steven Tyler Sat Aug 24, 2013 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 903080)
The penalty is for intentionally pitching at the batter. To me, the suspension is MLB saying (among other things) Dempster should have been ejected.

He got a five game suspension so he would have a start pushed back one day.

I doubt O' Nora has any respect for A Fraud either, or he would have dumped Dempster. Hell, he never even gave a warning for the first three pitches. It like a green light to throw at him as long as you don't hit him. I loved it.

UMP45 Sat Aug 24, 2013 08:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 903326)
He got a five game suspension so he would have a start pushed back one day.

I doubt O' Nora has any respect for A Fraud either, or he would have dumped Dempster. Hell, he never even gave a warning for the first three pitches. It like a green light to throw at him as long as you don't hit him. I loved it.

Really?! Yhen you question O'Nora's integrity? WOW!