The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 02, 2013, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Here we go again....

....Gerry Davis loses the count: Umpire calls upstairs to check the count - YouTube

You think a guy - who probably makes pretty good money SELLING indicators - would actually USE one

Fireman's suit is on - let the flaming begin!
Old Fri Aug 02, 2013, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
You think a guy - who probably makes pretty good money SELLING indicators - would actually USE one
He has an indicator in his left hand when he calls time. He just puts it in his bag.
Old Sat Aug 03, 2013, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

weird, I guess he had to call up the official scorer - ? You would think that the scorer would ensure that the right count is on the scoreboard etc.,

Oh well, we've all lost the count before ...

Thanks
DAvid
Old Sat Aug 03, 2013, 08:07am
Stop staring at me swan.

I've done that before. It looks better to do it that way then to get it wrong. I see no issue w/ what Davis did.
Old Sat Aug 03, 2013, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Who had the count right / wrong? I didn't see Davis give the count, the announcers have 3-2 but the stat box on the screen has 2-2 and they don't usually get that from the umpire.
Old Sat Aug 03, 2013, 11:19am
Is this a legal title?

The stat box on screen shows 2-2 both before and after the pitch that gets by the catcher.

What does usage of an indicator have to do with losing track of the count? All the video instances I see of this occurring in professional baseball have a common denominator--the umpire uses an indicator. Then, just like in amateur baseball, when someone disagrees with the count, they want the guy with an indicator to get verification from the guys without one.

I don't use one, and I lose track of the count on occasion--just like I did back in the days when I DID use an indicator. I have partners who use one and partners who don't, and they all lose track on occasion.
Old Sat Aug 03, 2013, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

What exactly does the title of the post supposed to mean?
Old Mon Aug 05, 2013, 09:26am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
weird, I guess he had to call up the official scorer - ? You would think that the scorer would ensure that the right count is on the scoreboard etc.
I've been to a few Nats games this season, and I have on rare occasion seen where the scoreboard doesn't have the correct count. So I'm guessing that MLB umpires don't use what's on the scoreboard to straighten themselves out.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Aug 05, 2013, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
weird, I guess he had to call up the official scorer - ? You would think that the scorer would ensure that the right count is on the scoreboard etc.,

Thanks
DAvid
The scorer and board operator are most likely not near each other at a MLB park.
Old Mon Aug 05, 2013, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Oh well, we've all lost the count before ...

Thanks
DAvid
Keeping track of balls and strikes is not a responsibility of the OS
Old Mon Aug 05, 2013, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Then who else in the stadium is tasked with keeping an accurate count of balls and strikes if it's not the guy who is writing down everything about the game including balls and strikes?
Old Mon Aug 05, 2013, 10:53pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
Then who else in the stadium is tasked with keeping an accurate count of balls and strikes if it's not the guy who is writing down everything about the game including balls and strikes?
It's the plate umpire's job.
Old Mon Aug 05, 2013, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
Balls and strikes are not official stats (neither are holds and blown saves) so the OS does not report on these. See http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y20...ball_rules.pdf
Section 10

The pitch counts, holds and blown saves are done by on site in the press box stringers who input games for MLB.com or STATS.
Old Tue Aug 06, 2013, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
It's the plate umpire's job.
Well that was helpful.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 07:20am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
Balls and strikes are not official stats (neither are holds and blown saves) so the OS does not report on these.
There's a difference between reporting official statistics at the end of a game, which is what OBR 10.02 requires, and maintaining track of those "unofficial" stats during the course of the game. Somebody in the press box is responsible for keeping real-time balls and strikes count; if that wasn't the case, then there'd be no reason for Gerry Davis to make the phone call.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker