The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Here we go again.... (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/95724-here-we-go-again.html)

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Fri Aug 02, 2013 07:14pm

Here we go again....

....Gerry Davis loses the count: Umpire calls upstairs to check the count - YouTube

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/Bug9_KTnpbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You think a guy - who probably makes pretty good money SELLING indicators - would actually USE one

Fireman's suit is on - let the flaming begin!

briancurtin Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE (Post 901607)
You think a guy - who probably makes pretty good money SELLING indicators - would actually USE one

He has an indicator in his left hand when he calls time. He just puts it in his bag.

David B Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:22am

weird, I guess he had to call up the official scorer - ? You would think that the scorer would ensure that the right count is on the scoreboard etc.,

Oh well, we've all lost the count before ... ;)

Thanks
DAvid

johnnyg08 Sat Aug 03, 2013 08:07am

I've done that before. It looks better to do it that way then to get it wrong. I see no issue w/ what Davis did.

bob jenkins Sat Aug 03, 2013 08:48am

Who had the count right / wrong? I didn't see Davis give the count, the announcers have 3-2 but the stat box on the screen has 2-2 and they don't usually get that from the umpire.

Publius Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:19am

The stat box on screen shows 2-2 both before and after the pitch that gets by the catcher.

What does usage of an indicator have to do with losing track of the count? All the video instances I see of this occurring in professional baseball have a common denominator--the umpire uses an indicator. Then, just like in amateur baseball, when someone disagrees with the count, they want the guy with an indicator to get verification from the guys without one.

I don't use one, and I lose track of the count on occasion--just like I did back in the days when I DID use an indicator. I have partners who use one and partners who don't, and they all lose track on occasion.

EsqUmp Sat Aug 03, 2013 03:06pm

What exactly does the title of the post supposed to mean?

Manny A Mon Aug 05, 2013 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B (Post 901625)
weird, I guess he had to call up the official scorer - ? You would think that the scorer would ensure that the right count is on the scoreboard etc.

I've been to a few Nats games this season, and I have on rare occasion seen where the scoreboard doesn't have the correct count. So I'm guessing that MLB umpires don't use what's on the scoreboard to straighten themselves out.

Rich Ives Mon Aug 05, 2013 09:43am

Quote:

weird, I guess he had to call up the official scorer - ? You would think that the scorer would ensure that the right count is on the scoreboard etc.,

Thanks
DAvid

The scorer and board operator are most likely not near each other at a MLB park.

LeeBallanfant Mon Aug 05, 2013 06:39pm

Quote:

Oh well, we've all lost the count before ... ;)

Thanks
DAvid

Keeping track of balls and strikes is not a responsibility of the OS

briancurtin Mon Aug 05, 2013 09:22pm

Then who else in the stadium is tasked with keeping an accurate count of balls and strikes if it's not the guy who is writing down everything about the game including balls and strikes?

johnnyg08 Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin (Post 901856)
Then who else in the stadium is tasked with keeping an accurate count of balls and strikes if it's not the guy who is writing down everything about the game including balls and strikes?

It's the plate umpire's job.

LeeBallanfant Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin (Post 901856)

Balls and strikes are not official stats (neither are holds and blown saves) so the OS does not report on these. See http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y20...ball_rules.pdf
Section 10

The pitch counts, holds and blown saves are done by on site in the press box stringers who input games for MLB.com or STATS.

briancurtin Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 901864)
It's the plate umpire's job.

Well that was helpful.

Manny A Wed Aug 07, 2013 07:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant (Post 901866)
Balls and strikes are not official stats (neither are holds and blown saves) so the OS does not report on these.

There's a difference between reporting official statistics at the end of a game, which is what OBR 10.02 requires, and maintaining track of those "unofficial" stats during the course of the game. Somebody in the press box is responsible for keeping real-time balls and strikes count; if that wasn't the case, then there'd be no reason for Gerry Davis to make the phone call.