The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Runner fails to touch 2nd base.....Lansing loses in extra innings!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/95441-runner-fails-touch-2nd-base-lansing-loses-extra-innings.html)

Multiple Sports Thu Jul 04, 2013 05:52am

Runner fails to touch 2nd base.....Lansing loses in extra innings!!!

Does anyone have the video of this and would be kind enough to post for all to see ?????

And BTW - has anything this crazy ever happened to you ????

Rita C Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 899258)
Does anyone have the video of this and would be kind enough to post for all to see ?????

And BTW - has anything this crazy ever happened to you ????

Which team? Which game?

tcarilli Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:47am

Cut 4 | MLB.com: News

Skip to about 1:15

johnnyg08 Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcarilli (Post 899272)
Cut 4 | MLB.com: News

Skip to about 1:15

So is this abandonment or an appeal? :cool:

jwwashburn Thu Jul 04, 2013 01:42pm

It looks like a simple force out at second.

Why is the BU at home plate?

Weird.

Dave Reed Thu Jul 04, 2013 01:45pm

At 1:35, you can see a fielder standing with both feet on 2nd base, and a white object in his right hand. I think a reasonable guess is this was neither an appeal nor abandonment. It was a simple force out.

bob jenkins Thu Jul 04, 2013 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 899274)
So is this abandonment or an appeal? :cool:

It could have been both. Or neither. ;)

But, based on the video, they did get it right.

And, I think BU is at the plate to talk to the manager and to make sure that PU knew that the game wasn't over.

Or, maybe BU was running off and PU stopped him.

Texas Aggie Thu Jul 04, 2013 07:38pm

What in the world could the manager be arguing?

jicecone Fri Jul 05, 2013 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by texas aggie (Post 899291)
what in the world could the manager be arguing?

for mercy

umpjim Tue Jul 16, 2013 04:44pm

From the MLBUM and PBUC:

"Bases loaded, two out, score tied in the bottom of the ninth inning. Batter hits a home run out of the ballpark. Runner on first, thinking the home run wins the game, leaves the baseline and heads toward the dugout. The runner at first is declared out before the runner from third reaches home plate. Other runners continue around the bases and eventually touch home.
Ruling: No runs score; the third out was made before the runner from third touched homeplate. Game continues in the top of the tenth inning with the score still tied."

So end result the same in the OP, but, if you call abandonment on R1 and PU has R3 scoring before the out call the run should score. Except, can you still accept an appeal at 2B for a force out?
Wendelstedt does not like the PBUC and MLBUM interps.

bob jenkins Tue Jul 16, 2013 09:10pm

Yes, you can get an appeal for the force out.

umpjim Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 900180)
Yes, you can get an appeal for the force out.

On the premise that this third world stuff wouldn't happen to me (except in the LL games I umpire) I have been negligent in informing myself about the rules.
Now it has happened in a MiLB game and we don't know exactly how they ruled except the end result was proper. But if the BU ruled abandonment, as PBUC and MLBUM says they should, and the PU ruled "run scored" (not what happened in the OP) do we have game over and reset for a proper appeal or is the throw to 2B during "continuing action" a good appeal?

I think abandonment in this particular situation might be grabbing the shitty end of the stick if the defense does what they did in the OP.

CT1 Wed Jul 17, 2013 05:50am

Hard to imagine that R3 wouldn't touch home before a shocked U1 or U2 declared R1 out.

Especially if it prevents extra innings. :D

Manny A Wed Jul 17, 2013 07:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 900170)
From the MLBUM and PBUC:

"Bases loaded, two out, score tied in the bottom of the ninth inning. Batter hits a home run out of the ballpark. Runner on first, thinking the home run wins the game, leaves the baseline and heads toward the dugout. The runner at first is declared out before the runner from third reaches home plate. Other runners continue around the bases and eventually touch home.
Ruling: No runs score; the third out was made before the runner from third touched homeplate. Game continues in the top of the tenth inning with the score still tied."

So end result the same in the OP, but, if you call abandonment on R1 and PU has R3 scoring before the out call the run should score. Except, can you still accept an appeal at 2B for a force out?
Wendelstedt does not like the PBUC and MLBUM interps.

I have to question the wording of the ruling here. Why would they allude that this is a timing play? This, to me, is clearly an example of a forced runner being declared out before he reaches his forced-to base. It shouldn't matter if the out was made by virtue of an actual play, an appeal, or an abandonment call. He was forced to second base, he never achieved second base, and he was declared out. How is this not a force play but instead a timing play? :confused:

UES Wed Jul 17, 2013 08:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 900193)
I have to question the wording of the ruling here. Why would they allude that this is a timing play? This, to me, is clearly an example of a forced runner being declared out before he reaches his forced-to base. It shouldn't matter if the out was made by virtue of an actual play, an appeal, or an abandonment call. He was forced to second base, he never achieved second base, and he was declared out. How is this not a force play but instead a timing play? :confused:

I'm with Manny on this... and a big believer in the K.I.S.S. principle!