The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 04, 2000, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

I always wondered by PRO Umpires do not change positions during a 9 inning game, especially the PU.

Umpiring behind Home Plate can be very grueling, especially in the Hot Summer Months. We are human and as the day wears on we become tired. In practically every job today, one needs a computer. After being on a PC all day - aren't your eyes tired?

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem if the Home Plate Umpire changed every 3 innings. PRO Games are long to begin with and if this was the accepted practice - The Sponsers could get their commercials in every 3 innings instead of every inning.

I know what the main point will be - THE STRIKE ZONE.
This is PRO Baseball and the strike zone shouldn't vary too much from one umpire to another. PRO Umpires get paid a very good salary and if this was the accepted practice - then the strike zones should be similiar.

In all Sports, coaches put in "Fresh Legs" in the late innings and we all know the importance of having a good bench, therefore, what is really wrong with putting "Fresh Legs / Eyes" behind Home Plate. There is many a game when the base umpires do not even "break a sweat" . Not every game has those bangers and shoe - string catches.

For us amateurs, it wouldn't make sense because there is only 2 of us to begin with and many of us umpire double-headers where we each work the Plate, but in PRO ball, they have 4.

I guess the main point is - Would this strategy help the game? Would balls / strikes become more consistent with a "Fresh Set of Eyes"?

I do not know the answers to these but IMO it would be interesting to see the results. Hey this was just a thought

Pete Booth
Old Wed Oct 04, 2000, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Sorry Pete; but, while it's a novel idea I can't agree.
I feel that once you've established your zone - keep it. The
players get set in their beliefs and you should not keep changing what they feel will be the zone for that game. In other words, don't fix what isn't broke. But, on the other hand there have probably been a game or two where the teams would rather my partner had done the plate ;-{
As to working the plate; yes, some games can be more physically demanding than others. But, conditioning is the first factor to consider. If it is going to be a hot day, be prepared and have the jug handy and take any extra minute between innings if needed to refresh yourself. Heck, it's not like any game ever plays by the 1 minute rule anyway.
Anyway, I just don't see the where any major benefit would come into play by changing positions several times a game.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2000, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Pete. Great idea! They can go to 6-man crews (more work for umps), because that's what would be needed. Every three (or whatever) innings, they rotate; plate ump goes out, new man with equipment comes in behind plate (otherwise we'd have 5 hour games while they changed gear), base umps rotate clock-wise, !B rotates out, puts on gear for next stint behind plate, ad infinitum. If you can sell this idea, you could settle the Middle East and Ireland provblems. And probably find a cure for the common cold.

Pardon my bit of sarcasm, but think of the ramifications of your idea.

Bob
Old Wed Oct 04, 2000, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Pete, kidding right? You are bothered by looking at a computer screen all day, then having to umpire? Trade ya job for a day;o)
Old Thu Oct 05, 2000, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Switching positions

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
I always wondered by PRO Umpires do not change positions during a 9 inning game, especially the PU.
Pete Booth
You know, Pete, in my area we do that for scrimmages: We always have more umpires at a game than we have innings. So we put a guy/gal behind the plate for two innings, then move him, etc.

There is one reason only why your perfectly sensible suggesion has no chance of happening.

It's not consistency of strike zone. Professional pitchers and batters can adjust to a chance in one at-bat. It's not the time required to chance. Simply, each umpire crew is expanded to five: four on, one changing into or out of plate gear.

It's ego.

I was a plate hog because all the coaches told me I was the most consistent umpire they had ever seen. (Of course, they had no ulterior motive when they said it. Right?) But the reactions to my plate games beginning from the time I switched from the slot back to the box convinced me I had learned the strike zone.

So I wanted the plate because when I was calling the balls and strikez, I KNEW those players were getting the best umpire that night in that area. I KNEW THAT!

Whether that "knowledge" was right or wrong is irrelevant. Once I get behind the catcher, you ain't getting me out of that spot.

It's where the action is. It's where I want to be. I called for 25 years in a temperature/humidity environment that would kill a devil's angel. When the thermometer drops below 85, I put on a jacket.

Give me the plate -- from start to finish.