The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Appeals question (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/94917-appeals-question.html)

RonTberry Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:02pm

Appeals question

I'm a Cal Ripken 9-12 coach. My first post here so I apologize if this has been covered.

In a recent game I felt a runner left early from 3B on a caught fly ball. After play ended and ball returned to my pitcher I called time so my pitcher couldn't throw a pitch and instructed my third baseman to go to bag and for my pitcher to throw it to him for the appeal. The umpire told me I could not appeal because my calling timeout to tell my kids how to do it killed the appeal. He said once a TO was called no appeal could be made. I've searched the rule book but can't find any confirmation. Would appreciate being pointed to the section that states this if it is the rule. Thanks in advance.

RPatrino Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:07pm

You don't need to call time out in this case. Just throw the ball back into 3rd base and make the appeal. By calling time out, you didn't kill the appeal, per se. You just have to make sure the ball is put back into play, and have your pitcher step off the rubber legally and make a proper appeal.

RonTberry Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:13pm

Thank you sir. That's what I thought as well. I knew it wasn't required to call a timeout but I had an inexperienced pitcher and 3B and wanted to make sure they knew what to do. Appreciate the help.

RPatrino Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:15pm

When I coached, it was something I practiced regularly. Outs are valuable.

dash_riprock Wed May 01, 2013 02:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 892555)
You don't need to call time out in this case. Just throw the ball back into 3rd base and make the appeal. By calling time out, you didn't kill the appeal, per se. You just have to make sure the ball is put back into play, and have your pitcher step off the rubber legally and make a proper appeal.

The ball must be live for an appeal, but the pitcher does not have to step off.

Manny A Wed May 01, 2013 05:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonTberry (Post 892553)
The umpire told me I could not appeal because my calling timeout to tell my kids how to do it killed the appeal. He said once a TO was called no appeal could be made.

If that were the case, an offensive coach would request Time after every play where a runner takes two or more bases on a hit, and on every tag-up on a fly ball.

CT1 Wed May 01, 2013 06:05am

You'd be surprised how many HS coaches still go through this dance, even though they can make a verbal appeal.

bob jenkins Wed May 01, 2013 07:21am

Including the "calling time" part -- I usually just ask, "Hey -- what are you trying to do?" and then rule on the appeal when they answer the question. ;)

SE Minnestoa Re Wed May 01, 2013 09:23am

I hade a coach last night go through all of this foolishness. I walked over to him at the end of the inning and asked that he just make a verbal appeal. He said he didn't know he could do that.

RonTberry Wed May 01, 2013 10:13am

Well I learned something new. Didn't know you could make a verbal appeal and not throw to the base. Thanks everyone.

nopachunts Wed May 01, 2013 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonTberry (Post 892593)
Well I learned something new. Didn't know you could make a verbal appeal and not throw to the base. Thanks everyone.

Depends on your rule set. Fed, aka NFHS High School, rules allow a dead or live ball appeal by a coach or player with or without possession of the ball.

Rita C Wed May 01, 2013 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonTberry (Post 892593)

Last I saw Cal Ripken rules, it was OBR (Official Baseball Rules). The ball must be live and there are no verbal appeals by the coaches.

In your ruleset you would have to make the play.

Rita

RPatrino Wed May 01, 2013 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 892562)

Are you sure?

David Emerling Wed May 01, 2013 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 892562)

Really?

Play: R2 at 2nd base. Routine base hit into the outfield that scores R2. BR stops at 1st. The defense wants to appeal that R2 missed 3rd base. The ball is still live. Although they can throw the ball directly to 3rd, the pitcher steps onto the rubber then, comes set then, without stepping off, he throws directly to 3rd base.

Would that not be considered a balk for throwing to an unoccupied base?

A pitcher can throw to an unoccupied base for the purposes of making "a play". I have always been taught that an appeal is not "a play", however.

If all I've said above is true (and I'm not 100% sure it is) - then, it would seem, that the pitcher does have to step off or be liable for a balk; at least when it involves throwing directly from the rubber to an unoccupied base.

OBR 8.05(d) - If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when the pitcher, while touching his plate, throws, or feints a throw to an unoccupied base, except for the purpose of making a play.

MD Longhorn Wed May 01, 2013 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Emerling (Post 892603)
Really?

Play: R2 at 2nd base. Routine base hit into the outfield that scores R2. BR stops at 1st. The defense wants to appeal that R2 missed 3rd base. The ball is still live. Although they can throw the ball directly to 3rd, the pitcher steps onto the rubber then, comes set then, without stepping off, he throws directly to 3rd base.

Would that not be considered a balk for throwing to an unoccupied base?

A pitcher can throw to an unoccupied base for the purposes of making "a play". I have always been taught that an appeal is not "a play", however.

If all I've said above is true (and I'm not 100% sure it is) - then, it would seem, that the pitcher does have to step off or be liable for a balk; at least when it involves throwing directly from the rubber to an unoccupied base.

OBR 8.05(d) - If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when the pitcher, while touching his plate, throws, or feints a throw to an unoccupied base, except for the purpose of making a play.

Why would an appeal not be a play?