The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Strange Happenings (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/94825-strange-happenings.html)

jicecone Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:54am

Strange Happenings

I have been officiating long enough to understand that there is always something you haven't seen and always something else to learn. Having said that, on Tues I had a Varsity game where the following took place:

Top of 5 with 1 out , no runners, count 1-2.
Next pitch is a waste pitch in the dirt and the batter bites and swings and misses. The ball bounces up in the batter box and is struck by the batters bat on the follow thru. The ball then ends up at the backstop with the batter-runner now headed to first.

Is there a call here or not? I am going to keep checking my books and case plays. I am interested in what others say here, then I will state what I called.

archangel Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:58am

Did the ball bounce off the catcher or his glove first?

MD Longhorn Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:04am

There's a rule specifically for this - I don't have the books right here though, but if memory serves it's in or near the section dealing with a bat hitting a ball a second time (maybe not the best place for it, but I believe that's where it is). I believe all you have here is a dead ball strike - I know that's true in several codes.

jicecone Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by archangel (Post 891360)
Did the ball bounce off the catcher or his glove first?

No.

The ball was only hit once, on the follow-thru.

3rdGennation Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:40pm

Since the ball didn't hit anything before the batter made contact with it I'll say Foul.

tcarilli Thu Apr 18, 2013 01:17pm

NFHS the batter is out 7-5-c, the ball is dead no runners may advance.

NCAA the the ball is dead immediately no runners may advance 6-2-d.

OBR the the ball is dead immediately no runners may advance 6.06(c) comment.

jicecone Thu Apr 18, 2013 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcarilli (Post 891383)
NFHS the batter is out 7-5-c, the ball is dead no runners may advance.

NCAA the the ball is dead immediately no runners may advance 6-2-d.

OBR the the ball is dead immediately no runners may advance 6.06(c) comment.

Not sure if your NFHS reference is valid however, I also had the out and killed the play but treated it as interference by the batter. Still not sure if that is totally correct, but still checking.

I haven't researched the other codes yet, will do after my game tonight.

"3rdGennation" It can't be a foul ball because it doesn't meet the criteria of a foul ball. The batter missed the ball on his attemped to hit it, immediatly afterwhich he becomes a batter-runner. That was my initial thought however, I just killed the play and didn't utter those words.

bob jenkins Thu Apr 18, 2013 02:25pm

See 7.3.5F. It doesn't matter whether the ball hit the catcher's glove first or not.

jicecone Thu Apr 18, 2013 02:29pm

Thanks Bob. First time I ever saw it happen at a game I was doing.

tcarilli Thu Apr 18, 2013 09:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 891394)
Not sure if your NFHS reference is valid however, I also had the out and killed the play but treated it as interference by the batter. Still not sure if that is totally correct, but still checking.

I haven't researched the other codes yet, will do after my game tonight.

"3rdGennation" It can't be a foul ball because it doesn't meet the criteria of a foul ball. The batter missed the ball on his attemped to hit it, immediatly afterwhich he becomes a batter-runner. That was my initial thought however, I just killed the play and didn't utter those words.

Why would I bother to research and post the rule numbers, if they were not valid? As Bob wrote 7.3.5. Situation F is the case ruling for NFHS. NFHS does not have back swing interference in the same way as OBR and NCAA.

cookie Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:25am

In Fed the batter is responsible for his follow-thru. If it interferes with a catcher's ability in this case to field the ball (or make a throw to a base in the case of a steal), then the batter is out.

dash_riprock Fri Apr 19, 2013 06:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 891436)
In Fed the batter is responsible for his follow-thru. If it interferes with a catcher's ability in this case to field the ball (or make a throw to a base in the case of a steal), then the batter is out.

Another rule that FED needs to change. Sometimes the situation calls for an automatic do-over (except for the pitch). An out is too harsh.

jicecone Fri Apr 19, 2013 06:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcarilli (Post 891433)
Why would I bother to research and post the rule numbers, if they were not valid? As Bob wrote 7.3.5. Situation F is the case ruling for NFHS. NFHS does not have back swing interference in the same way as OBR and NCAA.

That is totally up to you but, the 2013 NFHS Rule Book and Case Book I have in my possession does not contain "7-5-c". If yours does then your right, it is valid.

Welpe Fri Apr 19, 2013 07:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 891439)
That is totally up to you but, the 2013 NFHS Rule Book and Case Book I have in my possession does not contain "7-5-c". If yours does then your right, it is valid.

He means 7-3-5c.

Welpe Fri Apr 19, 2013 07:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 891438)
Another rule that FED needs to change. Sometimes the situation calls for an automatic do-over (except for the pitch). An out is too harsh.

Agreed.

At least in this case the result would be the same since it was strike 3.