The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Batter Runner Hit By Thrown Ball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/94812-batter-runner-hit-thrown-ball.html)

ozzy6900 Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:50am

Batter Runner Hit By Thrown Ball

R3 & R2, 0 outs

Witnessed this play while doing an evaluation on a JV umpire.

Batter hits a hot grounder to F3. F3 fields the ball but does not step on 1st. Instead, F3 sees R3 half way down the line and fires to F2. The ball hits the BR, in the running lane and the ball ricochets off the BR, over the head of F2 and to the backstop. R3 scores, F2 fires to F5 who misplays the ball and R2 scores. The BR stays on 1st.

1. Do we have 2 runs and a man on 1st?
  2. Do we have any interference?
  3. If the BR was out of the running lane, would we have interference? (better check your sources before you answer)

RPatrino Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:02am

1) yes
2) yes
3) no, only happens if F2 is throwing to 1b.

Rich Ives Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 891116)
1) yes
2) yes
3) no, only happens if F2 is throwing to 1b.

2) is No. There is no interference.

3) can be if anyone is throwing to 1B.

RPatrino Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:19am

I erred, 2) no

Rich Ives Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 891115)
R3 & R2, 0 outs

Witnessed this play while doing an evaluation on a JV umpire.

Batter hits a hot grounder to F3. F3 fields the ball but does not step on 1st. Instead, F3 sees R3 half way down the line and fires to F2. The ball hits the BR, in the running lane and the ball ricochets off the BR, over the head of F2 and to the backstop. R3 scores, F2 fires to F5 who misplays the ball and R2 scores. The BR stays on 1st.

1. Do we have 2 runs and a man on 1st?
  2. Do we have any interference?
  3. If the BR was out of the running lane, would we have interference? (better check your sources before you answer)

1) Yes

2) No. There is no interference.

3) No. Running lane int is only with the fielder taking the throw at 1B.

What did the JV ump decide?

PABlue Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:29am

Thanks for changing that response RP. I was scratching my head trying to figure out how we had interference on that.
:confused:

zm1283 Tue Apr 16, 2013 02:01pm

I only have interference if the BR intentionally interferes. If not, I've got nothing.

MD Longhorn Tue Apr 16, 2013 02:45pm

Yes, no, no.

ozzy6900 Tue Apr 16, 2013 06:31pm

Thank you all for playing and the correct answer is no interference on the throw to the plate no matter if the BR is in or out of the lane. The lane only comes into play on the throw to 1st to retire the BR.

In the game, the PU was asked by the DHC for an interference call and the PU explained that the BR was clearly in the lane and there was no interference. The DHC did not argue and went back to his dugout. I chuckled at the whole thing and when the game was over, I starting to go over the evaluation with the 1st year rookie. Just then the DHC came by us and stopped to say hi. I told him that I was going over an evaluation and he asked if I could explain the rule correctly to the rookie. He and I both started laughing (we've known each other for over 30 years) and I told him to go ahead and explain it. He did and the rookie learned several things:

• Know your rules as you will be tested!
  • Be respectful and you will get respect!
  • Sometimes when a coach walks away from an argument, he may know more than you do!

Welpe Wed Apr 17, 2013 07:48am

So the PU got the call right but for the wrong reason?

BretMan Wed Apr 17, 2013 08:47am

Somehow, I'm missing the moral of this story.

DHC asks for an interference call...but DHC knows the rule and knows it wasn't interference?

I guess the moral is that coaches are rats.

Rich Ives Wed Apr 17, 2013 09:08am

Why was the DHC in the 3B coaching box?

Maybe the OHC asked and the DHC was the one who explained it later?

Maybe Ozzy will update us.

Besides - it-s a coach's job to try to get an advantage for his team. He gets paid to do that. Just treat it like you were in court, you're the judge, and the two attorneys are trying to get you to make a ruling favorable to their side.

BretMan Wed Apr 17, 2013 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 891231)

Maybe the OHC asked and the DHC was the one who explained it later.

And why would the OHC be asking for an interference call on his own player? :confused:

Quote:

Besides - it-s a coach's job to try to get an advantage for his team. He gets paid to do that. Just treat it like you were in court, you're the judge, and the two attorneys are trying to get you to make a ruling favorable to their side.

I'm not sure that you're going to enhance the image of coaches by comparing them to lawyers! :eek:

ozzy6900 Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:45am

Quote:

Maybe the OHC asked and the DHC was the one who explained it later?

Maybe Ozzy will update us.

Rich, I gotta learn not to post and talk to the wife at the same time. I corrected the post as the DHC went back to the dugout, not the box. Thanks for the catch on this.

Rich Ives Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 891234)
And why would the OHC be asking for an interference call on his own player? :confused:

And I was confused because Ozzy misspoke and said the DHC went back to the 3B Coaching box.

It might be worth trading an out on the B-R for the out on someone else. Suppose they threw out R3 going home. I'd rather have him back on 3B and the B-R out versus no one on 3B and a runner on 1B. :D