The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 08:23am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
For college games, the umpires are required to check in with the coaches an hour before the game. Sometimes they want us to rub up a dozen baseballs. Then we have a thorough pre-game, suiting up and some stretching to do. By rule, the plate meeting is conducted ten minutes before game time and since it is never a good idea to park right next to the field, there is usually a five-minute walk to the field. That hour is pretty much used up. If you show up 59 minutes before game time, you are late.
That's an NCAA requirement. MD was talking about an assignor's requirement for, which I assume, games that are not under NCAA. If they were NCAA games, he wouldn't have painted this as an assignor's standard. And, Yes, I do arrive an hour before game time for college (softball) games.

Anything else, I typically show up between 30 to 45 minutes before game start. I've got plenty of time to suit up and stretch while doing a good pre-game with my partner (no need to do these sequentially), walk to the field, check equipment, and conduct my plate conference.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
What's his rationale for the one-hour requirement? Does he want you to pull out the shoe-shine kit and the travel iron to get your uniform ready? Geez...
For clarification's sake...

I have only worked for this assignor during tournaments... I have no idea if she relaxes this requirement for mid-week league ball games.

Her rationale is so that an hour before the games start she can see who is not there. She'll call you ONCE - if you don't answer, she has time to find someone else and get them there and dressed before game time. Not saying I agree or disagree - it is what it is. When in Rome...

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
I absolutely HATE having to rush to a game and arriving 10 minutes before the game and rushing onto the field. My experience has been that games tend to go bad when that happens.
I agree with this 100%. I hate it more when it's partner that shows up mostly dressed 5 minutes before game time. I know that it's THAT guy who is going to miss something ... or hang out near first base while I'm dealing with both sides of a 3B/HP run-down, etc.

West Houston Mike