The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 06:51am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
When Are Umps Supposed to Arrive?

How early before a game are umps expected or are supposed to be at a MLB Game?

Nat's game started late yesterday as the Umps were late to the park.

Now, I know a good many things can happen enroute, but, if you plan on getting there an hr or two early.....

Y! SPORTS

Just curious?
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 07:41am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

Nat's game started late yesterday as the Umps were late to the park.

Now, I know a good many things can happen enroute, but, if you plan on getting there an hr or two early.....

Y! SPORTS

Just curious?
Have you ever dealt with DC traffic?

I was at Nats Park last night, and it took me over two hours to drive to the stadium. I live about 17 miles from there. And I left the house around 4:30 pm.

It didn't help that not only were the Nats playing, but the Miami Heat were in town to play the Wizards, the cherry blossoms are in peak, and temperatures were in the mid-90s. I saw a number of cars pulled off the road with open hoods, leading to extra rubber-necking. I should've taken the Metro, which is what I plan on doing for tonight's Hurricanes/Caps game.

I have no idea how early MLUs are required to arrive to a stadium. My guess is that it's around two hours. No surprise with what happened to this crew last night.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 07:57am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Have you ever dealt with DC traffic?
Actually, this is good to know as I will be at the Nats Game tonight.....and plan on driving, and leaving the same time you did. I'm no fan of the Metro. Blech.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Page 1 of the MLB Umpires Manual says no later than one our prior to the scheduled starting time.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 09:20am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Actually, this is good to know as I will be at the Nats Game tonight.....and plan on driving, and leaving the same time you did. I'm no fan of the Metro. Blech.
Oops. Didn't realize you were local. So you are well aware of the traffic around here.

Hope the weather holds out for you.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 02:29pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Page 1 of the MLB Umpires Manual says no later than one our prior to the scheduled starting time.
Thanks.

They were probably looking at the cherry blossoms!
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 04:03am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
I was at Nats Park last night, and it took me over two hours to drive to the stadium.
Took me 29 minutes!

Weather held.

Umps were on time!

Winner!
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 11:17am
3rdGennation

When Are Umps Supposed to Arrive

Can we extend this questions to when do most posters plan on arriving for games they are doing? Youth tournament, HS, college etc.?
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGennation View Post
Can we extend this questions to when do most posters plan on arriving for games they are doing? Youth tournament, HS, college etc.?
This completely depends on the expectations of the assignor. Given NO expectations, I'm getting there at least 30 minutes prior for youth ball, an hour for HS - likely a bit more for college. And possibly a bit less if my partner and I have worked together often already. (that said... I'm almost ALWAYS the first one there for youth ball - even at just 30 minutes early)

Often though, there is a specific expectation by the assignor. I have one that says to get there an hour early for tourney games, but for league ball - as long as your suited up and ready to go at game time, he doesn't care (often these games are at 5:30 or 6:00 on a work day and he understands that a lot of us are dressing at work or even in the car after getting off at 5).

I have another assignor who wants you there an hour in advance come hell or high water... which really means you had better plan on being there EARLIER than that. The "grace period" you're giving yourself in many cases is to account for bad traffic, stopped by a train crossing, etc... but this particular assignor wants you to take all that into account and STILL be there an hour early.

Things vary.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

High school games are all I work anymore, I get there 30-45 minutes prior to game time. I work just about every game with the same partner so we always ride to the games together. When I used to work youth games they didn't care if you showed up 5 minutes prior to game time as long as you were ready to go on time.
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know what I would do with the extra 30 minutes if I arrived an hour before game time.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2013, 06:58am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I have another assignor who wants you there an hour in advance come hell or high water... which really means you had better plan on being there EARLIER than that. The "grace period" you're giving yourself in many cases is to account for bad traffic, stopped by a train crossing, etc... but this particular assignor wants you to take all that into account and STILL be there an hour early.
Overkill. It's a waste of my valuable time to show up that early for a game. I have a job that requires me to be at my client's site until 5:00 pm. Requiring me to be at the game site an hour ahead of time for a 6:30 pm game would force me to change my commute on game nights so that I park at the client's site (instead of using public transportation, which is my norm) at a much greater expense to me. Given traffic here in the DC area, I'm lucky to get to most game sites 30 minutes beforehand.

What's his rationale for the one-hour requirement? Does he want you to pull out the shoe-shine kit and the travel iron to get your uniform ready? Geez...
Old Sat Apr 13, 2013, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Overkill. It's a waste of my valuable time to show up that early for a game. I have a job that requires me to be at my client's site until 5:00 pm. Requiring me to be at the game site an hour ahead of time for a 6:30 pm game would force me to change my commute on game nights so that I park at the client's site (instead of using public transportation, which is my norm) at a much greater expense to me. Given traffic here in the DC area, I'm lucky to get to most game sites 30 minutes beforehand.

What's his rationale for the one-hour requirement? Does he want you to pull out the shoe-shine kit and the travel iron to get your uniform ready? Geez...
For college games, the umpires are required to check in with the coaches an hour before the game. Sometimes they want us to rub up a dozen baseballs. Then we have a thorough pre-game, suiting up and some stretching to do. By rule, the plate meeting is conducted ten minutes before game time and since it is never a good idea to park right next to the field, there is usually a five-minute walk to the field. That hour is pretty much used up. If you show up 59 minutes before game time, you are late.

Last edited by dash_riprock; Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 08:01am.
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

I usually try to get there an hour early, so when some sort of traffic thing happens I can still be there 30 minutes early.

The two assignors I do 95% of my work with only "require" being on the field, ready to go, 10 minutes before game time. However, they both recommend checking with the coach earlier than that.
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I personally try to get to the game site 60 minutes before game time. That's a goal, it doesn't always happen. If I am working the plate, I really like the full hour. Working the bases, I just like to get there in time to have a pre-game with my partner, particularly if we have never worked together before.

I absolutely HATE having to rush to a game and arriving 10 minutes before the game and rushing onto the field. My experience has been that games tend to go bad when that happens.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.