The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Class quiz Q

Since this is from a FED class quiz, which has no bearing on the final exams grade, I thought I'd post it for input.

Wilson, with one out and a runner on first base, replaces the starting pitcher Jones in the fifth inning. Wilson, with a legal move, picks off the runner at first base.
A) Wilson may now be legally replaced by another substitute pitcher.
B) Wilson must continue to pitch unless he is incapacitated or guilty of flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct.
The correct answer, from OHSAA test graders, is A.

My question is where can I find this? 2013 Rules, 3-1-2 says "if a pitcher is replaced while on defense, the sub pitcher shall pitch to the batter at bat (or his sub), until batter is put out, reaches base, or 3rd out is made.
2013 Caseook-3.1.2A--- F1 is replaced by S1. Defense wants to intentionally walk batter, then S1 is replaced by S2.
Ruling: Legal, as S1 faced the necessary one batter.

BUT, Batting Rule 7-1-1, Penalties 2, dealing with an appeal of an improper batter , states that the appeal must be made before.......a play or attempted play ...

So, would a pickoff play that would prohibit a defensive appeal on the batter, be the same as the pickoff in the Quiz Q, therefore S1 can be legally subbed for by S2?
Or maybe I'm just overthinking things....
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

The batting rule has nothing to do with the pitching substitution rule.

You are overthinking this.

But, the official answer is incorrect; the conditions for Wilson to be removed from the mound have not been met.
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The batting rule has nothing to do with the pitching substitution rule.

You are overthinking this.

But, the official answer is incorrect; the conditions for Wilson to be removed from the mound have not been met.
Agreed - a runner was retired but the batter is still in the box. The pitcher must remain until the batter is put out, retired or there is a 3rd out.

What's amazing in the OP is this information is quoted from FED 3-1-2 by the poster and the poster still gets it wrong!
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
Since this is from a FED class quiz, which has no bearing on the final exams grade, I thought I'd post it for input.

Wilson, with one out and a runner on first base, replaces the starting pitcher Jones in the fifth inning. Wilson, with a legal move, picks off the runner at first base.
A) Wilson may now be legally replaced by another substitute pitcher.
B) Wilson must continue to pitch unless he is incapacitated or guilty of flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct.
The correct answer, from OHSAA test graders, is A.
I agree, the "correct answer" is incorrect.
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 11:57am
Medium Kahuna

That's question 29 from last year's NFHS Part I test. I suspect the OHSAA "test graders" missed one when they made the answer key.

http://mshsl.org/mshsl/sports/2012_Baseball_Exam.pdf
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Agreed - a runner was retired but the batter is still in the box. The pitcher must remain until the batter is put out, retired or there is a 3rd out.

What's amazing in the OP is this information is quoted from FED 3-1-2 by the poster and the poster still gets it wrong!
No! Whats amazing is I knew the answer, quoted the rule, but asked this forum because the class quiz sent out by Ohio High School Athletic Assoc said "A" was the correct answer!
I "assumed" wrongly that the state ruling body must be correct, so I stuck my nose in the books, found what confirmed my opinion, but thought I'd ask you all , just to make sure.
Ozzie, re-read my OP.
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

jicecone: "I agree, the "correct answer" is incorrect."

Stuff (S$$t) like this happens. The recent 2013 NCAA test had a "correct answer" that was incorrect regarding an illegal sub. The NCAA higher-ups ultimately corrected their answer and revised the test scores of all those who had gotten it marked wrong.