The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Cheap umpire shirts?

Does anyone know of any cheap resources for umpire polo shirts and pants? I have a couple pants (getting a bit worn) and some navy shirts but I'm looking to expand the wardrobe a bit. Most of what I see is shirts for $30+. Anyone know of a cheaper solution?
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:19pm
Archaic Power Monger

The Smitty brand shirts that can be found at most online retailers are a good shirt, especially for the price. It is the only shirt I wear.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Remember, you get what you pay for. I have always used and will only use Cliff Keen shirts. I have tried others and have been extremely dissatisfied with the absolute crap out there. Cheaper shirts don't fit properly, fade out very quickly and simply look like crap. You are an umpire, dress the part and look good.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

I agree Oz.

You get better and more games because you look and do a better job than any ole ump. When you get better and more games, you make more money. The investment pays off, believe me.
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 08:39am
Archaic Power Monger

Cliff Keen isn't the only shirt in town. If Smitty is good enough for MiLB it is good enough for me.

A lower price isn't always indicative of inferior quality though I'd agree when you get down to those sub $20 shirts from Sports Authority.
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

The Smitty shirts have worked well for me. No issues with fit, fading, unusual wear, etc. Look on eBay, where a few different umpire suppliers sell equipment and uniforms. $21.50 with free shipping is probably as cheap as you're going to get for a reasonably good quality shirt.

You can also find Smitty pants there for forty bucks. Again, good quality for a low price...if that's what you're after.
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

I have a closet full of the Cliff Keen, Smitty, and now a couple of the new MLB Majestic shirts. All very good quality, many have lasted for many years and dozens of games and requisite washings.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of guys in my association who love to talk about the cheap Officials Choice shirts they got for $10, and then a) never match in color or accent striping and b) complain about having to buy new shirts every year because they "fall apart."

Two words: Caveat emptor.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 07:15am
Official & ***** Member

I was a Cliff Keen fan for many years. until our state's "preferred" provider started carrying mostly Smitty. With the connotation that the name "Smitty" carries in umpiring circles, I was quite skeptical.

However, I was pleasantly surprised that the shirts are of equal quality to CK, and hold up very well.

I wish their plate pants were cut a little fuller in the legs. I wear large shin guards, & can't "pull over" the pants.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Majestic, Smitty, most Honig's, Ump-Attire....all of them are fine and I've never had problems with any of them. I haven't worn Cliff Keen, but I'm sure they're fine too. They definitely aren't the only quality shirt though. The Smitty shirts tend to fit me the best and are the best value IMO. (Around $22 on eBay) I have their shirts in several colors and I like all of them.

Dalco shirts are cheap but they don't fit very well and look cheap too. Same with Official's Choice.