The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 08:59pm
Is this a legal title?

Chin music of a different sort

Ayers takes a punch pretty well

Anybody think U1 (in deep B) could have been a little more active between the shove and the punch? Of course, this was a 3-man crew on a play that started with R2 only, so he may have been more focused on the B/R.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I don't know about how active we want to be in a fight situation. I am more inclined to let the coaching staffs take care of breaking things up, and as the PU I would quickly determine if any of my crew were down, then round them up and head for higher ground. We would then get out the line up cards and start figuring out who is still invited to the party going forward.

If there was any way to prevent this altercation, and I'm not sure there was, that is where we need to be very proactive.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.

Last edited by RPatrino; Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 09:54pm.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Here's the part that really bothers me:

“It’s pretty surprising -- pretty entertaining,” said George Whitson, a fan of the Hornets.

I don't see anything the umpires could have done, this escalated so fast.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:45am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not see how in this video anything could be prevented unless something else had taken place. We had two players that overreacted to a situation and you had a spark around gasoline. Maybe you could have had one of the BUs approach the players after the tag, but that probably would not have mattered. I like how once they stuff hit the fan, they bailed and let the teams separate everyone.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I read that three were ejected, one Sacramento player and two Riverside players. It obvious who the first Riverside player was but not easy to tell from the video who the 2nd one is. I'm pretty sure they ejected the Sac catcher. He came in and jumped on top of the melee and started punching. All of the players ejected received a four game suspension.

The one umpire who tried to break it up found himself in a mess real quick. That's why they teach us to stand back and take names. No sense in getting hurt.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

I don't care if there were 100 U's on that field. They are NOT paid to break up fights by Boneheads. The officials actions are no justification for idiots, to act as clueless goons. Especially at this level of play.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I don't care if there were 100 U's on that field. They are NOT paid to break up fights by Boneheads. The officials actions are no justification for idiots, to act as clueless goons. Especially at this level of play.
I agree!! We shouldn't be involved in fights at any level of play. The participants don't see us during fights, they just want to get at someone to hit. It would be very easy for one of us to get pushed down and trampled in the scrum. That is no way to end a season!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
It would be very easy for one of us to get pushed down and trampled in the scrum. That is no way to end a season!
That happened in the Big10 tournament last year, Indiana v Purdue.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

1) Step back
2) Pull out your pen & note pad
3) Start writing down player numbers who you will eject or name in the game report.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Good reason for even BUs to carry pen and paper.

You can also use it to make notes about an EJ shortly after it happens.

Or, just add to your grocery list.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Fully agree with all. We are told that this is not a hockey game and we are not linesmen. Stand back and take notes.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 07:33pm
Is this a legal title?

I thought U1 might have made a better effort to head off a punch being thrown. After the shove, he didn't take so much as a step toward the combatants to get between them and maybe keep it from escalating. We aren't hired to break up fights, but we ARE supposed to prevent them if we can. Rut is probably right that he wasn't going to get there in time, but at least a token effort ought to have been made. Sometimes guys are hoping for an excuse NOT to fight, as in "Yeah, if the ump hadn't jumped in, I'd have kicked his a$$!"

U1 was wise to stay out after the punch flew and the takedown occurred. U3 jumped into the melee while fists were still flying. Not something I would do or recommend.

PU behaved exactly as I hope I would. He approached the pile seemingly with the intent of limiting the number of participants. When multiple bodies closed in around him and he felt someone's (the guy in the green sweatshirt) hand on him, he backed the hell out. Then, when the initial adrenaline rush ebbed and players were just milling rather than escalating, he moved back between the teams and got them headed back to the benches.

The PU did a superb job handling this with the proper combination of authority and self-preservation.