The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

WHO HAS THE JOB TO CLEAN THE PITCHING RUBBER OR THE BASES IN BASEBALL FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 11 YEARS I HAD A COACH TELL ME THAT IT WAS MY JOB (I DISAGREE) IF A PLAYER IS ASKED TO DO THAT AND REFUSES MY ONLY OPTION WOULD BE TO FORFIET THE GAMES OR EJECT THE PARTICULAR PLAYER!! CORRECT OR NOT?? PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS SUBJECT.
DAVE

[Edited by PAPPAPX2 on Jul 7th, 2003 at 05:49 PM]
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAPPAPX2
WHO HAS THE JOB TO CLEAN THE PITCHING RUBBER OR THE BASES? FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 11 YEARS I HAD A COACH TELL ME THAT IT WAS MY JOB (I DISAGREE) IF A PLAYER IS ASKED TO DO THAT AND REFUSES MY ONLY OPTION WOULD BE TO FORFIET THE GAMES!! CORRECT OR NOT?? PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS SUBJECT.
DAVE
1) Please DON'T SHOUT.

2) It's no one's job. I don't do it; I don't ask the players to do it. They'll do it if they want them clean, otherwise, I know where they are.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

When there's a half an inch of dust/sand on the base, I just clean it off with my brush at the conclusion of the play.

We've got to see the base to make a call!
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
When there's a half an inch of dust/sand on the base, I just clean it off with my brush at the conclusion of the play.

We've got to see the base to make a call!
I understand that there is some softball mechanic for carrying a brush and cleaning the rubber (and maybe the bases).

No baseball base umpire should carry a brush.

Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BorderCityBlue
Question Really???

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

So, a baseball ump should not clean home plate?

bcb
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Bob,

I'm still working 9/10 & 11/12 games alone.

I'd love to work up to higher levels though!

Ron(tornado)
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, softball Helpful Hints suggests you keep rubber clean, but doesn't say you must. I try and give the appearance of keeping them clean anyway. If I am asked to do so, I will "kick them clean" If it is demanded I clean them, I'll say "they already are clean". This is similar to a temporary fence situation I had once. We were starting second half of inning, coach was unhappy w/strike zone and wanted to take it out on BU, which was me. He yelled "the fence is down blue", wanting to direct me to do his bidding (I thought), I said "Thank you coach". This happened three times before he gave up red-faced, and at start of next inning, he put fence up himself. I will help all I can, but will not be intimidated.

ALSO, I dont carry a brush on softball bases either, a good sweep of the foot is fine.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Really???

Quote:
Originally posted by BorderCityBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

So, a baseball ump should not clean home plate?

bcb
That's Right... The Base Umpire should not clean home plate..
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

IF A PLAYER IS ASKED TO DO THAT AND REFUSES MY ONLY OPTION WOULD BE TO FORFIET THE GAMES!! CORRECT OR NOT?? PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS SUBJECT.
DAVE

Okay, input: That is the silliest and one of the most OOO related ideas I have ever heard.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Don't forfeit the game. Call the police and have the little miscreant arrested. Also, arrest his parents and have them charged with not teaching obedience to their child.

Bob
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
Bob,

I'm still working 9/10 & 11/12 games alone.

I'd love to work up to higher levels though!

Ron(tornado)
I stand by my statement that there's no reason (other than *potentially* game management -- it might give you a chance to talk quietly to the pitcher or a player) for the umpire to clean the bases (other than the plate) or the rubber.

This applies whether the participants are 9 or 90.

Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Clean the what and the what?

I'll clean the plate after a run, a play at the plate, beginning of each inning. But I never clean it when asked. I'll offer my brush though.

I may tell Short or Second, " You may want to clean off that bag so you can see it, and more importantly, so I can see it." They jump on their knees to clean off that bag.

As far as carrying a brush on the bases, where would I have room with my clicker and all those sunflower seeds?

Old Wed Jul 09, 2003, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

How long do typical bases an mounds last? And where I go to College, I see the team spraying Home plate with White paint. Does anyone know about the lifetime/durability of these bases?

Also...in regards of "to sweep or not to sweep"

I would just swipe the mound with my shoes if I couldn't see it, or have my partner do it. Its not really a big deal.

But when a Coach does get blatantly rude and says soemthing like that, I think its time to give him an attitude adjustment.

Personally, after "sitting" in that position all game, a walk to the pitchers mound, might just be what the doctor ordered.

But the real question remains...and specifically to thumpferee!

What flavor? Range, BBQ, or Regular~!
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

On the softball board, some guys reported being knocked down on their evaluations because they brushed off a base or the rubber. Supposedly, by doing so they were "altering the field" or some other idiotic interpretation.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

I do mostly softball and have for a dozen years. I work Babe Ruth during the week and JO tourneys on the weekends.
I have never taken a hit for wiping the plate, pitchers plate or bases. In fact it is expected that the BU clean the pitchers plate between innings in softball. I also clean first base on my way to my postion if any amount of dirt gets on it. Just plain looks good to have the umpire attending to the details.