The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

The Last Bastion of Incivility

Over the years, baseball players have not been know at the most civil of citizens, but there are still things that they can get away with that some people cannot in everyday life.

After working for a basketball team in college, I went on to become a teacher and coach. One day when I returned to my alma matter to watch a basketball game and I was visiting with one of the radio announcers in the hallway. He asked if I was coaching basketball and I told him that I had become a baseball coach. His exact quote was, "Baseball is the better sport. You get to spit and stuff."

My guess it that this guy would not have liked playing in a game with one umpire I heard a story on last night. The PU took off his mask and said something to the batter. After the batter looked down at his coach, the coach came down to see what had been said. The PU said, "I told him to tell his teammates that if one more of them spit near my plate, I would throw them out of the game." The coach said he assumed he was joking and said, "Maybe they are just helping clean it off." At this point, the PU said, "I don't need any more of you lip tonight."

I know both the coach and the umpire and I was very surprised to hear about this. Is there anyone on this board who would have ever made a comment like that to a high school player and then to a coach?
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

I would never ever issue a team warning through an intermediary, no matter what the warning. That said, I can only imagine addressing spitting if it either hit me (or almost did) or was actually landing ON the plate (I have to clean that crap).

And unless there was a lot of preamble, I can't imagine the very first thing I say to a coach being, "I don't need anymore of your lip."

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Likely bad habit, but I spit regular on ball field.

Can't imagine this happening.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

"if one more of them spit near my plate, I would throw them out of the game"

The rejoinder I would like to make would be "OK by me - where is your plate? This one belongs to our league."
Old Fri Sep 21, 2012, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
"if one more of them spit near my plate, I would throw them out of the game"

The rejoinder I would like to make would be "OK by me - where is your plate? This one belongs to our league."
All of mine are in the cabinets.
Old Sat Sep 22, 2012, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't say anything.

It's still disgusting though.

Rita
Old Sat Sep 22, 2012, 06:26am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Likely bad habit, but I spit regular on ball field.
I used to as a player. But I try my dangnest not to as an umpire. I just think umpires should have the highest standards when it comes to appearance and decorum, and I've grown into believing that nobody wants to see an umpire out there chewing seeds, spitting, grabbing the crotch, and doing the various other things we see from players and coaches.

And please PLEASE don't get me started on blowing snot out of a nostril...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sat Sep 22, 2012, 07:13am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post

And please PLEASE don't get me started on blowing snot out of a nostril...
If I have something like drainage or sniffles, I try to carry a hankerchief. However the "farmer's hankie" is the last resort. I just try to move away from players or coaches with my back turned to them.

BTW, I don't mimd sunflowers seeds, but show some class, and stop with the spitting, especially with dip/tobacco in your mouth. I don't come over and piss in you dugout.
Old Sat Sep 22, 2012, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
If I have something like drainage or sniffles, I try to carry a hankerchief. However the "farmer's hankie" is the last resort. I just try to move away from players or coaches with my back turned to them.

BTW, I don't mimd sunflowers seeds, but show some class, and stop with the spitting, especially with dip/tobacco in your mouth. I don't come over and piss in you dugout.
I thought spitting was the whole reason for sunflower seeds! How do you get rid of the shells?
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 09:30am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
I thought spitting was the whole reason for sunflower seeds! How do you get rid of the shells?
There's a difference between turning your immediate vicinity into a mud puddle, and spitting sunflower shells onto the ground. Most people don't let loose with a glob of slobber when they get rid of sunflower shells.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 03:29pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
You can spit the hulls. I don't care, but I don't want somebody spitting saliva where I have to smell it, or tiptoe around it. I used to dip Skoal when I lived in Miami just to piss the idiot Cubans off because they always made rude comments about my Southern accent.