The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   David Rackley (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/92323-david-rackley.html)

zm1283 Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 853392)
I'm not - you're missing my point entirely.

My point is that IF this happens often, as you assert it does, then it would be caught on camera often - and we would see it shown on highlights often. You claim it happens all the time with no proof - if it does happen, there is proof out there - show us.

How would there be proof of a camera not picking up a missed base? How am I supposed to prove that?

ESPN isn't going to spend time showing bases that might have been missed by a runner or runners, even if one of the cameras pick it up. They are interested in big hits, good defensive plays, and good pitching performances. Now, if it happened on a play that would win or lose a game and the cameras picked it up, then they would definitely show it.

Steven Tyler Thu Sep 06, 2012 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 853389)
That's weird, because I never said that a camera would never catch a runner missing a base. I said that even though there are multiple cameras at every game, there is the occasional missed base that doesn't get picked up on camera. Quit making things up.

Don't quote the troll.

Manny A Thu Sep 06, 2012 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 853399)
ESPN isn't going to spend time showing bases that might have been missed by a runner or runners, even if one of the cameras pick it up. They are interested in big hits, good defensive plays, and good pitching performances. Now, if it happened on a play that would win or lose a game and the cameras picked it up, then they would definitely show it.

I have to agree. Nobody is going to care that a runner missed a base unless it comes at a time when it dramatically affects the outcome of the game. Why would ESPN show that under routine circumstances? It's no different than violations in other sports that always get ignored in game highlights, such as traveling and carrying in basketball, holding in football, etc. etc.

That would be an interesting case study, however. I'd be curious to know if missed bases happen in pro ball as often as they do at lower levels of the game. Probably not because there are always people watching for them from the dugouts and bullpens, like Carlos Beltran did in this game.

Tim C Thu Sep 06, 2012 04:19pm

Well,

As John McSherry told us at umpire school:

"Fuxxking Steve Garvey gets paid $2 fuxxking million dollars a year and one of his fuxxking jobs is to make sure every fuxxking runner that rounds fuxxking first base touches the motherfuxxker . . . you better fuxxking see it when it fuxxking happens."

People do watch.

T

zm1283 Thu Sep 06, 2012 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 853442)
I have to agree. Nobody is going to care that a runner missed a base unless it comes at a time when it dramatically affects the outcome of the game. Why would ESPN show that under routine circumstances? It's no different than violations in other sports that always get ignored in game highlights, such as traveling and carrying in basketball, holding in football, etc. etc.

That would be an interesting case study, however. I'd be curious to know if missed bases happen in pro ball as often as they do at lower levels of the game. Probably not because there are always people watching for them from the dugouts and bullpens, like Carlos Beltran did in this game.

They happen much less at the pro level, but I still maintain that they happen at times and don't get appealed.

MD Longhorn Fri Sep 07, 2012 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 853454)
They happen much less at the pro level, but I still maintain that they happen at times and don't get appealed.

Maintain whatever you like. Read what Tim said. It doesn't happen.