The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You lost me here. What do you mean the ball pops out? If you have the tag with the ball, why would it fall out afterwards and be your fault?

Peace
If the fielder raises his glove to show you the ball and the ball pops out, he just demonstrated he did not control the ball (which is what you need to determine before banging the runner out on the tag). If he is showing you the ball because you told him to do so, it is going to be perceived as being your fault.

Find the ball. It's not that hard. It takes a couple/three seconds under the worst of circumstances. Everyone knows what you are (properly) looking for.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 09:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
If the fielder raises his glove to show you the ball and the ball pops out, he just demonstrated he did not control the ball (which is what you need to determine before banging the runner out on the tag). If he is showing you the ball because you told him to do so, it is going to be perceived as being your fault.
Never heard that explanation before, but I guess if you feel it is your fault, then you have the right to feel anyway you wish. I think if they cannot demonstrate they controlled the ball, that is on them. And it is not when they come up with the ball I am concerned with, it is the fact they do not have the ball at all I am mostly concerned with. Never had this as an issue and never considered it my fault if a fielder did not have the ball. Then again there are umpires that worry about things I clearly do not worry about.

Quote:
Find the ball. It's not that hard. It takes a couple/three seconds under the worst of circumstances. Everyone knows what you are (properly) looking for.
Once again I did not say it was hard to do or that it is required to ask every single time. Do not project everything based off of one situation we are discussing here. I just know that will not make a call without some demonstration that the fielder has the ball. They might be trying to make the next play and it is obvious they had the ball the entire time. Either way I am not calling out and the ball is 10 feet somewhere else. I am not going to feel responsibility because a player does not have the ball secured. Never felt that way ever in all my years of doing this umpiring thing.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Never mind.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 10:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Never mind.
I agree, some people worry about things that others could give a damn about.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The potential problem is when the fielder raises his glove/mitt to show you the ball (after you've directed him to do so), and the ball pops out. Now you have a no-tag, and it's all your fault.

It is the umpire's job to find the ball, unassisted.
Please tell me you're not one of those "Voluntary release can last for 30 seconds" guys. Had a partner try to tell me (and enforce!) that if an outfielder catches a ball, then jogs in toward his dugout and the ball falls out near the mound, it wasn't a voluntary release, therefore not a catch.

The player makes a catch or tag, then loses the ball on subsequent action, it's still a catch/tag. "Voluntary release" is a guide on a banger, it doesn't last forever.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Please tell me you're not one of those "Voluntary release can last for 30 seconds" guys. Had a partner try to tell me (and enforce!) that if an outfielder catches a ball, then jogs in toward his dugout and the ball falls out near the mound, it wasn't a voluntary release, therefore not a catch.

The player makes a catch or tag, then loses the ball on subsequent action, it's still a catch/tag. "Voluntary release" is a guide on a banger, it doesn't last forever.
No, I'm not in that crowd (I doubt it's a crowd). Here's another example for your partner:

R2 stealing, line drive "caught" by F5. F5 takes 6 steps chasing the now retreating R2, dives for him and the ball pops out when he hits the ground (involuntary release). Is the batter out?
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, I'm not in that crowd (I doubt it's a crowd). Here's another example for your partner:

R2 stealing, line drive "caught" by F5. F5 takes 6 steps chasing the now retreating R2, dives for him and the ball pops out when he hits the ground (involuntary release). Is the batter out?
But yet you're concerned that you can't sell an out if the ball falls out of a glove when it's opened to show you the ball several seconds after a tag?
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
But yet you're concerned that you can't sell an out if the ball falls out of a glove when it's opened to show you the ball several seconds after a tag?
I have no problem selling whatever it is. But control of the ball must be demonstrated before, during and after the tag. How much after is judgement. I want to see secure possession of the ball after the tag. If he raises up his glove and the ball pops out, the possession was clearly not secure.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
I have no problem selling whatever it is. But control of the ball must be demonstrated before, during and after the tag. How much after is judgement. I want to see secure possession of the ball after the tag. If he raises up his glove and the ball pops out, the possession was clearly not secure.
I think you're way overthinking this, Dash. I have no real clue how you wouldn't rule the fielder lifting the glove to show you the ball after a tag as a separate movement that would satisfy voluntary release.

Tim.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
I think you're way overthinking this, Dash. I have no real clue how you wouldn't rule the fielder lifting the glove to show you the ball after a tag as a separate movement that would satisfy voluntary release.
I think just the opposite.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 11:57pm
In Time Out

Quote:

Tim.
Nobody said anything about voluntary release. Try not to be so clueless next time.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Nobody said anything about voluntary release. Try not to be so clueless next time.

Scroll back up and read post #50 in this thread. Maybe this time you'll get it. And while you're at it, give a quick peek at the J/R and JEA and you'll see where the concept of voluntary release is appropo here.

I hear Sweet Baby Rays really helps with the taste of crow........

Tim.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Scroll back up and read post #50 in this thread. Maybe this time you'll get it. And while you're at it, give a quick peek at the J/R and JEA and you'll see where the concept of voluntary release is appropo here.

Tim.
Don't quote the trolls.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 12:49pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Yes. The ball popped out on the tag attempt, not on the catch attempt.

Or are you suggesting that there was no voluntary release after the catch?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 12:59pm
In Time Out

Quote:

Tim.

Yes post #50 was an excellent example of what dash was stating. NOT!