The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

I am always interested in improving my rule knowledge and mechanics that can make me a better official however, I recently was informed that Canadian Umpires stand 5-7 feet behind the catcher when doing the plate.

Can anyone supply any insight into this and possible pro or cons? Are there many other differences. I know we think of baseball as being Americas' Sport, but that dosen't preclude the possibilty that there are some new twists out there for officiating. Any input would be appreciated.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

I recently was informed that Canadian Umpires stand 5-7 feet behind the catcher when doing the plate.

That's a good one. You might have been better advised to put that statement in the form of a question first.

Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Actually Garth, that kind of what I want to know too. Why?????
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Because what you have been informed is contrary to what I have seen.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I love reading the posts...but what are you guys talkin about? Confuses the geebus out of me!
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Mabey Blaine Gallant can offer some insight into this because I am baseing my information on a coach that just took a team to Toronto for a Tournamemnt, and one of our own officials, that officiates that way.

I know, why didn't I ask him?

He left for vacation back to VanCouver 2 weeks ago. But now I am hearing the same thing about two different areas of Canada.

Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Just like in the US, there are competent umpires who know proper mechanics in Canada and those who are not and do not.

I have seen some LL umpires work so far behind the catcher they're not in the same zip code, but I would not make a generalization about all LL umpires based on that.

I know excellent Canadian umpires who work no differently from D-1 US umpires.

I have emailed Blaine and asked him to enter this thread.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

And I have jumped in.

There is no truth to any rumour that we are taught to do this.

IN Canada, we tend to follow UDP mechanics. How close, or far the umpire is behind the umpire is his choice. As long as he has a view of the plate and calls a good zone, I don't care about his distance behind the catcher. However, I would be interested to hear what level of ball this is. I know a lot of the top umpires in the area nad none of them work this far behind the catcher.

Like Garth said, in Canada we have great umpires, good umpires and damn bad ones - just like everywhere else.

Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
, I recently was informed that Canadian Umpires stand 5-7 feet behind the catcher when doing the plate.

Many Canadians are used to having younger catchers that stand 5-7 feet behind the batter so a catcher that stands closer tends to throw younger umpires off. BTW Blaine can you please answer a small question as to why Baseball Canada wants us to use the 1B line extended for Fair/Foul in RF with a runner on 2B in the 2-man system?

[Edited by tiger49 on Jul 2nd, 2003 at 02:28 PM]
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Where would you want to be?

There is no need to go up 1st base line, only to come back to 1BLE or 3BLE for a play at the plate if it develops.

Moving up 1st base line to get 20 feet closer to the fair/foul call will not make any difference.

Blaine
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

I just think having to look through/around F2 only asks for trouble on the very close fair/foul and also with the posible diving catch trapped ball senario.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, Here's the scoop.

One of the officials from our Association comes from Vancouever. I was told that this officials calls Balls and Strikes from 5-7 feet behind the catcher. Fine with me , I don't care if it is 5-7 miles as long as he establishes a good zone and stays with it.

Then I get a call from a independent source that tells me that the officials in Toronto do the same thing. This guy is an official and coach.

After looking further into the matter, it semms that in both cases we have officials that work the "scissors" and tend to sit back a bit further than most guys. Coincidently.

So I guess that the boys north of the border, aren't that much different after all, eh.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
...As one of Canada's own...

As one of Canada's Nationally certified umpires as well as a clinician, I must say that I am completely confused!

At no time have I ever seen, nor heard of an official being 5-7 ft. behind a catcher, and I know for certain that it is NOT a practice that is taught or advised in any manner.

We do advocate the 'Slot', 'Scissors', and 'Box' style positioning, but also try to impart the importance of being relatively close to the catcher, so that the ball doesn't disappear behind him.

In fact, just last year, there was an umpire in my local association that swore that he got a better view of the strike zone from 3ft. behind the catcher. While his zone was acceptable, he had a great deal of trouble being consistant at the bottom of the zone. Myself, and a few of the other senior officials spent a good deal of time with him in the cages and showed him that he could get the same view, AND include the bottom of the zone if he moved closer. I am happy to say he is now reformed, and one of the most consistant umpires in our association...now if only we could get him to master the pivot....

Anyway, I can assure you that Canadians are NOT taught to be 5-7ft. back- I assure you!

Bainer.