LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 11:32am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
MLB to Expand Instant Replay.....?

Official: Ump command center for '13 under negotiation
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

I do think the "command center" idea is the best for any replay, and the idea of rotating umpires through the center is appealing, however the point of value is the crux of the matter. While it is appealing to get all calls correct, the effort to get there ultimately removes the human from the equation.

Bill Klem did not need replay, and neither do we.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I just don't understand why MLB doesn't just put robots on the field and they wouldn't need umpires because everything would be PERFECT.

Perfect Game pitched every time.
Every batter hitting 1000.
No Runs, No hits, No errors.
No need for whining players, just call down to the factory and get a new one.
No need for crying reporters having to pimp a story because the story would be the same every game.
No need to attend a game, just pay for an App and view it on your phone.

What a wonderful GAME!!!

EVERY TIME!!

Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
...Perfect Game pitched every time.
Every batter hitting 1000.
No Runs, No hits, No errors....
Tilt!
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 02:09pm

I hope the umpires tell them to stick this proposal where no replay can see!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Baseball was the one game that was left to humans and therefore, not perfect. It is not suppose to be timed, video replayed, huddled about or whined about. The more they try to take the human element out of the game, the worse the game gets. Managers are supposed to be out there arguing but players have no right to do so and need to be put in their places immediately when they cross the line. Umpires make snap decisions, sometimes in less than 1/4 of a second and their decision rules, not the 500 replays that the fans and the announcers get to see. I am so fed up with every play being dissected by no nothing people trying to change the game. I now have 50 years in baseball playing and umpiring. The game is fine..... leave the damn thing alone! Go screw up football some more!
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 02:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
The game is fine..... leave the damn thing alone! Go screw up football some more!
Well football is more popular than ever. And replay has added drama to the game in many situations. But football has built in stoppages that makes replay more successful. Baseball seems to want to review everything or the people that call for replay do. Then again more people watched the Pro Bowl, a horrible display of the sport than a WS and All-Star game in baseball. So I can understand why they think this will help, but they would have to fix so many other things about the game as well and I do not see that happening anytime soon.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Fans complain about the Yankees and Red Sox games taking so long as it is. If some form of instant replay is used, we will have 5 hour games.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The game is fine..... leave the damn thing alone! Go screw up football some more!
As far as replay goes, I think you'll find that 90 percent or so of people see replay as an overwhelming positive addition to both football and basketball. But both of those sports have more built in stoppages that are conducive to replay (as mentioned by JRut). Then again, replay is here to stay, and it will be expanded, so one better accept it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 05:51pm
In Time Out

Replays on TV don't bother me much. It's being at the game itself live that is boring as hell. After a TD commercial, and then a commercial after the kickoff is brutal. Just two huddles standing on the field for about five minutes.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 06:23pm

Quote:
Baseball was the one game that was left to humans and therefore, not perfect. It is not suppose to be timed, video replayed, huddled about or whined about. The more they try to take the human element out of the game, the worse the game gets. Managers are supposed to be out there arguing but players have no right to do so and need to be put in their places immediately when they cross the line. Umpires make snap decisions, sometimes in less than 1/4 of a second and their decision rules, not the 500 replays that the fans and the announcers get to see. I am so fed up with every play being dissected by no nothing people trying to change the game. I now have 50 years in baseball playing and umpiring. The game is fine..... leave the damn thing alone! Go screw up football some more!
Hey Yosemite, I think we were separated at birth or something! Baseball is not conducive to replay. The game worked just fine before replay came around. It has added less to the game than it has taken from it.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oz, I agree 150% but you got to credit a lot of the whining to the media.
Not because the game is broken or there are missed calls , hell those things have been part of the game since it was invented. In fact in most cases it isn't even about the game. It's about writing a story that is more controversial than the next guys. Getting people to pay attention to their stories , which in turn translate to getting recognition and collecting a bigger pay check than the next guy.

And its not just baseball either.

Oz, we came from a generation where men sat down and worked out their problems over a beer and moved on, still with respect for each other.

In today's world they piss in each others beer, write a story about it or sell a video of it just to try and make a buck, and can care less about respect. I understand about having to make a living but, will never buy into accepting dirt money to do it.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 12:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
As far as replay goes, I think you'll find that 90 percent or so of people see replay as an overwhelming positive addition to both football and basketball. But both of those sports have more built in stoppages that are conducive to replay (as mentioned by JRut). Then again, replay is here to stay, and it will be expanded, so one better accept it.
Baseball has to be careful. If they do not implement it right, they will cause other controversies. It is one thing to get certain plays right, but so much can happen in baseball if the call is changed. And some of the plays that have been controversial have other implications that I do not think the public even thinks about.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 12:58am
In Time Out

The ump giveth, and the ump taketh away.

Johan Santana, "Come on down". This your lucky day.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 01:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
The ump giveth, and the ump taketh away.

Johan Santana, "Come on down". This your lucky day.
Yeah, that ball got all chalk!