The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Batters Interference?

Had a game tonight and think I had BI, but wanted to get others' thoughts (good or bad).

JV, played by NFHS rules. R2, 2 outs. Runner steals on the pitch. Batter swings and misses. F2 attempts to throw out R2, but the throw hits the bat, which is raised above the batter's head. Throw sails off near F6 and rolls into left field, runner scores. I call BI for the bat being in the way of the throw because it was above the batter's head. Had the bat been shoulder high or a normal backswing, I wouldn't have called BI. Batter was still located in the box at the time of the throw.

Did I nail it or kick it? Also had CI and umpire interference by my partner- this was an odd game to say the least.

FWIW- IMO R2 would have been out by 3-4 feet had the throw been online.
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 11:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets View Post
Had a game tonight and think I had BI, but wanted to get others' thoughts (good or bad).

JV, played by NFHS rules. R2, 2 outs. Runner steals on the pitch. Batter swings and misses. F2 attempts to throw out R2, but the throw hits the bat, which is raised above the batter's head. Throw sails off near F6 and rolls into left field, runner scores. I call BI for the bat being in the way of the throw because it was above the batter's head. Had the bat been shoulder high or a normal backswing, I wouldn't have called BI. Batter was still located in the box at the time of the throw.

Did I nail it or kick it? Also had CI and umpire interference by my partner- this was an odd game to say the least.

Unless the batter moved the bat to be in the way after the pitch, you kicked it. He has no requirement to move from his position in the batter's box -- the catcher is expected to throw around him.
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
Unless the batter moved the bat to be in the way after the pitch, you kicked it.
Not necessarily. Intent is not required.

Quote:
He has no requirement to move from his position in the batter's box
Being in the box does not render the batter immune from interference.

Quote:
-- the catcher is expected to throw around him.
Not necessarily.
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Bad call.
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Htbt.
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I call BI for the bat being in the way of the throw because it was above the batter's head. Had the bat been shoulder high or a normal backswing, I wouldn't have called BI. Batter was still located in the box at the time of the throw.

Did I nail it or kick it? FWIW- IMO R2 would have been out by 3-4 feet had the throw been online.
Based on your words, you kicked it big time.
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 07:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Not necessarily.
I'm talking about a pitch that went straight from the pitcher's hand to the catcher's glove. Not talking about any exceptions or oddities, such as a pitch that bounced up or anything like that. If it's a simple pitch-catch-throw, the batter has no duty or responsibility to do anything, including lowering the bat.
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not necessarily.
Given the OP, are you saying you thought the call was right? If so, I believe you are incorrect. In a sitch like the OP, without intent, this is NOT interference.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It sounds to me that the batter did nothing wrong, here. I believe you kicked this one.
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm talking about a pitch that went straight from the pitcher's hand to the catcher's glove. Not talking about any exceptions or oddities, such as a pitch that bounced up or anything like that. If it's a simple pitch-catch-throw, the batter has no duty or responsibility to do anything, including lowering the bat.
That's funny--since I didn't say anything like that.
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Given the OP, are you saying you thought the call was right?
Asked and answered. I don't know. Wasn't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
If so, I believe you are incorrect. In a sitch like the OP, without intent, this is NOT interference.
Take the word intent and throw it away. Intent is not required.
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

It is amazing the number of times we see HTBT as a response. I can read what is written and comment on it as written without having to be there.

Not interference in this case, as written.
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
It is amazing the number of times we see HTBT as a response. I can read what is written and comment on it as written without having to be there.

Not interference in this case, as written.
Okay, God, why was the bat above his head?
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 08:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Okay, God, why was the bat above his head?
Most batters have the barrel end of the bat above their heads when in a hitting stance. They are not required to lower it when a player is stealing. Are you reading that the bat was raised up higher than the normal stance?
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Take the word intent and throw it away. Intent is not required.
On a batter that just swung at a pitch, it sure is. Describe for us a situation where the batter swings at a pitch, is hit by the ball being thrown from the catcher to a base, and there is no intent to interfere by the batter, where you believe interference to be the right call.

West Houston Mike