The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Well, I promise you that in professional baseball, there would be no BI called. The 'flaw' in my logic is widely accepted there.
Whatever you say...
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The flaw in your logic is the fundamental error exhibited in bold. Hence, everything after it is incorrect.

An offensive teammate is someone who is not a current participant (i.e. bullpen personnel, retired runners, scored runners, on-deck batters, etc.)
What Publius wrote is the most common interpretation and frankly.

That said, willful indifference can be "intent" and a batter who puts himself in the way 10' from the plate might have been smart enough to go to that general area intentionally.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 12:43pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost View Post

That said, willful indifference can be "intent" and a batter who puts himself in the way 10' from the plate might have been smart enough to go to that general area intentionally.
What do two Roman emperors know about baseball?
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, it's not. MLBUM 6.8 (you know, the part that actually deals with BI, not 6.16, which specifically deals with offensive interference under 3.15) states unequivocally that if a batter leaves the box and interferes with the throw in any way, it is BI.

Try again, sock puppet.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
No, it's not. MLBUM 6.8 (you know, the part that actually deals with BI, not 6.16, which specifically deals with offensive interference under 3.15) states unequivocally that if a batter leaves the box and interferes with the throw in any way, it is BI.

Try again, sock puppet.
I admit the copy given to me as an umpire is several years old but I don't see the unequivocal statement you mention.

Why the name calling?
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 08:46pm

Quote:
I admit the copy given to me as an umpire is several years old but I don't see the unequivocal statement you mention.
6.8 BATTER INTERFERES WITH CATCHER
Under Official Baseball Rule 6.06(c), if the batter interferes with the catcher's throw to retire a runner by stepping out of the batter's box, the plate umpire shall call "interference." The batter is out and the ball is dead (provided the catcher's initial throw does not retire the runner; see following paragraph).

Unequivocal.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Why the name calling?
It might refer to the curiosity that you appear sporadically and often when Publius posts. Seems to be some relationship where one of you has something up the other....like a sock puppet.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 09:15pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
6.8 BATTER INTERFERES WITH CATCHER
Under Official Baseball Rule 6.06(c), if the batter interferes with the catcher's throw to retire a runner by stepping out of the batter's box, the plate umpire shall call "interference." The batter is out and the ball is dead (provided the catcher's initial throw does not retire the runner; see following paragraph).

Unequivocal.
I had a batter step out (bail out) of the box to avoid a fastball to the head, then he got drilled with a snap throw to the helmet from F2 down to to 3B.

Should I have used the word unequivocal when explaining why I didn't rule interference?
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 09:18pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar's ghost View Post

why the name calling?
ssdd
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I had a batter step out (bail out) of the box to avoid a fastball to the head, then he got drilled with a snap throw to the helmet from F2 down to to 3B.

Should I have used the word unequivocal when explaining why I didn't rule interference?
No, you should have used the words, "your catcher sucks"!

Where was he throwing it, to the dugout?
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 09:33pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
No, you should have used the words, "your catcher sucks"!

Where was he throwing it, to the dugout?
That's where almost wound up.

The poor batter It's almost like having an accident, and Care Flight picks you up to transport you to the best medical facility in the world. Then the helicopter crashes.

Oh, the humanity!
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's where almost wound up.

The poor batter It's almost like having an accident, and Care Flight picks you up to transport you to the best medical facility in the world. Then the helicopter crashes.

Oh, the humanity!
LOL! Double Whammy!
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Roman citizens?

I argue 7.11 justifies a valid interference call. The batter failed to successfully vacate an area needed to make a play, not the area of home plate which he did vacate, but the area between the throw and the catch which he did not vacate.

A runner is protected from interference with a throw, ala Reggie Jackson. Does this unusual ruling apply to a batter or his teammates who fails to vacate a throwing lane needed by the the defense to make a play?
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 01:15am

Quote:

Perhaps. Did you laugh real hard when it happened?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
It might refer to the curiosity that you appear sporadically and often when Publius posts. Seems to be some relationship where one of you has something up the other....like a sock puppet.
Quote:
ssdd
There is no connection between publius and me (at least that I know of; I don't know who he really is).

Mr. Tyler's post gives the reason I choose not to post more here, and it's just getting worse. I posted recently because there were two or three threads in a row in which I thought I had something to add.