The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   DET @ CLE No Balk call two ejections (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/91337-det-cle-no-balk-call-two-ejections.html)

jwwashburn Thu May 24, 2012 07:10pm

DET @ CLE No Balk call two ejections

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | DET@CLE: Leyland, Brookens ejected arguing for a balk - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Looks like a balk to me.

Rita C Fri May 25, 2012 05:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 843295)

More so from the view from above than the view from second base.

Rita

mbyron Fri May 25, 2012 06:29am

Quote:

You think MLB umpires screwed up? I'm shocked, shocked!

Leyland was trying to light a fire under his offense to avoid a sweep. Didn't work.

ozzy6900 Fri May 25, 2012 07:26am

Definite balk in HS and youth. MLB, on the other hand, gets away with a lot. There was a minor stop which may be okay for MLB.

REFANDUMP Fri May 25, 2012 08:48am

That was a definite balk. Trying to defend that makes us all look bad as umpires.

starman Fri May 25, 2012 08:50am

If you look at the first replay, it also appeared that he went to his mouth while on the rubber.

PeteBooth Fri May 25, 2012 09:26am

Quote:

Quote:

An all too common scene in today's environment.

The Tigers are 4 games under 500 and 3-7 in their last 10 games including the sweep by the indians. In addition they had their ace Verlander on the hill and still could not salvage a game.

The Tigers were picked by the so called "experts" to run away with the Central Division. The Tigers are playing bad baseball, cannot score if they were facing a HS pitcher so let's blame the umpires.

We as amateur umpires see it most of the time. How many times have you officiated games where the score was 14-13 or some other rediculous score, a gazillion errors etc. etc. and you hear "Blue cost us that one"

It's todays' society. let's not blame ourselves let's blame someone else.

Pete Booth

thumpferee Fri May 25, 2012 10:15am

We have had so many discussions on this board about calling balks, or when not to call a balk. I have always been in favor of, if you see a balk, call a balk! Especially early!

I think arguing to U1 about it was the wrong choice. U3 and PU had a much better look at it. Not that it would have made a difference. I love the way PU said he didn't see it. At least that what it looked like his lips said.

He does have an excuse, he is an umpire so you know he's blind;)

Rita C Fri May 25, 2012 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by starman (Post 843363)
If you look at the first replay, it also appeared that he went to his mouth while on the rubber.

Which isn't a balk. (Unless he separated his hands to do so after coming set.)

Rita

starman Fri May 25, 2012 01:13pm

I realize that going to his mouth is not a balk. But shouldn't he have been charged a ball?

8.02 The pitcher shall not—
(a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber. EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand.
PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball. However, if the pitch is made and a batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a hit batsman or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation. Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president.

TwoBits Fri May 25, 2012 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 843344)
Definite balk in HS and youth. MLB, on the other hand, gets away with a lot. There was a minor stop which may be okay for MLB.

Agreed. I see a few veteran pitchers who get away with what would be considered illegal in youth ball, particularly coming to a complete stop at the chest, then stopping again at the belt.

jwwashburn Fri May 25, 2012 02:38pm

I have wondered when this changed....I do not think the rule has changed(at least not much) but, the enforcement sure has changed.

Saw some World Series game from the Late 60's and from 1975 not too long ago on ESPN Classic and many of those pitchers did not even pretend to stop...My guess is it changed right around when Lou Brock broke the Stolen Base record?

There is no way anyone was stealing 100+ bases with the way those guys were quick pitching.

jwwashburn Fri May 25, 2012 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 843339)
You think MLB umpires screwed up? I'm shocked, shocked!

Leyland was trying to light a fire under his offense to avoid a sweep. Didn't work.

You do not think they screwed up?

Rich Fri May 25, 2012 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 843413)
I have wondered when this changed....I do not think the rule has changed(at least not much) but, the enforcement sure has changed.

Saw some World Series game from the Late 60's and from 1975 not too long ago on ESPN Classic and many of those pitchers did not even pretend to stop...My guess is it changed right around when Lou Brock broke the Stolen Base record?

There is no way anyone was stealing 100+ bases with the way those guys were quick pitching.

It changed in the 80s when they added the word "discernible" for one season and the umpires called a TON of balks. The players union, I believe, never approved the word discernible and it was removed the next season.

No More 'Discernible' Stop, So Balks Will Be Balks Again - Los Angeles Times

Once the word discernible disappeared, the pitchers still seemed to stop a lot better than they did prior to this change.

jwwashburn Fri May 25, 2012 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 843417)
It changed in the 80s when they added the word "discernible" for one season and the umpires called a TON of balks. The players union, I believe, never approved the word discernible and it was removed the next season.

No More 'Discernible' Stop, So Balks Will Be Balks Again - Los Angeles Times

Once the word discernible disappeared, the pitchers still seemed to stop a lot better than they did prior to this change.

Hey thanks! I think I kind of remember that now.

I wonder if certain umpires just let it fly and did whatever they liked before that? I cannot see any way for Rickey Henderson, Tim Raines, Lou Brock, etc to have been able to do what they did if what I saw on ESPN was typical.