The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   When has a batter given himself up? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/91051-when-has-batter-given-himself-up.html)

RSturgell Tue May 08, 2012 02:36am

When has a batter given himself up?

Home team at bat, bottom of 6, 2 outs and R3. Full count on B1. Pitch comes in batter swings and misses, catcher drops ball. B1 starts walking toward his 3rd base side dugout and gets 4 to 5 steps out of box. 3rd base coach is going crazy telling him to run to 1st. B1 then starts to 1st. I call B1 out and say the game is over because B1 had not attempted to run. Obviously coach is not happy and said I called the play to quick. When is the batter considered out in this situation when not attempting to run?
Oh yeah all of this in a 9u game being umpired by just yours truly. Fun times.

mbyron Tue May 08, 2012 06:31am

OBR: BR out when he leaves the dirt circle/vicinity of the plate.

FED: BR out when he enters the dugout.

9U: don't lose any sleep on this call.

johnnyg08 Tue May 08, 2012 07:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSturgell (Post 840672)
Home team at bat, bottom of 6, 2 outs and R3. Full count on B1. Pitch comes in batter swings and misses, catcher drops ball. B1 starts walking toward his 3rd base side dugout and gets 4 to 5 steps out of box. 3rd base coach is going crazy telling him to run to 1st. B1 then starts to 1st. I call B1 out and say the game is over because B1 had not attempted to run. Obviously coach is not happy and said I called the play to quick. When is the batter considered out in this situation when not attempting to run?
Oh yeah all of this in a 9u game being umpired by just yours truly. Fun times.

What does the rule book tell you when you looked it up?

Rich Tue May 08, 2012 08:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 840683)

If it's Little League, it's when he enters the dugout (or DBT).

Rich Ives Tue May 08, 2012 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 840683)

Ditch "vicinity" - it's when he leaves the dirt circle. Saying "vicinity" validates the call in question and allows a discression not intended by rule.

GROUPthink is correct in LL rules.

CT1 Tue May 08, 2012 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 840700)
Ditch "vicinity" - it's when he leaves the dirt circle. Saying "vicinity" validates the call in question and allows a discression not intended by rule.

In many 9-under games, the field is ALL dirt, which is probably why the "vicinity" clause is in the rule.

thumpferee Tue May 08, 2012 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 840700)

What if it's an all dirt infield? Then it's umpire judgement as to where the "vicinity" of the circle would be.

Ex: legion ball using OBR rules.

mbyron Tue May 08, 2012 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 840705)
In many 9-under games, the field is ALL dirt, which is probably why the "vicinity" clause is in the rule.

I added the word 'vicinity', precisely to address the situation you mention.

For those who dislike it, substitute "10-13 feet from the plate."

thumpferee Tue May 08, 2012 09:27am

Quote:

You had to beat me to it by a second:cool:

Rich Tue May 08, 2012 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 840712)
I added the word 'vicinity', precisely to address the situation you mention.

For those who dislike it, substitute "10-13 feet from the plate."

The reason Little League has cited for *not* moving to this is the inconsistency of the size of circles at fields used all over the country.

I had a HS player take one step towards his dugout and the other coach was all over us saying "He gave himself up!" Wrong rule set, wrong application. The coach was 0-for-2.

Rich Ives Tue May 08, 2012 09:52am

Quote:

"Vicinity" is not in the rule.

Rule 6.09(b) Comment: A batter who does not realize his situation on a third strike not caught, and who is not in the process of running to first base, shall be declared out once he leaves the dirt circle surrounding home plate.

If there's no grass then you can envision where it would be, but if you do so be consistent. Might even be worth scribing one at the start of the game.

RadioBlue Tue May 08, 2012 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 840720)
Might even be worth scribing one at the start of the game.

No way, Jose! :D

thumpferee Tue May 08, 2012 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 840720)
"Vicinity" is not in the rule.
If there's no grass then you can envision where it would be, but if you do so be consistent. Might even be worth scribing one at the start of the game.

We don't have enough to do, now we line the field too?

Heck, I erase lines before the game starts. Dang white chalk from the catchers box always seems to get in my eyes and all over my clean shoes;)

Rich Ives Tue May 08, 2012 11:28am

30 seconds scribibg a line versus a potential argument (or more) later on ("You let the other guy get farther from the plate and didn't call him out")? Priceless.

thumpferee Tue May 08, 2012 11:42am

I've had games where they didn't even chalk the foul lines!

Let someone come out and argue a fair/foul call, go head, I dare you!:D