The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 19, 2003, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Question

Has anybody been following the college world series at the D-1 level? I wanted to ask fellow memebers of this forum, if they watched the two games yesterday that were played, and wanted to get an overall opinion of how both plate umpires did.

As I watched both games yesterday, it seemed like both plate umpires struggled with the strike zone for most of the game expecially on the corner pitches, and wanted to ask anybody's thoughts and observations.

Please keep this topic clean. The umpires who are at the College World Series each and every year have earned the right to be there, and we should still rally behind them, and support threm through the tough games, or tougher parts of the game they work.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2003, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Slightly offtopic, but did you see the first base umpire drop the PU into some hot grease in the Stanford game? PU rings up the batter on a check swing while the first base umpire says he didnt swing! "Thanks partner, next time wait until you are asked..."

The first base umpire is the same guy who got the missed base appeal wrong in the Florida St. vs. Texas Super Regional.

Overall I think the quality of umpiring in Omaha has been great. The last few plate games have been a little rough but if thats as bad as it gets we will be doing great.

Good luck to all of those guys.

Old Thu Jun 19, 2003, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
No question about what you just said. That was some hot grease the 1st base umpire caused the plate umpire. I would not want to have been in the plate umpire's shoes trying to explain that one last night, but like you said, outside of the two plate games I was mentioning in the original post, and the situation you refered to, if that is all that happens, then "men in blue" are doing an awesome job.

Good Luck Guys!! Keep Up The Good Work!!!
Old Fri Jun 20, 2003, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

I wouldnt want to be the first base umpire after the game. Either he's getting an ear full after they get to the locker room or he's buying everybody beer for a really, really long time.