The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Pick Off Attempt (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/8975-pick-off-attempt.html)

w_sohl Fri Jun 13, 2003 01:34pm

In regards to throwing only to an occupied base, runner on first only and has a HUGE lead. Does the pitcher have to throw to first or can they throw to second or anywhere between first and second when the runner goes?

Bfair Fri Jun 13, 2003 05:05pm

If the runner is judged to be advancing, then the pitcher must throw to 1B if his move is there, or he may continue to 2B (without hesitation at 1B) and throw or feint to unoccupied 2B since he is now making a play on an advancing runner. A throw to F4 away from the base and away from the runner is legal.

Frequently, the pitcher makes the move toward 1B and upon seeing the runner has broken to 2B, F1 continues his motion without interruption toward 2B---stepping there but not delivering the throw or even making any arm motion to throw. That, too, is legal, and F1 may follow that legal step and chase the runner if, indeed, the step was judged to have been toward 2B and not 1B.

Freix

TyroneThunder Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:48pm

It depends???

My understanding, and I've never seen it allowed even in the majors, if you make a move to first, you must throw to first. As an ump told me, how do you know the runner wasn't going to bluff and run 1/2 way and return, you just can't turn to first and not throw it.

Of course if you step off before throwing you become a defensive player and are free to do what you want.

I've had a hard time with rule 8.05

If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when_(d) The pitcher, while touching his plate, throws, or feints a throw to an unoccupied base, except for the purpose of making a play;

It seems to say it's OK but I've never found an umpire that allows it.

bob jenkins Mon Jun 16, 2003 01:03pm

Re: It depends???

Quote:

Originally posted by TyroneThunder

It seems to say it's OK but I've never found an umpire that allows it.

You've never found an umpire that would allow F1 (from the pitcher's plate) to throw to second when R1 is advancing?

Stop looking -- you've found one (and probably more) here.

GarthB Mon Jun 16, 2003 01:07pm

<b>It seems to say it's OK but I've never found an umpire that allows it. </b>

Pssssst. Look over here. Here's one.

chris s Mon Jun 16, 2003 07:36pm

TEE, I'm not....

Quote:

Originally posted by Tim C
I count as two . . . that makes FOUR!

Tee

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets even the count at 3+.LOL:D
I went from 5'8" 170 to 198, last years fechs would not fit, screw the 100 plus clams, I lost the gut......

[Edited by chris s on Jun 16th, 2003 at 07:38 PM]

jicecone Tue Jun 17, 2003 01:30pm

And 1 makes 3+.

David B Tue Jun 17, 2003 03:25pm

Add me to the list

and just why would you not allow it??

Just wonderin.

Thanks
David