The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Test Time (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/88918-test-time.html)

whatwuzthat Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:58am

Test Time

It is test time again here and I have some questions for the forum. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

With 1 out, R1 at 1st is stealing on the pitch when B2 hits a deep drive to left. R1 rounds 2nd completely stepping over the base and heads for 3rd. F7 catches the batted ball for the 2nd out. Seeing the F7 is in a position to catch B2's fly ball, R1 retreats, tagging 2nd on his way back. Before he reaches 1st, F7's errant throw back into the infield goes out of play. The umpire then awards R1 3rd base after the ball goes out of play after which the offensive head coach makes a dead ball appeal that R1 missed 2nd base.

A. The umpire calls R1 out on appeal for the 3rd out of the inning
B. The umpire sends R1 back to first stating that since the ball went out of play, the award and the missed base appeal cancel each other
C. Because of the last time by rule, the play stands with R1 at 3rd and two outs
D. None of the above are correct

^^^^^^^^^^

R2 is rounding third base and is obstructed by the 3rd baseman (as seen and called by the umpire). R2 then continues toward home where he maliciously runs over the catcher before scoring. The correct call is…

A. The obstruction takes precedence; award R2 home
B. The malicious contact takes precedence; call R2 out and eject him
C. Since each team committed a violation, go back and replay the entire situation with the same count on the batter
D. Since the malicious contact followed the obstruction; award R2 home on the obstruction, then eject him for malicious contact

^^^^^^^^^^

Several players bat out of order so that a player's time at bat occurs while he is a runner, the correct ruling is:

A. The player remains on base and an out is awarded to the defense.
B. The player remains on base, but he is not out for batting out of order.
C. A player not in the game will run the bases while the proper batter takes his turn at bat.
D. The player is out and removed from the bases.

mbyron Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:06am

Do you have a question about these? You won't learn much if we just tell you the answers.

dash_riprock Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatwuzthat (Post 824684)
It is test time again here and I have some questions for the forum. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

With 1 out, R1 at 1st is stealing on the pitch when B2 hits a deep drive to left. R1 rounds 2nd completely stepping over the base and heads for 3rd. F7 catches the batted ball for the 2nd out. Seeing the F7 is in a position to catch B2's fly ball, R1 retreats, tagging 2nd on his way back. Before he reaches 1st, F7's errant throw back into the infield goes out of play. The umpire then awards R1 3rd base after the ball goes out of play after which the offensive head coach makes a dead ball appeal that R1 missed 2nd base.

A. The umpire calls R1 out on appeal for the 3rd out of the inning
B. The umpire sends R1 back to first stating that since the ball went out of play, the award and the missed base appeal cancel each other
C. Because of the last time by rule, the play stands with R1 at 3rd and two outs
D. None of the above are correct

^^^^^^^^^^

R2 is rounding third base and is obstructed by the 3rd baseman (as seen and called by the umpire). R2 then continues toward home where he maliciously runs over the catcher before scoring. The correct call is…

A. The obstruction takes precedence; award R2 home
B. The malicious contact takes precedence; call R2 out and eject him
C. Since each team committed a violation, go back and replay the entire situation with the same count on the batter
D. Since the malicious contact followed the obstruction; award R2 home on the obstruction, then eject him for malicious contact

^^^^^^^^^^

Several players bat out of order so that a player's time at bat occurs while he is a runner, the correct ruling is:

A. The player remains on base and an out is awarded to the defense.
B. The player remains on base, but he is not out for batting out of order.
C. A player not in the game will run the bases while the proper batter takes his turn at bat.
D. The player is out and removed from the bases.

8-2-6-1-l

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

3-3-1-n Penalty
8-3-2

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

7-1-2 Note

bob jenkins Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:18am

Those don't seem too tough to me. (I do agree they could be better / more clear with a little tweaking.)

kylejt Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:36am

I'm assuming we're talking about FED rules, since someone is trying a dead ball appeal. Or, is that part of a trick question?

MikeStrybel Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:49am

Play 1: I have this as a last time by play.

Play 2: I have malicious contact superseding the OBS, then page 29 3-3-1 n Penalty is enforced.

Play 3: Was there an appeal?

bob jenkins Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 824719)
Play 3: Was there an appeal?

I don't think it matters, but the actions must have been "noticed" or the play couldn't happen.

ozzy6900 Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:17pm

Why are we answering FED test questions for a poster? That is the poster's job to find his/her answers. If the poster has a specific question, let him/her word the question pertaining to what they do not understand. Otherwise, we may as well post the entire FED test and post the answers, too.

JMHO

ODJ Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:26pm

These are not on the Fed test. Illinois test.

bbsbvb83 Sun Feb 19, 2012 01:02pm

Here is one from the IHSA (Illinois) test that I have an issue with:

With R1 at 1st, one out, R1 is stealing on the pitch. B3 hits a line drive to F3's right. F3 dives and catches the ball for the second out. While F3 is lying on the ground, R1 dives over F3's prone body and gets back to first base before F3 is able to tag either R1 or the base.

A. R1 is guilty of interference
B. R1 is out for diving over F3
C. F3 is guilty of obstruction and R1 is awarded second base
D. Legal play

According to 8-4-2b(2): Runners are never required to slide, but if a runner elects to slide, the slide must be legal. (2-32-1, 2) Jumping, hurdling, and leaping are all legal attempts to avoid a fielder as long as the fielder is lying on the ground. Diving over a fielder is illegal.

PENALTY: The runner is out. Interference is called and the ball is dead immediately. On a force-play slide with less than two outs, the runner is declared out, as well as the batter-runner. Runners shall return to the bases occupied at the time of the pitch. With two outs, the runner is declared out. The batter is credited with a fielder’s choice.

My guess is that "B" is the answer they are looking for. However, it seems to me that they should accept "A" as well. What say you?

mbyron Sun Feb 19, 2012 01:09pm

This isn't one of those Referee-style tests where you can select both A and B?

bbsbvb83 Sun Feb 19, 2012 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 825665)
This isn't one of those Referee-style tests where you can select both A and B?

No, sir. Only one answer is allowed.

bbsbvb83 Sun Feb 19, 2012 01:25pm

I just found a play in the case book that makes me think "B" must be the correct answer.

8.4.2 SITUATION V: R1 is advancing toward second base on a ground ball by B2 and is obstructed by F4. R1, in an attempt to avoid F4, dives over the top of F4.
RULING: R1 is declared out immediately, and unless he makes contact or alters the play of F4, the ball remains live. The act of obstruction is superseded by the act of diving over a fielder.

If diving over a fielder were considered interference, I believe we would have an immediate dead ball. I suppose I just answered my own question, although it seems like the rules book is a bit misleading here.

bob jenkins Sun Feb 19, 2012 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbsbvb83 (Post 825661)
According to 8-4-2b(2):

Wrong reference.

Try 8-4-2d.

bbsbvb83 Sun Feb 19, 2012 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 825685)
Wrong reference.

Try 8-4-2d.

Right you are, Bob. Thanks.

MikeStrybel Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:22am

Both rule references state that diving over a fielder is illegal. Either works when explaining to a coach that his kid is out. The big difference in the two is live ball/dead ball awareness. In your play there is no continuous action so it only remains alive for that second or two until you kill it to ring him up. Most other illegal slides have an interference component that kills it immediately. Good luck with your test.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 20, 2012 01:28pm

I thought this question could have been worded better. As it's written, a couple of answers seem possible to me:

With R1 at first base, less than two outs. A shot back at the pitcher deflects off the pitcher's foot toward first base. The pitcher chases the ball into the baseline between home and first. The pitcher arrives at the ball ahead of the batter-runner. As the pitcher is reaching for the ball, the batter-runner collides with the pitcher (not malicious) and both players fall to the ground. The pitcher gets up with the ball and tosses to first base for the put-out on the batter-runner.

* A. Obstruction on the pitcher; award BR at least first base; and award the base he is forced to by BR's obstruction award unless he advances further while the ball is in play
* B. Inference on the BR; call him out and return R1 to first base
* C. Incidental contact; play on
* D. The out stands; award R1 2nd base

RPatrino Mon Feb 20, 2012 01:36pm

I saw this play on youtube, and it replays in my head constantly. Make it stopppppp!!!

bob jenkins Mon Feb 20, 2012 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 826037)
I saw this play on youtube, and it replays in my head constantly. Make it stopppppp!!!

Me too. But, is that what they really are describing? (It might be, but the descirption doesn't quite seem to match) IS the FED rule different? (yes, to that last one)

RPatrino Mon Feb 20, 2012 02:05pm

No, I don't think its the exact same play. I recall that the youtube play has the ball, BR and F1 arriving at the same time. In this scenario, the pitcher arrives at the ball ahead of the runner.

In the situation presented here, I don't think C or D apply as answers (FED). The pitcher arriving AHEAD of the BR is key? As presented the BR has to allow the pitcher the opportunity to field the ball (read this literally, meaning the BR would have time to avoid F1), then I say B. ORRRRRRRR, does the F1 impede the BR without possession of the ball? I personally lean toward obstruction, as the F1 does not have possession of the ball and impeded the progress of the BR. Make that assumption and you have A. Either way this is a lose-lose call, expect a brew-ha-ha.

I agree that this question is poorly written, given that you have to either read it literally and make assumptions, or make assumptions and read into the situation. This makes it a poor learning situation.

MikeStrybel Mon Feb 20, 2012 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 826032)
I thought this question could have been worded better. As it's written, a couple of answers seem possible to me:

With R1 at first base, less than two outs. A shot back at the pitcher deflects off the pitcher's foot toward first base. The pitcher chases the ball into the baseline between home and first. The pitcher arrives at the ball ahead of the batter-runner. As the pitcher is reaching for the ball, the batter-runner collides with the pitcher (not malicious) and both players fall to the ground. The pitcher gets up with the ball and tosses to first base for the put-out on the batter-runner.

* A. Obstruction on the pitcher; award BR at least first base; and award the base he is forced to by BR's obstruction award unless he advances further while the ball is in play
* B. Inference on the BR; call him out and return R1 to first base
* C. Incidental contact; play on
* D. The out stands; award R1 2nd base

This is one of those plays that we discussed in numerous emails and phone calls. Some insisted that this is a step and reach protection play. They contended that the pitcher lost his protection when he had to run after the ball that he deflected. Most of the others agreed that the pitcher was protected for two reasons - first, he is making the play on a ball that hit him (he did not make an initial play on it) and secondly, the runner would have to be inside the field of play to collide with him. The argument that B was appropriate seemed logical since Fed tends to penalize the offending team in the worst possible way. I could have sworn there was a similar play in the pros last year. If anyone knows of this, please post a link.

What do you have on this one, Bob?

johnnyg08 Mon Feb 20, 2012 02:46pm

This play

Freak Baseball Play!!! (Umpire)read info - YouTube

RPatrino Mon Feb 20, 2012 02:48pm

In this play, the ball has been deflected and is rolling, clearly not in possession of F1. I don't believe F1 has protection as he is clearly not attempting to field a batted or thrown ball. If the ball rolls into the baseline, what is the BR's responsibility to avoid interference?

johnnyg08 Mon Feb 20, 2012 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 826068)
In this play, the ball has been deflected and is rolling, clearly not in possession of F1. I don't believe F1 has protection as he is clearly not attempting to field a batted or thrown ball. If the ball rolls into the baseline, what is the BR's responsibility to avoid interference?

Batter runner has to avoid if reasonable and can't do anything intentional. We can't expect BR to disappear. In the video, the proper call is Obstruction.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 20, 2012 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 826064)
This is one of those plays that we discussed in numerous emails and phone calls. Some insisted that this is a step and reach protection play. They contended that the pitcher lost his protection when he had to run after the ball that he deflected. Most of the others agreed that the pitcher was protected for two reasons - first, he is making the play on a ball that hit him (he did not make an initial play on it) and secondly, the runner would have to be inside the field of play to collide with him. The argument that B was appropriate seemed logical since Fed tends to penalize the offending team in the worst possible way. I could have sworn there was a similar play in the pros last year. If anyone knows of this, please post a link.

What do you have on this one, Bob?

The "inside the field of play" doesn't matter (I don't think) -- and it's not specified exactly where the collision took place.

The part that's unclear to me is whether F1 initially "tried to field" the ball.

In FED, a runner is out if he "hinders a fielder on his INITIAL (emphasis added) attempt to field a batted ball. A fielder is not protected ... if he misplays the ball and has to move from his original location" (8-4-2g)

In NCAA, "If a fielder chases after a deflected batted ball ahead of a runner's arrival and is in the act of picking up the ball (fielding) when contact is made by an offensive player, interference is the call." 2-Interference, AR5

In OBR, if ANOTHER (emphasis added) fielder has an opportunity to make a play, then it's interference. (Sorry, no books handy for an exact quote / reference). Some school(s) apparently teach that the protection also applies to the SAME fielder as long as he's back to fielding the ball and not just chasing after it.

MikeStrybel Mon Feb 20, 2012 04:20pm

I see your point about fielding the ball and then leaving that position to retrieve it. From the way it's written, I read it to be that it was a smash back that carromed (sp?) off the pitcher's foot towards the first base line. I then read it to be that the pitcher was reaching for the ball to make a play, but you're right it isn't clear. I can see where an umpire might assume that the pitcher was rushing to get a ball that he deflected foul and stepped into the running lane.

It wasn't my favorite question.

mbyron Mon Feb 20, 2012 07:21pm

Getting hit by a batted ball is not an attempt to field it, and thus a deflection is not a misplayed ball. Protection continues for the fielder fielding a batted ball. JMHO.

MikeStrybel Tue Feb 21, 2012 08:54am

Agreed. I noted that in post #21. I have requested a rule interp on this one from the IHSA but may have to wait since it is a current test question.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:28am

From an esteemed member on another forum:

Quote:

This play has been on my mind for two weeks. As I indicated in my prior post in this thread, we have been debating the video posted in this thread in my high school association before this thread even started.

I don't normally do this, but this time I made an exception, and called one of my contacts from my professional umpiring days. [I am not going to name drop...so don't ask.] I can CONCLUSIVELY state that both an PBUC and a MLB umpiring executive believe "obstruction" is the correct call in the play shown on the video posted on this thread under OBR.

It was explained to me that a fielder who deflects a batted ball and then chases after it is not protected while he is chasing after it. (We all know that!) They further stated that the fielder who chased after it CAN regain protection if he reaches a point where he is no longer chasing after the batted ball and is again in the act of fielding the ball. However, the key on the professional level is whether or not the RUNNER has sufficient time to see that the fielder is no longer chasing after the ball, and is, in fact, in the act of fielding the ball and thus is given a reasonable opportunity to adjust where he is running in order to avoid the contact. What is not important is whether or not the fielder has the ball in his possession. In fact, the fielder does not have to actually have possession of the ball to be protected: all that matters is that he has stopped chasing the ball (it is within a step) AND the runner has an opportunity to see that the fielder is no longer chasing after the ball (and is now fielding the ball) and thus is given an opportunity to avoid the fielder.

Both executives were in agreement that the runner in the play shown on the video posted in this thread had no opportunity to avoid the contact which resulted from the pitcher running and stopping in the B/R's path (regardless of whether or not the fielder had picked up the ball or stopped running after the ball at the time of the collision). Because the runner had no reasonable opportunity to avoid the contact, the onus was on the fielder (who deflected the ball and chased after the ball into the runner's path) to avoid impeding the runner. Thus, obstruction is the correct call.

They were clear in stating that each play would have to be evaluated on its own merits. They stated that there is NO blanket rule as to how long a fielder must have been stopped from chasing a ball (and in the act of fielding it again) in order to conclusively determine if the runner was given a reasonable opportunity to avoid the contact.

You can, if you desire, argue all you want. I did NOT get this information second hand; it was told to me directly. Obstruction is the definitive ruling in both MLB and MiLB on the play shown on the video in this thread. Thus, my statement as to what I thought was the right call on the play in this video that I wrote in my first post in this thread is/was wrong. Mea Culpa.

MikeStrybel Tue Feb 21, 2012 03:31pm

Obstruction would be the correct call at the Fed level too.