The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

We had a situation last night where BR didn't realize the catcher had "dropped" the 3rd strike (actually WP) and was half way to the dugout when he responded to the yells of the coach and took off to first... and made it due to E2. Defensive coach argued it was too late for BR.

I read a thread from this forum on this from last July that resolved this via OBR casebook. I can't find anything in FED rules about when the BR is out. Is it same as OBR, i.e., dugout steps / dugout?
Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

The batter is still in live-ball territory until he reaches the dugout even in FED ball. He can run to 1st at any time provided that he does not enter the dugout (just like OBR). Most of us umpires see this at least 2 to 3 times a season in the JV circuit. I haven't seen it in Varsity ball in a long time.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fguyton
We had a situation last night where BR didn't realize the catcher had "dropped" the 3rd strike (actually WP) and was half way to the dugout when he responded to the yells of the coach and took off to first... and made it due to E2. Defensive coach argued it was too late for BR.

I read a thread from this forum on this from last July that resolved this via OBR casebook. I can't find anything in FED rules about when the BR is out. Is it same as OBR, i.e., dugout steps / dugout?
IT's at least substantially the same -- see, for example, 8.4.1J (I think there are others).
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
There is abandoning the base. If the BR was heading to the 3b dugout you could rule that he did, especially if he had taken off his helmet. However that is really pushing the rule cuz 8-4-2p says he needs to touch first. So safe bet is he gets to dugout and steps into it. If he removed helmet, it was during live ball and results in a team warning.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Question

If he removed helmet, it was during live ball and results in a team warning.

Are you saying you give a team warning when the first batter of each team removes his helmet on the way to the dug out?
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 04:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
per Fed rule 5-2-e you could.. it is a live ball in live ball territory.. penelty is team warning for first offense ejection after that.

Now is that "digging for boogers"?? yeah and a nice little handy tool if needed. Have I used it?? no. But it is a rule.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.