The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

I am starting my rookie year and I have been trying to do some reading of different sources for hints/suggestions... In a few different articles, I have read about not turning your head when calling a strike. Yet, as I watch major league umps on TV, I have yet to see one who does NOT turn his head in that situation.

Is it that important? Is this something you can get away with it once you're in "the show"?

Just wondering?
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

I don't belive you are seeing them turn their head when they actually call the strike, more likely you are watching them turn their head after they have called the strike and are indicating the strike with a signal.

As a professional ump you can generally afford to turn your head for a second because their are three other officials to cover what may be a quick following play. As an amateur your not always affored that luxury and just as you turn your head the catcher throws somewhere or the batter interfers, and you aren't seeing the whole picture.

Work on keeping your head still and establising a good strike zone before you try and copy the pro's. Establishing good timing when calling balls and strikes is necessary to establishing a good zone.

I used to turn my head quickly to announce a strike and found myself hurrying to make the announcement and not taking the extra time to see the pitch. A good knucle ball pitcher or one with a lot of movement can deceive you if you don't stay down and see the whole pitch, into the catchers glove.

Work more on establishing a good zone right now and you can get the signals latter. The boys on TV have been through a lot of training and probably a min of 8 - 12 yrs experience. Mabey more.
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Do not watch professional ANYTHING!

If you want to be a wrestler, don't watch WWF.

If you want to be an NBA ref, don't watch them give that extra step to Jordan.

And if you want to be an umpire, don't watch how they do it in the MLB.

Just do it the right way and let the professionals be the professionals.
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Talking Au Contraire

Watch the professionals closely. Watch those working single A minors for mechanics. Their mechanics are crisp and accurate and still two man. (You're not going to get many four man games for a while)

Watch the MLB pro's for rules enforcement and the practice of "making the expected call."

Some purists will tell you that the amateurs call a game closer to the rule book. Maybe that's why they're amateurs.

No one on this board calls as good of an all around game as the worst MLB umpire. Some will tell you different, but trust me, it's only in their eyes.
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Re: Au Contraire

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Watch the professionals closely. Watch those working single A minors for mechanics. Their mechanics are crisp and accurate and still two man. (You're not going to get many four man games for a while)

Watch the MLB pro's for rules enforcement and the practice of "making the expected call."

Some purists will tell you that the amateurs call a game closer to the rule book. Maybe that's why they're amateurs.

No one on this board calls as good of an all around game as the worst MLB umpire. Some will tell you different, but trust me, it's only in their eyes.
I have to say, I agree with you 100% Garth! The professionals are professionals for a reason. I have watched several TOP College games and the mechanics are nothing compared to the BIG LEAGUE BLUE. That is if you watch the umps and not the players.

jicecone also makes a good point that there are 3 other officials watching the bases and the actions on the field. At our level, we are not afforded that luxury in most cases.

One thing tho is, I don't turn my head! I personally feel better keeping my eyes on the field. But I think everyone has to adapt their own style. If you are like me, I have adapted a style of my own after a couple of years, and then I see a MLB ump and it looks good. Then I try it in the mirror, or ask my wife or kids what they think, and they say they don't like it. Point being, some things work for some and not for others.

I work on mechanics all the time in my house and scare the sh*t outa my wife and kids sometime with a loud "STRIKE!" or "OUT" call while I'm watchin' a game on tv.

I have found for myself, less is better, accept on the third strike of course. lol
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Jay R,

As my fellow umpires have said so far, watch the major league blue. The only thing I CAUTION you on is this, do not move your head up or down to follow the pitch to its landing point. Whether you work the scissors, or you work the box/slot position, as the pitcher goes into his delivery have your body completely set still, with your eyes at the very top of the strike zone. See the pitch, take the extra second to confirm it in your mind, and then announce your call accordingly.
When I work the plate, once I confirm the pitch in my mind, and make the call. When I call a strike, I come up out of my slot position, 1. I point to my right using my right hand when I call strikes.

Good Luck with your season and I hope this information helps you out.
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up You too??

I work on mechanics all the time in my house and scare the sh*t outa my wife and kids sometime with a loud "STRIKE!" or "OUT" call while I'm watchin' a game on tv.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~`
So, I am not the only one!! LOL
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I have to agree in some of what has been said. I totally ignore mechanice at the MLB level. Who here has really been taught to get on a knee to make that safe/out call at first?? It is hands on knee. MLB is pretty good for rules but the problem comes alot of time from the "all-so-knowing" commentators.

A, even AA is the best to watch, especially for mechanics as those are the guys that have to really stick to it. D1 is also a good one. Like they said above stick to ones using 2 man.

And note, these are opinions I have formed from talking with former and current AA and AAA blues.

Now having said that I oringinally followed for of the "styling" of some MLB umps for mainly strike 3 calls. As far as called stikes I did turn as well and look to my right as I pointed. I almost missed calls a couple times some I have worked on making all my strike (including third)to where I keep my eyes toward the field. It is not totally habit yet, but I'm working on it..

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.