View Single Post
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

I don't belive you are seeing them turn their head when they actually call the strike, more likely you are watching them turn their head after they have called the strike and are indicating the strike with a signal.

As a professional ump you can generally afford to turn your head for a second because their are three other officials to cover what may be a quick following play. As an amateur your not always affored that luxury and just as you turn your head the catcher throws somewhere or the batter interfers, and you aren't seeing the whole picture.

Work on keeping your head still and establising a good strike zone before you try and copy the pro's. Establishing good timing when calling balls and strikes is necessary to establishing a good zone.

I used to turn my head quickly to announce a strike and found myself hurrying to make the announcement and not taking the extra time to see the pitch. A good knucle ball pitcher or one with a lot of movement can deceive you if you don't stay down and see the whole pitch, into the catchers glove.

Work more on establishing a good zone right now and you can get the signals latter. The boys on TV have been through a lot of training and probably a min of 8 - 12 yrs experience. Mabey more.