The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 10, 2003, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Got a call this morning from one of my D3 buds, got some real local MSBL for ya! I am already hesitant, I know most all the local guys, used to play with em. 50 per game, 9 and 7. 12 after 5 and 10 after 7, gotta get down at home, FPSR (FED) at the sacks. Ok with that, simple MSBL crap.

Then, when do I get paid? He responds, "Well, go easy on em, we are just getting this league going here." I sez" Well, do I get paid before, during, or after the games?" He tells me , "get them to pay between games" I sez" if they are gonna pay between, they pay me before, I doubt they are smoking it up during the games!"

Told homey, I'll be there, BUT... no money up front.....no umpiring from me.been there.done that.....

We'll see................
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

And your question is.......? MSBL is respectable. They pay before and don't need to go easy.

They are 12 runs after 7 by the way.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Excuse this Canadian guy ignorance. But what is MSBL?
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Mens Senior Baseball League
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Whowefoolin
And your question is.......? MSBL is respectable. They pay before and don't need to go easy.

They are 12 runs after 7 by the way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
Question? NONE. Comment, YES. MSBL respectable, NOT ALWAYS. Pay before, not 2 seasons ago, waited 2 1/2 months for over 440.00 clams. Different league(area). And, it is 12 after 5 and 10 after 7 here..cheers
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Local MSBL's decide on their own such things as mercy rules, slide rules, and even substitutions and batting orders. It varies widely all over the country. We host some fairly good sized tournaments here, and we get guys from all over, and I've talked to many about their rules and how they differ from ours.

For example, our mercy rule is 12 runs after 7 innings. Barring any other circumstance, the least a lop-sided game can go is 6-1/2. However, our MSBL is also a wooden bat league. Since the switch from aluminum three years ago, the games are far more competitive and last only a couple of hours, as opposed to the sometimes 3-1/2 hour debacles they sometimes were.

We're paid by mail. The check sometimes doesn't arrive for a couple of weeks. But I've been working with that MSBL for years, and I know just about everyone involved in running the league.

You have to have some bucks to play in our MSBL, not only because the wooden bats are $60 - $70 apiece and break often, but the fields they play on are some of the best in our area and cost a pretty penny to use. Heck, they've got a fund going right now to buy lights for the field at Rhode Island College, so they can gain exclusive use of that facility. We have lawyers and doctors and executives and company owners and local newsmen and even ex-pro's.

[Edited by Jim Porter on Jun 12th, 2003 at 02:11 PM]
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Porter
Local MSBL's decide on their own such things as mercy rules, slide rules, and even substitutions and batting orders. It varies widely all over the country. We host some fairly good sized tournaments here, and we get guys from all over, and I've talked to many about their rules and how they differ from ours.

For example, our mercy rule is 12 runs after 7 innings. Barring any other circumstance, the least a lop-sided game can go is 6-1/2. However, our MSBL is also a wooden bat league. Since the switch from aluminum three years ago, the games are far more competitive and last only a couple of hours, as opposed to the sometimes 3-1/2 hour debacles they sometimes were.

We're paid by mail. The check sometimes doesn't arrive for a couple of weeks. But I've been working with that MSBL for years, and I know just about everyone involved in running the league.

You have to have some bucks to play in our MSBL, not only because the wooden bats are $60 - $70 apiece and break often, but the fields they play on are some of the best in our area and cost a pretty penny to use. Heck, they've got a fund going right now to buy lights for the field at Rhode Island College, so they can gain exclusive use of that facility. We have lawyers and doctors and executives and company owners and local newsmen and even ex-pro's.

[Edited by Jim Porter on Jun 12th, 2003 at 02:11 PM]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~`
The league I worked a few years ago had Mark Eicorn(Blue Jays) playing, got to see his "stuff" the one time I saw him pitch, mostly played SS. You are right about the big bucks to play, our local guys use the high school fields and spring a deal to upkeep the fields and such for usage. I can only wish it were wood bat!!!
Old Fri Jun 13, 2003, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Any local league is only as good as its local management.
Pay terms and issues are generally handled locally..........

Freix