The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   End of JEAPU? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/88118-end-jeapu.html)

mbyron Fri Feb 10, 2012 09:05am

End of JEAPU?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/10/sp...at-party.html?

cbfoulds Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:48am

Probably.

How many are likely to pay the freight if there is NO chance of being selected for PBUC?

Not discounting nefarious motives at the MiLB & PBUC levels, now that they have their own, competing, school: Evan's apparent cluelessness about what his employees did wrong is just sad.

MrUmpire Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:04am

Over reach by MiLB. Dealing with the instructors, who also happen to be MiLB umpires, is justified; handing out the death penalty to the school is not.

Seems obvious that ulterior motives are at play, and with a contract, Jim is probably done. Harry's is next.

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 02:36pm

Still, if this KKK stuff did happen, it was just plain stupid.

MikeStrybel Fri Feb 10, 2012 04:48pm

A good friend just finished The Umpire School and was asked to attend PBUC. He told me the stats from his and the other schools the morning he finished and I was floored. 14 of the 30 students were asked to PBUC Eval! I may be mistaken but I believe that PBUC Eval takes 36 candidates. If so, Wendlestedt sent 14 (from 120) and JEA would have just 8. Any one else here these numbers?

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 04:53pm

Those numbers are incorrect.

mbyron Fri Feb 10, 2012 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 822588)
Still, if this KKK stuff did happen, it was just plain stupid.

Did you read the article? It's not quite what you think, and in my opinion doesn't warrant the punishment.

Given what actually happened Jim's low-key response actually makes more sense. I don't think he saw the sh*tstorm that was coming.

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 04:54pm

Did you read my post? I'll repeat it:

If this KKK stuff did happen, it was just plain stupid.

mbyron Fri Feb 10, 2012 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 822634)
Did you read my post? I'll repeat it:

If this KKK stuff did happen, it was just plain stupid.

Oh, so you read the story and didn't understand it. Got it. Thanks. :)

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 04:58pm

No. Stop being such a child and assuming that which was never stated or even implied. Go back and read my original comment.

mbyron Fri Feb 10, 2012 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 822638)
No. Stop being such a child and assuming that which was never stated or even implied. Go back and read my original comment.

Stop being such a child and calling names. Go back and read the story, which answers your original comment.

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 05:03pm

Look, since you're being such an ignorant juvenile here, I'll spell it out more clearly so you can understand:
  • I made NO reference to the punishment.
  • I made no comments alluding to Jim's actions or comments.
  • My original comment was specifically and singularly directed at the actions of those who MAY (that's the word "if" means in the English language) have dressed up as KKK look-a-likes.

So, my original comments stands: If they did that, it was stupid. Stop ASSuming that which was not stated or implied.

cbfoulds Fri Feb 10, 2012 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 822633)
Did you read the article? It's not quite what you think, and in my opinion doesn't warrant the punishment.

Given what actually happened Jim's low-key response actually makes more sense. I don't think he saw the sh*tstorm that was coming.

I read it.

I am certain that the outcome is not punishment, it's pretext: for something Professional Baseball was looking to do anyway.

I agree that Evans didn't see the sh*tstorm coming. Like I said previously, that is both clueless and sad.

Guys prancing around in [even fake-/ pseudo-/ mock-] "KKK" outfits, complete w/ pointy hats in the South [which I am a proud part of] and in front of "the lone black employee" can NEVER be "all in good fun" / "a bad joke never meant to hurt anyone". You have to have been living under one hell of a rock for the last 40 years not to get that.

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 05:08pm

That's the only thin on which I had commented--the actions by the guys donning the KKK-like outfits. If they did that, it was just plain stupid. However, some genius here began childishly railing on me for things into which I didn't even delve.

mbyron Fri Feb 10, 2012 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbfoulds (Post 822644)
Guys prancing around in [even fake-/ pseudo-/ mock-] "KKK" outfits, complete w/ pointy hats in the South [which I am a proud part of] and in front of "the lone black employee" can NEVER be "all in good fun" / "a bad joke never meant to hurt anyone". You have to have been living under one hell of a rock for the last 40 years not to get that.

Agreed. I'm simply commenting that the connection between Klein's T-shirts (not mock KKK outfits) and the Klan was probably a secondary thing (Klein is Jewish, after all). The hats probably lasted 30 seconds. Long enough for a photo.

Once the connection was made, all concerned should have fled from it rather than chuckling. And when it hit the media, you go into full retraction and apology mode, not defensiveness. "That's not what happened" isn't cutting it.