The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   End of JEAPU? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/88118-end-jeapu.html)

mbyron Fri Feb 10, 2012 09:05am

End of JEAPU?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/10/sp...at-party.html?

cbfoulds Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:48am

Probably.

How many are likely to pay the freight if there is NO chance of being selected for PBUC?

Not discounting nefarious motives at the MiLB & PBUC levels, now that they have their own, competing, school: Evan's apparent cluelessness about what his employees did wrong is just sad.

MrUmpire Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:04am

Over reach by MiLB. Dealing with the instructors, who also happen to be MiLB umpires, is justified; handing out the death penalty to the school is not.

Seems obvious that ulterior motives are at play, and with a contract, Jim is probably done. Harry's is next.

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 02:36pm

Still, if this KKK stuff did happen, it was just plain stupid.

MikeStrybel Fri Feb 10, 2012 04:48pm

A good friend just finished The Umpire School and was asked to attend PBUC. He told me the stats from his and the other schools the morning he finished and I was floored. 14 of the 30 students were asked to PBUC Eval! I may be mistaken but I believe that PBUC Eval takes 36 candidates. If so, Wendlestedt sent 14 (from 120) and JEA would have just 8. Any one else here these numbers?

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 04:53pm

Those numbers are incorrect.

mbyron Fri Feb 10, 2012 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 822588)
Still, if this KKK stuff did happen, it was just plain stupid.

Did you read the article? It's not quite what you think, and in my opinion doesn't warrant the punishment.

Given what actually happened Jim's low-key response actually makes more sense. I don't think he saw the sh*tstorm that was coming.

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 04:54pm

Did you read my post? I'll repeat it:

If this KKK stuff did happen, it was just plain stupid.

mbyron Fri Feb 10, 2012 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 822634)
Did you read my post? I'll repeat it:

If this KKK stuff did happen, it was just plain stupid.

Oh, so you read the story and didn't understand it. Got it. Thanks. :)

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 04:58pm

No. Stop being such a child and assuming that which was never stated or even implied. Go back and read my original comment.

mbyron Fri Feb 10, 2012 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 822638)
No. Stop being such a child and assuming that which was never stated or even implied. Go back and read my original comment.

Stop being such a child and calling names. Go back and read the story, which answers your original comment.

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 05:03pm

Look, since you're being such an ignorant juvenile here, I'll spell it out more clearly so you can understand:
  • I made NO reference to the punishment.
  • I made no comments alluding to Jim's actions or comments.
  • My original comment was specifically and singularly directed at the actions of those who MAY (that's the word "if" means in the English language) have dressed up as KKK look-a-likes.

So, my original comments stands: If they did that, it was stupid. Stop ASSuming that which was not stated or implied.

cbfoulds Fri Feb 10, 2012 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 822633)
Did you read the article? It's not quite what you think, and in my opinion doesn't warrant the punishment.

Given what actually happened Jim's low-key response actually makes more sense. I don't think he saw the sh*tstorm that was coming.

I read it.

I am certain that the outcome is not punishment, it's pretext: for something Professional Baseball was looking to do anyway.

I agree that Evans didn't see the sh*tstorm coming. Like I said previously, that is both clueless and sad.

Guys prancing around in [even fake-/ pseudo-/ mock-] "KKK" outfits, complete w/ pointy hats in the South [which I am a proud part of] and in front of "the lone black employee" can NEVER be "all in good fun" / "a bad joke never meant to hurt anyone". You have to have been living under one hell of a rock for the last 40 years not to get that.

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 05:08pm

That's the only thin on which I had commented--the actions by the guys donning the KKK-like outfits. If they did that, it was just plain stupid. However, some genius here began childishly railing on me for things into which I didn't even delve.

mbyron Fri Feb 10, 2012 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbfoulds (Post 822644)
Guys prancing around in [even fake-/ pseudo-/ mock-] "KKK" outfits, complete w/ pointy hats in the South [which I am a proud part of] and in front of "the lone black employee" can NEVER be "all in good fun" / "a bad joke never meant to hurt anyone". You have to have been living under one hell of a rock for the last 40 years not to get that.

Agreed. I'm simply commenting that the connection between Klein's T-shirts (not mock KKK outfits) and the Klan was probably a secondary thing (Klein is Jewish, after all). The hats probably lasted 30 seconds. Long enough for a photo.

Once the connection was made, all concerned should have fled from it rather than chuckling. And when it hit the media, you go into full retraction and apology mode, not defensiveness. "That's not what happened" isn't cutting it.

MikeStrybel Fri Feb 10, 2012 07:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 822631)
Those numbers are incorrect.

The umpire I spoke to just finished The Umpire School. He cited 30 students and 14 who were invited to attend PBUC Evaluations. Their Facebook page quotes the same number.

The Wendlestedt School forum states that they placed 14 in PBUC Eval as well.

Please elaborate.

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 07:34pm

They were incorrect when compared to the numbers indicated in the aforementioned NYT article.

MikeStrybel Fri Feb 10, 2012 07:38pm

Fine. I was told a firsthand account of The Umpire School saga. I am proud of my friend's achievement and opportunity. He told of 14 students from his class of 30 being chosen. The Wendelstedt forum features some gripes about them also getting 14 out of 120. If Jim Evans' school also produced 14 from 117, those young men are also to be congratulated.

My friend said that PBUC anticipated having 36 openings. If each school pushes 14 to eval, there will be 6 who will leave unhappy, it seems. If they have more than 36 assignments, good for them. I truly could care less about numbers. I prefer to congratulate those who succeeded and praise The Umpire School for doing, what looks like percentage wise, an incredible job.

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 07:41pm

What??? How dare you dispute information found in the NYT! After all, it is the source most often cited by our president, the Left, and... :D

Publius Fri Feb 10, 2012 07:46pm

I predict a reincarnation: the JEACU.

Evans will use his connection with Dick Runchey to provide college umpires. The five-week school and the Classics will be replaced by twelve week-log clinics given around the country. After a decade-long grandfathering period, only Acad Grads will be eligible to work Omaha.

Then the NCAA will buy it and change the name to Arbiter Umpiring Training Services.

MrUmpire Fri Feb 10, 2012 07:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 822623)
A good friend just finished The Umpire School and was asked to attend PBUC. He told me the stats from his and the other schools the morning he finished and I was floored. 14 of the 30 students were asked to PBUC Eval! I may be mistaken but I believe that PBUC Eval takes 36 candidates. If so, Wendlestedt sent 14 (from 120) and JEA would have just 8. Any one else here these numbers?

You and/or your friend are mistaken. Evans will also send 14. Percentages has nothing to do with it. Each school was asked for 14 regardless of size of class or past success in training. PBUC has always asked for the same number from each school. They have been careful to not show favoritism, evn though more Evans grads move on to a contract that Wendelstedt....at least in the past 12 or 13 years.

Check out which school the last five umpires promoted to MLB attended. Check out how many current MiLB umpires attended which school.

yawetag Fri Feb 10, 2012 08:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 822683)

Evans will use his connection with Dick Runchey to provide college umpires. The five-week school and the Classics will be replaced by twelve week-log clinics given around the country. After a decade-long grandfathering period, only Acad Grads will be eligible to work Omaha.

Then the NCAA will buy it and change the name to Arbiter Umpiring Training Services.

Not a bad prediction. I've said elsewhere that if he changed it to a two-week class and offered three of them over the 6 weeks, I'd look into going. Getting 5 weeks off at work is impossible; two weeks is doable.

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 08:48pm

Quote:

I don't doubt it. What will happen, though, to all those MiLB Umpires who quit/are released and find themselves working post-season NCAA? After all, so many of them work the upper echelons of D1.

Publius Fri Feb 10, 2012 09:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 822698)
I don't doubt it. What will happen, though, to all those MiLB Umpires who quit/are released and find themselves working post-season NCAA? After all, so many of them work the upper echelons of D1.

I envision the NCAA setting some year as a cutoff. After that, they don't care if you're Tony Thompson, Jim Schaly, Jon Bible or Perry Costello--do their training or you can't be considered for post-season play.

I'd be happier if they made the rules test closed-book, and assignors actually used the results as one indicator of who knows WTF they're doing. A vast majority of the people I partner with during the year (I don't work D1) get together and take it as a group. That probably helps explain why I have to bail out so many of them during the year when they screw up rulings.

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 09:42pm

Well, if they're taking it as a group, it's not that easy, because each person has a different set of questions. What I don't like about the test is its inconsistency or contradictions with what's actually in the book at times. In addition, there are this year numerous typos and even some questions where the answers per the NCAA are completely incorrect.

And this is not coming from someone who has had problems with the exam. I've always passed it, oftentimes with superb scores.

Publius Fri Feb 10, 2012 09:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 822704)
Well, if they're taking it as a group, it's not that easy, because each person has a different set of questions. What I don't like about the test is its inconsistency or contradictions with what's actually in the book at times. In addition, there are this year numerous typos and even some questions where the answers per the NCAA are completely incorrect.

And this is not coming from someone who has had problems with the exam. I've always passed it, oftentimes with superb scores.

They all print out their questions, exit the exam, and get together to help each other. Then they re-enter and type in their answers after the group meeting. I've been asked to join the group several times, but always decline. Anyone who can't pass it on his own isn't very bright. 80 on an open-book test is a ridiculously low passing score.

And boy, are you right about the NCAA's inability to put out a test where all the "correct" answers are actually correct. While I've seen that in past years, I'm curious: How do you know it's true THIS year when the answers have't been released yet?

yawetag Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 822702)
I envision the NCAA setting some year as a cutoff. After that, they don't care if you're Tony Thompson, Jim Schaly, Jon Bible or Perry Costello--do their training or you can't be considered for post-season play.

I'd be happier if they made the rules test closed-book, and assignors actually used the results as one indicator of who knows WTF they're doing. A vast majority of the people I partner with during the year (I don't work D1) get together and take it as a group. That probably helps explain why I have to bail out so many of them during the year when they screw up rulings.

On the flip-side, I've seen numerous people in my profession that aced the entrance exam but sucked rocks in doing the job.

Book smart doesn't always equal street smart. To truly see how well they handle the situation, have them do it on the field. You don't have four choices in those situations.

UMP25 Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 822707)
They all print out their questions, exit the exam, and get together to help each other. Then they re-enter and type in their answers after the group meeting. I've been asked to join the group several times, but always decline. Anyone who can't pass it on his own isn't very bright. 80 on an open-book test is a ridiculously low passing score.

And boy, are you right about the NCAA's inability to put out a test where all the "correct" answers are actually correct. While I've seen that in past years, I'm curious: How do you know it's true THIS year when the answers have't been released yet?

Let's just say one can tell if you read the answers carefully (among other ways one can "know"). Dummy me forgot to print my questions before I submitted the test this year, but there was one question where THE correct answer wasn't present, so I had to choose one of the 4 given, and I did so in mild disgust.

Welpe Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:55pm

Sounds to me like MiLB found a perfect excuse to cut ties with Evans, something they were probably already looking to do. Same as when a company uses layoffs in a bad economy to cut employees they've wanted to anyways.

johnnyg08 Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 822691)
Not a bad prediction. I've said elsewhere that if he changed it to a two-week class and offered three of them over the 6 weeks, I'd look into going. Getting 5 weeks off at work is impossible; two weeks is doable.

A two-week would be amazing and more doable for anybody who entered umpiring outside of their teens or early 20's.

What person with a "real job" can afford to give it all up to attend a 5 week school?

Answer: Not many people who could be very, very good umpires.

yawetag Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 822728)
What person with a "real job" can afford to give it all up to attend a 5 week school?

And what percentage of those people are going simply to improve their own knowledge and not necessarily to get a job with MiLB?

I'd bet that if Evans ran the classes (even if he had the 5-week one), he'd find it very profitable. Charge $1,000 (or even $1,200 to make a bit more than you would with the 5-week) to be there for the two weeks; make it clear it's not to get a chance for PBUC; and put it after the 5-week classes end. The only issue is the availability of your instructors.

Publius Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 822712)
On the flip-side, I've seen numerous people in my profession that aced the entrance exam but sucked rocks in doing the job.

Book smart doesn't always equal street smart. To truly see how well they handle the situation, have them do it on the field. You don't have four choices in those situations.

That's true, but it isn't really the flip side. How many people have you seen suck on the test--where it's multiple choice, open book, and unlimited time--then go out on the field and be really good at rules application? For me, the answer is zero.

Some, though, suck at rules but have great judgment, great people skills, great presence, and handle situations fabulously. Arguably, those are better umpires than those with superior rules knowledge but who lack those other characteristics. I'd rather have them as partners, because together, we make a better crew.

Rich Sat Feb 11, 2012 01:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 822715)
Let's just say one can tell if you read the answers carefully (among other ways one can "know"). Dummy me forgot to print my questions before I submitted the test this year, but there was one question where THE correct answer wasn't present, so I had to choose one of the 4 given, and I did so in mild disgust.

I had 6 questions of 60 where the correct answer wasn't obvious. 3 of them were the video questions I got. I scored a 92% (5 incorrect), but I'm curious if I screwed up the questions I got wrong or it's the questions themselves. I'll find out eventually.

UMP25 Sat Feb 11, 2012 01:30am

I came across 6 questions where numerous typos/wrong runners were referred to, so much so that I had to keep rereading the question to make sure I understood to which runners the question was referring.

Matt Sat Feb 11, 2012 03:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 822764)
I had 6 questions of 60 where the correct answer wasn't obvious. 3 of them were the video questions I got. I scored a 92% (5 incorrect), but I'm curious if I screwed up the questions I got wrong or it's the questions themselves. I'll find out eventually.

I also had 6 like that. I ended up with an 85%, so 9 incorrect. I know one I messed up on (I knew the rule, but when I went to confirm it, I couldn't find the damn thing but one that was contradictory, and, of course, someone coincidentally posted the clause I needed two hours after I submitted it.)

johnnyg08 Sat Feb 11, 2012 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 822779)
I also had 6 like that. I ended up with an 85%, so 9 incorrect. I know one I messed up on (I knew the rule, but when I went to confirm it, I couldn't find the damn thing but one that was contradictory, and, of course, someone coincidentally posted the clause I needed two hours after I submitted it.)

The question that ticked me off the most was the based loaded, home run, R2 misses 3B question, how many runs score? No mention of an appeal, yet later on, we were told to assume a legal appeal was made. How in the hell were we supposed to know that? They make it impossible to do the test individually and get 100. There is no way.

Rich Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 822779)

I took the NFHS Part I right after this and scored 100. Now, I think the NCAA test, in theory, could be better. The idea of having video plays is great, but the questions that go with the video must be clearer, IMO. And some of the questions are simply written poorly. There must be someone better equipped to write the questions.

I believe I got lucky in that fewer of the questions I got were completely unworkable. In the end I had 3 that I just guessed on and figured if I didn't score 80 I'd go back again.

Rich Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:47am

Back to the topic:

I have been fortunate enough to go to several weekend clinics that Evans and his staff put on. Great instruction, great teaching.

The one thing I, as a 30+ year old (at the time) corporate drone thought was that the instructors seemed rough around the edges and would be an HR person's nightmare. They always mentioned that at the school that the evaluation of a person included off-the-field behavior and started when the students were picked up at the airport. Sounds like the employees of the school didn't practice what they preached.

I may just be a Charlie, but I work 3 sports and we follow certain rules about eating and drinking in public because there's a chance people will recognize us from a game or from our officiating role and we don't want the perception of us tarnished by our public behavior.

This may just have been pretext to get rid of Jim in favor of TUS, but this is a multi-billion dollar company (MLB with MiLB) who decided to cut ties with a small vendor who provided a limited service because they did something that ended up painting them with the same brush in places like the NYT and Deadspin. The school provides a dozen employees for MiLB (this year's estimate). If you remove the particulars of who it is and who it involves, would this be a surprising decision?

bob jenkins Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 822810)
The question that ticked me off the most was the based loaded, home run, R2 misses 3B question, how many runs score? No mention of an appeal, yet later on, we were told to assume a legal appeal was made. How in the hell were we supposed to know that? They make it impossible to do the test individually and get 100. There is no way.

Who told you that? I had two such questions on my test, and did NOT assume an appeal (there was a thrid such question, and that one did indicate an appeal, so the answer was easy).

Forest Ump Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 822728)
A two-week would be amazing and more doable for anybody who entered umpiring outside of their teens or early 20's.

Answer: Not many people who could be very, very good umpires.

I agree with that thought but I'm also thinking;

"What person with a wife can give up two weeks to go to umpire school and still have a wife when they get back."

Rich Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Ump (Post 822837)

"What person with a wife can give up two weeks to go to umpire school and still have a wife when they get back."

I could. I travel to umpire all the time.

johnnyg08 Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 822836)
Who told you that? I had two such questions on my test, and did NOT assume an appeal (there was a thrid such question, and that one did indicate an appeal, so the answer was easy).

An individual who helped author the test. I will not post the name on here since who (other than his credentials) it is irrelevant.

We had the same two questions then...the video one where the runner doesn't retouch 3B which stated the defense properly appealed, then the other one that I posted above. Out of protest, even though I got "the tip" I answered four runs scored because w/o that tip, there's no way anybody puts "zero runs score"

johnnyg08 Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:20pm

Quote:

I would be able to do it as probably a one time thing or every few years...my wife knows how important umpiring is to me so she would let me do it. YMMV

Publius Sat Feb 11, 2012 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 822836)

I assumed an appeal, just because I thought they would want us to. That flies in the face of a proper interpretation of the question, though.

I'm curious to see what the correct answer will be on this one:<i>

R2, R3, two outs. B1 smashes a drive into left field, and the ball bounces over the fence in fair territory. Both R2 and R3 are awarded home and B1 is awarded second. R3 touches the plate, then R2 touches the plate. The third-base coach yells for R2 to return and touch third since he had missed the bag on his way home. R2 retraces his steps by touching the plate, then going back to touch third; then, once again, coming back to touch home. When the umpire puts the ball into play, the third baseman calls for the ball and appeals that R2 had missed third on his first attempt. The umpire agrees and calls R2 out.

a.R2 is out and R3 scores.

b.R2 is out and R3's run is disallowed.

c.R3 and R2 both score. No out can be awarded since a legal appeal may not be made if the offensive team has drawn attention to any infraction by one of their runners.

d.No out is awarded. R3 and R2 score since R2 retraced his steps properly. This illustrates the "last time by" rule. </i>

Even though R2's retouch is illegal, I'm betting 'd' will be listed as the proper response.

UmpTTS43 Sat Feb 11, 2012 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 822854)
I assumed an appeal, just because I thought they would want us to. That flies in the face of a proper interpretation of the question, though.

I'm curious to see what the correct answer will be on this one:<i>

R2, R3, two outs. B1 smashes a drive into left field, and the ball bounces over the fence in fair territory. Both R2 and R3 are awarded home and B1 is awarded second. R3 touches the plate, then R2 touches the plate. The third-base coach yells for R2 to return and touch third since he had missed the bag on his way home. R2 retraces his steps by touching the plate, then going back to touch third; then, once again, coming back to touch home. When the umpire puts the ball into play, the third baseman calls for the ball and appeals that R2 had missed third on his first attempt. The umpire agrees and calls R2 out.

a.R2 is out and R3 scores.

b.R2 is out and R3's run is disallowed.

c.R3 and R2 both score. No out can be awarded since a legal appeal may not be made if the offensive team has drawn attention to any infraction by one of their runners.

d.No out is awarded. R3 and R2 score since R2 retraced his steps properly. This illustrates the "last time by" rule. </i>

Even though R2's retouch is illegal, I'm betting 'd' will be listed as the proper response.

If his retouch is illegal then why would 'd' be right. Illegal touch, he's out R3 scores. 'a' It is an illegal retouch since he touched home ofter the ball had become dead.

Publius Sat Feb 11, 2012 01:46pm

It wouldn't be, but I won't be surprised if the test writers overlooked that fact in trying to illustrate 'last time by.'

Maybe they didn't, but that's exactly the sort of mistake they've made in years past, so if they did, it won't surprise me.

UmpTTS43 Sat Feb 11, 2012 01:48pm

No doubt.

yawetag Sat Feb 11, 2012 04:20pm

Quote:

Two weeks? Easy. Five weeks? Impossible.

bob jenkins Sat Feb 11, 2012 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 822848)
An individual who helped author the test. I will not post the name on here since who (other than his credentials) it is irrelevant.

Thanks -- that's all I needed. I wasn't really asking for the name.

I can only hope they go back and give credit for either answer, or drop the question, or ....

UMP25 Sat Feb 11, 2012 06:38pm

I had that same question, and I assumed there was an appeal, probably because I definitely remember there were two immediately preceding questions that dealt with appeals, so my mind was in this appeal mode, so to speak. With two questions in a row about runners missing bases on appeals, this bases loaded/runner misses his next base question seemed to fit the pattern of the previous two questions.

UmpTTS43 Sat Feb 11, 2012 06:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 822897)

I guess I'm one of the lucky one's. Maybe the wife likes me out of the house. Logged 16,324 miles last year.

yawetag Sat Feb 11, 2012 07:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 822928)
I guess I'm one of the lucky one's. Maybe the wife likes me out of the house. Logged 16,324 miles last year.

I should rephrase. My wife would probably allow me to go away for 5 weeks. My bank account and job, though, wouldn't.

Steven Tyler Sun Feb 12, 2012 08:21am

Quote:

That will never happen until the good ol' boy club goes the way of the dodo.

Matt Sun Feb 12, 2012 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 822897)

You either haven't been married long enough nor have had enough marriages.

yawetag Sun Feb 12, 2012 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 823237)

In less than a month, it'll be 10 years with the same woman.

If you're suggesting I can't be away due to lonliness issues, that's definitely not the issue. :)

johnnyg08 Sun Feb 12, 2012 09:38pm

Quote:

Or you married the wrong woman. Two weeks for something like this would not be an issue for me either. Everybody is different though. We can't paint with a very broad brush on an issue like this.

UMP25 Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:05pm

OK, enough of the wifey talk. ;)

JRutledge Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:58am

Quote:

Everyone is not married and everyone does not have the same profession either. I would suspect that people's jobs, careers or business could not take them away for that period of time than a marriage. I know officials that have these problems just by doing a couple of sports, not just being away for weeks at a time out of town. It also does not help that the benefit of potential income in the immediate future is lacking big time if you become a Minor League Umpire. I am sure there are many reasons people find other things to do with their time for those 5 weeks.

Peace

Matt Mon Feb 13, 2012 09:50pm

We need a headslap smiley.

johnnyg08 Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 823617)
We need a headslap smiley.

I felt that Matt.

Matt Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 823629)
I felt that Matt.

Never heard that from any of my wives...

JRutledge Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 823630)
Never heard that from any of my wives...

If you had maybe they would be OK with you being gone longer. ;)

Peace

dash_riprock Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 822860)
If his retouch is illegal then why would 'd' be right. Illegal touch, he's out R3 scores. 'a' It is an illegal retouch since he touched home ofter the ball had become dead.

I went with 'a' as well. I trusted them to get the illegal touch right, and this play doesn't illustrate the "last time by" concept.

CT1 Tue Feb 14, 2012 08:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 823318)
Everyone is not married ...

I'll bet that's a huge shock to the 51% of married couples in this country.

JRutledge Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 823764)

It might be when you make a claim that the reason someone does not do something in a profession is because of their wife. ;)

Peace

Welpe Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 823764)

What about the other 49% of married couples?

yawetag Tue Feb 14, 2012 06:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 823823)

We have friends that aren't married.

Welpe Tue Feb 14, 2012 06:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 824036)
We have friends that aren't married.

Who said anything about unmarried people? He said 51% of married couples, I'm asking about the other 49% of married couples. :)

CT1 Wed Feb 15, 2012 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 823823)

They're unhappily married. :rolleyes:

JRutledge Wed Feb 15, 2012 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 824196)
They're unhappily married. :rolleyes:

Well considering that more people get divorce after being married, that might be the other way around. ;)

Peace

radwaste50 Wed Feb 15, 2012 04:46pm

My supposition is that marriage is the leading cause of divorce

MD Longhorn Wed Feb 15, 2012 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 822641)
Stop being such a child and calling names. Go back and read the story, which answers your original comment.

For the record, as much as I normally agree with you and disagree with 25 - you are wrong on this one. If the actions happened as stated in the article, then the people who dressed like that acted stupidly. You may disagree, but your disagreement doesn't mean 25 doesn't understand the story.

mbyron Wed Feb 15, 2012 07:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 824416)
For the record, as much as I normally agree with you and disagree with 25 - you are wrong on this one. If the actions happened as stated in the article, then the people who dressed like that acted stupidly. You may disagree, but your disagreement doesn't mean 25 doesn't understand the story.

Not my point. The story offers few details, and not enough to support the inflammatory headline. I'm not defending anybody.

Matt Wed Feb 15, 2012 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 824456)
Not my point. The story offers few details, and not enough to support the inflammatory headline. I'm not defending anybody.

Wrong again. The headline is not inflammatory, nor is it unsupported.

JRutledge Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 824456)

How was the headline inflammatory? I though it was pretty tame considering what the article actually referenced in the article.

Peace

Umpmazza Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 822864)
It wouldn't be, but I won't be surprised if the test writers overlooked that fact in trying to illustrate 'last time by.'

Maybe they didn't, but that's exactly the sort of mistake they've made in years past, so if they did, it won't surprise me.

do you ever think they put some of those answers doen to mess with people heads and to see what they will answer.. the purpose of the test is to get your head in the book.. I scored very well.. then helped a guy get a 100%.. so the test is not rocket science .. yes it could have been written better.

Matt Thu Feb 16, 2012 06:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpmazza (Post 824682)
do you ever think they put some of those answers doen to mess with people heads and to see what they will answer.. the purpose of the test is to get your head in the book.. I scored very well.. then helped a guy get a 100%.. so the test is not rocket science .. yes it could have been written better.

It literally takes me less time to take the MMPI than a FED test.

johnnyg08 Thu Feb 16, 2012 07:05pm

FED test took me less time than last year. There were two or three dumb questions.

What was the purpose of the "positions of the pitcher and catcher" question?

Matt Thu Feb 16, 2012 07:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 824924)
FED test took me less time than last year. There were two or three dumb questions.

How did you pull this one off? It's not available yet through MSHSL.

johnnyg08 Thu Feb 16, 2012 07:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 824925)
How did you pull this one off? It's not available yet through MSHSL.

Matt, check your PM's

The .pdf test is on the mshsl website.

yawetag Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:07am

Evans apologizes.