The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 01, 2003, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Does little league (junior/senior league) have a courtesy runner rule?
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

depends on your league's specifics. most of the time it's the pitcher and catcher. where some get sticky is the catcher may be ran for only once there is 2 outs. also, some allow that the last batted out run, others say it must be an available, non participating sub. plus, one courtesy runner per runner, please. i.e., carl lewis can't run for both david wells and ron karkovice in the same game. hope this makes sense...enjoy!
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 06:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by soonerfan
depends on your league's specifics. most of the time it's the pitcher and catcher. where some get sticky is the catcher may be ran for only once there is 2 outs. also, some allow that the last batted out run, others say it must be an available, non participating sub. plus, one courtesy runner per runner, please. i.e., carl lewis can't run for both david wells and ron karkovice in the same game. hope this makes sense...enjoy!
Sounds like a very strange rule.
Is there a reference for your explanation?
mick
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Little League does NOT have a "courtesy runner" rule per-se as you may be used to in HS.

Little League's rule is:

RULE 7.14
Once each inning a player who has not appeared in the batting order may be used as a special pinch-runner for any offensive player. The player for whom the pinchrunner runs is not subject to removal from the lineup. If the pinch runner remains in the game as a substitute offensive player or batter, the player may not be used again as a pinch-runner.

It's called a Special Pinch Runner (SPR) in LL. It can only be used once per inning. It can only be a player who has not yet been in the lineup (This means if Billy started and was removed for a sub he cannot be a SPR). The runner may run for anyone. You must anounce him as a SPR, otherwise he is considered an ordinary substitute.

Hope this helps.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by soonerfan
Sounds like a very strange rule.
Is there a reference for your explanation?
mick
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
Mick, we got a local "speed-up" rule. Cortesy runner for F2 or F1 with 2 outs. If we have a continuous batting order, it is the player who was last out, if normal baseball, sub who is not in game.....NOT considered substitution. Works for me...F1 and F2 can get out there and toss the "five and down"
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 10:19am
In Memoriam

Aha!

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s

Mick, we got a local "speed-up" rule. Cortesy runner for F2 or F1 with 2 outs. If we have a continuous batting order, it is the player who was last out, if normal baseball, sub who is not in game.....NOT considered substitution. Works for me...F1 and F2 can get out there and toss the "five and down"
chris s,
Local rules can be used pretty much the same as ground rules are used from field-to-field; though I have used 'em, I am real comfortable not using them.
Sounds like maybe soonerfan works the same league.
mick
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Soonerfan....

Quote:
Quote:

chris s,
Local rules can be used pretty much the same as ground rules are used from field-to-field; though I have used 'em, I am real comfortable not using them.
mick
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not in ca.!!!!
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 02:13pm
In Memoriam

Re: Soonerfan.... Oh right....

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

chris s,
mick
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not in ca.!!!!
...Like there aren't any Spartan fans in California.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

We use a 'speed-up rule' in our house leagues around here, as well as for travel. The only place I could umpire and don't know whether we use the speed rule is in IHSA games...guess I'll find out next spring.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

i never mentioned "rule" anywhere. those are based off the places that i have been and how they want things done. i am all for not waiting on someone between innings. especially in the summers of OK.