The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

yesterdays first game. Me and pard have good pregame, cover mechanics and such. 14U travel team tourney, I got bases. Home F1 is in a groove, PU calls time, tells him to tuck in shirt, shirt won't stay in the back(too short). Nobodys complaining bout it, cept pard...whatever. Then a batter in the box has the front of his shirt out. PU tells him to tuck it in so he can see where his belt it to call a proper strike zone. Now I'm thinking "is this for real??"

Now we be motoring along, V ties it up top 7. H comes up, one out kid gets a single. THEN, F1 goes to his mouth on the rubber, PU "thats a balk". V manager comes out arguing not that it is not a balk, but that F1 has a cut on his lip?? Pard sells the call and kid hits single, game over.

After game, I am at picnic bench with a couple of the tourney directors munching on FREE BBQ and here cometh some parents, rule book in hand. AWWWW not now!!!! They start laying into one of the directors(thank God, not me)After the , "well, what are ya gonna do?" He pops off, "Explain this to your manager, or take over for him!" I about choke on my lunch while trying not to laugh....well handled, I thought....
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
I have a good tucked shirt story.

There was this HS pitcher who was dominating. However, because of how his uniform fit, and the way he wound up, his shirt became untucked constantly.

The head coach for the other team kept asking me every half inning to have the pitcher tuck his shirt in. I thought it was pretty bush league tactic to break the pitcher's concentration.

I approached the pitcher's coach and told him, "Everyone must wear their uniforms the same. So, I have to now ask for your pitcher to tuck in his shirt."

He got the point. Next half inning, his whole team came out onto the field with their shirts untucked. Beautiful!

[Edited by Jim Porter on May 25th, 2003 at 04:53 PM]
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Let me get this straight

You watched as bozo the PU "sold" his ruling of going to the mouth is a BALK.(This implies there was a coach, umpire discussion).

This tournament sounds fairly real and competitive. You let that go by? You didn't feel any inclination to fix something so blatent? The coach OBVIOUSLY had a beef with it.. this is not the case of the clueless coach.

You should have dealt with this.
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Re: Let me get this straight

Quote:
Originally posted by BJ Moose
You watched as bozo the PU "sold" his ruling of going to the mouth is a BALK.(This implies there was a coach, umpire discussion).

This tournament sounds fairly real and competitive. You let that go by? You didn't feel any inclination to fix something so blatent? The coach OBVIOUSLY had a beef with it.. this is not the case of the clueless coach.

You should have dealt with this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~`
Moose, if I ain't asked, I aint popping in. AND it would have been even uglier. After game I told him he had mis-applied the penalty, he vehemntly denied and stuck to his guns, EVEN after I showed him 8.02. Today, he ate crow and apologized to me. Blamed it on his high blood pressure med.......And yes, coach was agreeing with him about the penalty, but denying pitcher licked his fingers