The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Did anyone see the Tampa Bay game last night where they changed a foul ball call. Randy Marsh was at first. Huff for the D-rays hits a bouncer down the first base line. Marsh calls it foul. Sweet Lou comes out to argue, the crew gets together and they change it to a fair ball and Marsh gets an RBI double. Anyone see this and any comments. Personally, I couldn't believe it when I saw it. The same crew also booted a homerun call in this game also. Bad day alla round I guess.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Did they say on what basis the call was changed? Hard to believe it was interpretation of a rule.
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see it but it is hard to believe taking back a foul ball call. The defense has got to be saying "no rush on this one; it's a foul ball." Then the umpire gives the batter a double. Sounds incredible to me.
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the game, but can speculate. There is some precedence for reversing the call.

First off . . . did Randy actually verbalize "Foul" or did he simply point foul? And did the Plate Umpire do anything to indicate "Foul" or was he actually indicating a fair ball?

In that scenario, (where one ump indicates "foul"; another shows "fair"), a play can stand; providing no one reacted to the erroneous call of "Foul". I'm guessing that's what the discussion was about and the ultimate decision to grant a double to the batter.