The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Is there a rule in Little League that only a manager is allowed to talk to the umpire and opposing manager? Are the coaches not allowed to talk, give opionions or answer questions?
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Yes. See 2.00 "Manager" in the LL rule book.

The MANAGER is a person appointed by the president to be responsible for the team’s actions on the field, and to represent the team in communications with the umpire and the opposing team.

(a) The manager shall always be responsible for the team’s conduct, observance of the official rules and deference to the umpires.

(b) If a manager leaves the field, that manager shall designate a coach as a substitute and such substitute manager shall have the duties, rights and responsibilities of the manager.
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JTS22
Is there a rule in Little League that only a manager is allowed to talk to the umpire and opposing manager? Are the coaches not allowed to talk, give opionions or answer questions?
If Manager and Assistant coach comes out to argue a call, Toss the ***. Coach...lol

I did this in a High School game. Manager and Assistant come out simultaneously to argue a balk call I made.
I asked: "who is the Manager?" Manager said: " I am the Manager." I looked at Assistant Coach and said:

"YOU'RE GONE!"

After he left the field, I said: "OK Coach, what would you like to talk about?".

Old Tue May 06, 2003, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds a little bit over agressive to me , but I guess I would have had to been there.
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee

I did this in a High School game. Manager and Assistant come out simultaneously to argue a balk call I made.
I asked: "who is the Manager?" Manager said: " I am the Manager." I looked at Assistant Coach and said:

"YOU'RE GONE!"

After he left the field, I said: "OK Coach, what would you like to talk about?".

Expect to receive the same respect on the field that you show........

Freix

Old Wed May 07, 2003, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for answering. just to add a little more to it...is it up to the umpire to decide or can the opposing manager complain if the coach says anything?
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for answering. just to add a little more to it...is it up to the umpire to decide or can the opposing manager complain if the coach says anything?
It's up to the umpire to decide.

Old Wed May 07, 2003, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

thumpferee writes:

"If Manager and Assistant coach comes out to argue a call, Toss the ***. Coach...lol

1. Ever try saying: Excuse me guys, just one out here at a time.

2. Ejections are not always a sign of positive game management.

[Edited by GarthB on May 8th, 2003 at 12:01 AM]
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Why would the manager/coach need to talk to the opposing manager/coach?

Bob
Old Thu May 08, 2003, 05:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
thumpferee writes:

"If Manager and Assistant coach comes out to argue a call, Toss the ***. Coach...lol

1. Ever try saying: Excuse me guys, just one out here at a time.

2. Ejections are not always a sign of positive game management.

[Edited by GarthB on May 8th, 2003 at 12:01 AM]
I don't like tossing anyone. You had to be there.

High School Teams from Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, come down to play in Florida every summer as part of a pre-season exhibition. The fans were the worst I had EVER SEEN!
Complained about EVERY call. Opposing coaches were arguing, fans were ready to fight.

So in one inning, I called a balk on pitcher for stepping towards home (on plate side of his 90%) with a man on 1st and third. Both Coaches come out at me screamin' getting fans in a frenzy. That's when I tossed him. They should know who can come out, and if they didn't, they know now.

Everyone is really goin' crazy now. An inning later, the other team brings in a new pitcher. He hits the first 2 batters. The next pitch to third batter is behind batter. I toss the pitcher. Anyway, both Coaches come out, one saying "that's my son, he's not throwing at anyone". I say "are you the Manager"? He says "no"...well, YOUR GONE!

He came and got in my face like he was gonna punch me. My partner was nowhere to be found I might add. So I swell up and get in his face and tell him "I said your gone, now get out of my face and off the field". I know I probably shouldn't have, but I wasn't gettin' suckered.

My statement: >"If Manager and Assistant coach comes out to argue a call, Toss the Assistant Coach...lol
wasn't meant as a standard, just as a situational jest.

Old Thu May 08, 2003, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

I only asked because there is a situation in our Little League (if you can believe it!) where the board said they were going to enforce the rule that the manager is the ONLY person to be talking to the umpires. It has always been rather laid back until this point, but there are some managers and members of this board that don't like one of the coaches on one of the teams therefore whenever a call is casually questioned the opposing manager (depending on the team) starts yelling that only the manager can talk!! The umpires almost always say they have it under control and tell the opposing manager that. It just seems ridiculous to be happening in little league and that if there is only one person out there at a time I don't see the problem especially if the umpires don't have a problem. Can the manager of the team "appoint" a coach to be his spokesman?
Old Thu May 08, 2003, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By Rule...2 Definition of Terms...See: the MANAGER (a) (b)...page 51 of 2003 Rules Book.

The Manager is a person appointed by the president to be responsible for the team's actions on the field, and to represent the team in communications with the umpire and the opposing team.

(a) The manager shall ALWAYS be responsible for the team's conduct, observance of the official rules and DEFERENCE TO THE UMPIRES.

(b) If a manager LEAVES THE FIELD, that manager shall designate a coach as a substitute and such substitute manager shall have the duties, rights and responsibilities of the manager.

Hope that helps.

I make it a point in my pre-game plate meeting to inform the Managers of this. If they have a question concerning a call or a rule interpretation, they are the ONLY ones to come out and question the call with the umpire who made the call.
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen, theres is only one tiltle that is important in my games, and that is mine, "Game Official".

Manager, coach, parent ,player, waterboy, whomever are allowed to converse with me, because I am approachable. Are we going to start making them wear ID bracelets? Were talking LL here.

I always remember one thing when Im in charge of a game, I HAVE THE FINAL SAY. All the rest is immaterial, titles discussions, etc.
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen, theres is only one tiltle that is important in my games, and that is mine, "Game Official".

Manager, coach, parent ,player, waterboy, whomever are allowed to converse with me, because I am approachable. Are we going to start making them wear ID bracelets? Were talking LL here.

I always remember one thing when Im in charge of a game, I HAVE THE FINAL SAY. All the rest is immaterial, titles discussions, etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
Sure, you do have final say, but you can be sure that when I get the managers for a plate meeting , there is only the managers. WHY? you may ask? BECAUSE I am not going to have every "waterboy/mom/coach...etc..." asking me interps. I am very approachable, but I am not gonna tell the skipper, then the base coach, then the scorer, then the freakin waterboy! We have a game to play here and I'm not running the PA system.....JMHO
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone

If I'm not mistaken, LL is not just for kids 12 and under. LL is a set of rules used by Junior and Senior division ball as well. Coaches should know the rules at that level. We are not there to teach them the rules every game, we are there to enforce them.

I'm with you chris s.