The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 04, 2003, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

I thought this was quite interesting to see last weekend when the UT Longhorns hosted the Kansas St. Wildcats in Austin, Texas.

B1 batted a ball to the 2nd baseman, and in doing this, the pitcher takes off running towards first base between first base and the now batter-runner. The crazy thing was that the pitcher had no obligation to run to 1st base since the 1st baseman was ready to receive the throw and the catcher was covering behind 1st. Anyway, the pitcher times his run and nearly runs into the runner but still allowing the batter-runner to pass him and try to beat out the throw. This PLAY keeps happening throughout the game and even the BB announcers were confused as to why such an action by the pitcher.

May question is, is this type of action by the pitcher allowed? I know it would be OBSTRUCTION if the pitcher ran into the runner. But I simply think this kind of action is confusing.........but now, is it a FAIR way to play?
Old Sun May 04, 2003, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

I had this in a HS game I did. Never had seen it before. Is it something new that teams are doing now? My situation was exactly the same. Pitcher timed his run to JUSTMISS the batter/runner, in running by him into foul territory towards the first base dugout. He wasnt backing up the bag or anything close. He was trying to get the batter/runner to slow down or delay his arrival to first.
I warned the pitcher. I watched him for the rest of the game. I was just waiting for the batter/runner to hesitate in running down the line, or ANYTHING close and I was going to nail F1 for obstruction. I asked a couple fellow officials and they hadnt seen it before, but agreed with me, and wouldve called same.
Its obvious is just something else that guys are coming up with to try and gain an advantage.
He did it a few more times during the game, but nothing close. I guess I probably should have nailed him anyways??
Old Sun May 04, 2003, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Question High level Bush league

I can't believe some Coach at that level allowed his player to do something as bush as that!

T-ball, Coach pitch, low level Little League, maybe, but never above that level.

Was the Catcher yelling "swing, batter" on every pitch?

Were the batters wiggling their bats on every 3-0 count?

A Coach tolerating bush league play is in line for some rude awakenings.

Senior