The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 04, 2003, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

14 and under Fed baseball game. Pitcher off the rubber, strecthes, makes move to home, then throws to first. Runner is nailed because of the fake. PU calls balk, and I the BU agree. Coaches, pitcher and dad go crazy. I'm using Rule 6-2-5.

Is there something else hear I don't know about?

Old Sun May 04, 2003, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Smile good call

that was definitely the right call!.....The pitcher cannot make a complete motion towards homeplate or make movement that commits him toward throwing to homeplate unless he is set on the rubber. If the pitcher makes his set position and fakes the throw home without him actually being on the rubber, that's a BALK!

As for the pitcher, pitcher's dad, and the coach, I don't know how and where they got the idea that this particular motion was legal.

You made the right call.
Old Sun May 04, 2003, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Gemini [/i]

14 and under Fed baseball game. Pitcher off the rubber, strecthes, makes move to home, then throws to first. Runner is nailed because of the fake. PU calls balk, and I the BU agree. Coaches, pitcher and dad go crazy. I'm using Rule 6-2-5.

Is there something else hear I don't know about?

When in doubt go to the FED case book

FED case book play 6.2.5A

With R1, F1, in the stretch position, steps quickly backward off the pitcher's plate and with a motion much like his pitching delivery throws to the plate where (a) B1 hits the throw or (b) R1 is thrown out stealing by F2 on a pitchout.

RULING : In both (a) and (b) it is a balk. F1 while NOT TOUCHING the pitcher's plate, shall not make any movement naturally associated with the pitch.

Your scenario is similar to the above case Play.

My only question would be; Why was R1 off the first base bag to begin with when F1 is not TOUCHING the plate? We all played the game and that was one of the first rules of baserunning that I learned.

Your balk call was correct, but somewhere it would be nice to have a rule that says "if a player makes a "bonehead" mistake then all bets off". As a base runner you should be on the bag until F1 contacts the rubber, then you take your lead.

Pete Booth
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Does it change any under OBR rules if:

R1 and the pitcher on the rubber in his preliminary position. He then comes set. Then he steps back off the rubber and fakes a throw home (pitcher just had a brain fart!) no intent to deceive. Still a balk?

Rules to support always helpful.

Thank you.
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

You've described two different scenarios. The earlier one does not say F1 "steps back off the rubber". If F1 is in a legal set position and steps back (behind) the rubber with the pivot foot, "he then has the right to throw or feint to a base the same as that of any other infielder." 6.1.3

Old Mon May 05, 2003, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Fred -

Did I not describe one new scenario and not two different ones? Yes, I understand the one I described was different than the original tread. Believed it was a close enough topic so not to open a new thread.

The quote of rule 6.1.3 is that FED?? I'm interested in OBR.

Thanks again.
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry... trying to do too many things at once here. The quote was a FED rule. I should have added that.