Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Steve R Send a message via Yahoo to Steve R
I umpired 2 little league games last night
I had 2 guys try to score on pass balls without
sliding I called them both out.Was that the right
interpertataion of the new rule?
Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Rule 7.08-(a)-(3) The runner is out when: the runner does not slide or attempt to get around a fielder who HAS the ball and is waiting to make the tag. In your description it seems as though the ball was still rolling to the backstop, or the catcher didn't make an attempt to play on the runner, in which case the runner does NOT have to slide. There is no such thing as a MUST SLIDE RULE. In LL, the defense MUST have posession of the ball, or obstruction could be called. (In FED, if I'm not mistaken, it's within one step of receiving the ball for interference to be called)
This is JMO.

[Edited by thumpferee on Apr 24th, 2003 at 12:53 PM]
Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

re:
ex: r1 on 3rd r2 on 1st,
pitch goes to the backstop,
r2 is going to 2nd and r1 is coming home.
Catcher fields ball and throws to the plate where f1 is waiting for the ball.
R1 does not slide and the ball hits r1 before he touches home plate.
On the deflected ball by r1,
r2 goes to 3rd.
Interference on r1,
he is out and put r2 back on 2nd.

*** just what rule states this???
Lots of luck finding it - there isn't any such rule!!!
Teach your players how to make a good throw, and play on an advacning runner.....

re:
if a runner does not slide and he collides with a fielder making a play on him,
is automatically ejected

*** so, you are saying that - if a runner attempts to go around a fielder making a play,
and their is incidental contact, that the runner is automatically ejected - - - hmmmm,
I think not!!!

*** Little League rule book:
RULE 7.08
Any runner is out when -

(3) the runner does not slide or attempt to get around a fielder who has the ball and is waiting to make the tag;
Little League Casebook
Comment: There is no “must slide rule.” The rule is, “slide or attempt to get around.” The key in this situation is “fielder has the ball and is waiting to make a tag.” If the fielder (any fielder, not just the catcher) does not have the ball, and there is a collision, you CANNOT call the runner out. However, if the umpire determines that the runner deliberately attempted to injure the fielder, the umpire could eject the runner for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Back to the books friend.....
Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Rog, when you're right you're right.

I shoulda stopped when I was ahead when I stated: Rule 7.08-(a)-(3) The runner is out when: the runner does not slide or attempt to get around a fielder who HAS the ball and is waiting to make the tag. In your description it seems as though the ball was still rolling to the backstop, or the catcher didn't make an attempt to play on the runner, in which case the runner does NOT have to slide.

The example I posed was just a FED situation. I even got confused myself there along the way.

You think maybe I should read over my post before I submit it? lol

Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

When my son played 12-and-under baseball (technically Babe Ruth) in our township, they had a house rule that runners had to slide on any "close" play, except at 1B, as well as on every "steal" of home.

Runners were called out when they scored standing up, without contact, if the throw arrived within a few seconds, even if the catcher was away from the plate. A runner who went into 3B standing up with the ball still in the outfield was out if he so much as bumped F5, even if F5 was standing on 3B.

Runners were called out on wild pitches that bounced far away from the catcher, even though the runner walked across they plate with nobody within 30 feet of him. They considered that a "steal" of home. Runners learned to stop a couple of feet from the plate and then get on the ground and "slide" into the plate.

How to develop instincts for the game!

Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Re:
I even got confused myself there along the way.

You think maybe I should read over my post before I submit it? lol

Hey, cut it out - I resemble those remarks : - )
Old Sat Apr 26, 2003, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

I agree

I agree with thrumpferee. If the catcher is still chasing the ball and the runner scores, he is obviously safe because the catcher does not have the ball and is not attempting anykind of tag.

It is to your discretion to make such a call, but you must realize the catcher or pitcher must have the ball and be waiting for the tag for the rule to be in affect. It would be utterly absurd to call the runner out win the ball is at the backstop and the catcher is giving chase and the runner already has scored.

I guess all I could tell you is use your best judgement and stick by it.