The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Saw the potential for a great offensive play in one of my games.

Extra innings. R1 and R3. One out. Relatively short batter comes up. R3 takes off for home as the first pitch is being delivered. Batter squares to bunt. Good thinking. Pitch is above batter's head. He still tries to bunt it and fouls it off. Bad thinking. I'm thinking the bunt was a great idea. I'm also thinking that the catcher likely could not have gotten up high enough to catch the pitch and gotten back down in time to tag R3. Batter should probably have just gotten out of the way.

When this was over I'm thinking "Wow, what a great play. It is indefensible. Surely they will try it again."

Nope. Pitch is down in the zone and batter swings away for infield pop-up. Now two out and opportunity is gone. Another out ensued and more extra innings followed.

What is your great play so far this season?
Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Accually same thing as happened to you but better. Bottom of 7 in a 1-1 ball game. R3, 1 out, 0-1 count. Pitcher in full windup. As soon as he steps for delivery R3 is heading home. He is about 3/4 of the way to home before pitch is delivered. Catcher sees runner and starts to come up some but stays back so no catcher interference. Batter squares and tried a drag bunt but misses. Actually ends up clearing himself from any interference himself. I got a stirke for the missed bunt, catcher drives for runner and gets him on the hip. SAFE!! BALLGAME!!

Coach argued for only about 10 seconds which surprised me a little. Partner and I change gear to get ready for 2nd game. Hit the field again, coach comes up to me and apologizes to me cuz a fan of his team tried to get into my face but the AD handled that and then he apologized for yelling at me cuz he said he really did not see the whole thing. His Assistant and the catcher both told him it was a good call.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.